Re: New Orleans

  • Jim Greathouse <JGreath510@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 47 , Dec 31, 2002
      93rd,
      Sir, your below point raised a question.

      > He also mentioned, as did I previously (and you carefully edited
      around) the
      > SELLING of clothes -- just as bad an offense as the stealing of
      them in that,
      > sold or stolen, they are the property of the Crown and Government.

      Was the selling of a dead comrade's clothes not acceptable or common
      in the British army? I believe it was common in the navy to sell the
      sailor's kit and the money collected would be forwarded to the his
      widow or family. I am fully aware that in the navy there was no such
      thing as enlisted uniforms and that the officers had to purchase
      their outfits, so there would not be the issue of the clothing being
      property of the Crown. Still, I guess I was under the impression
      that the army would do the same thing.

      Regards,
      JBG
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 12, 2009
        Many thanks to you Maurice for keep up the Navy participation in the event.
        Always good to have navy involved in an amphibious operation!

        In a message dated 1/12/2009 2:19:52 PM Central Standard Time,
        depasmaurice@... writes:

        Thanks to all in attendance for a splendid weekend. Ashley and I send our
        Best Wishes and
        look forward to seeing all our friends again when time and tide permit.
        Cheers and God Save the King.
        Maurice DePas

        steps!
        cemailfooterNO62)