How common was hay?

  • scott mcmahon
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
      Since this has come up I was wondering... howoften would the army have
      actualy had hay or straw(understanding that they didn't have bales) to use
      as bedding? Was this a common practice? Just curious...
      Scott McMahon

      http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_smartspamprotection_3mf
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
        From: "scott mcmahon" <mountedranger@...>

        ... howoften would the army have actualy had hay or straw
        _____________

        Returns and records state that mattresses in forts were stuffed
        with straw and that it had to be changed on a regular basis.

        I doubt if they would have taken it on the march.

        Larry Lozon
        AdC ~ Crown Forces
      • scott mcmahon
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
          Returns and records state that mattresses in forts were stuffed
          with straw and that it had to be changed on a regular basis.

          I doubt if they would have taken it on the march.

          Larry Lozon
          AdC ~ Crown Forces

          Thanks for the reply... I assumed they had straw while in a permanent
          encampment/garrison but I was questioning the use of straw while on
          campaign. Regarding my comment on paved roads, stone monuments and
          factories/plants... it was spoken in jest. Here in Texas we have a site
          almost identical to New Orleans- it's called San Jacinto. The only problem
          with San Jacinto is we don't have the quarter like they do in New Orleans!
          Hope everyone has a great New Year.
          Sincerely,
          Scott McMahon

          STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 3 months FREE*.
          http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_stopmorespam_3mf
        • HQ93rd@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
            In a message dated 31/12/02 8:03:55 AM, mountedranger@... writes:

            << Regarding my comment on paved roads, stone monuments and
            factories/plants... it was spoken in jest. Here in Texas we have a site
            almost identical to New Orleans- it's called San Jacinto. The only problem
            with San Jacinto is we don't have the quarter like they do in New Orleans!
            Hope everyone has a great New Year.
            Sincerely,
            Scott McMahon >>

            And I always enjoyed the Mexican Army charging the south wall of the Alamo
            coming through the Menger Hotel, and Travis dying inside the Post Office.
            At least San Antonio has the River Walk...
            ;-)

            93rd SHRoFLHU
            THE Thin Red Line
            www.93rdhighlanders.com
          • Raymond Hobbs
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
              Scott et al.
              I recall reading the journal of one US soldier who said that after a few
              months of campaign he had gotten used to sleeping on the soft side of a
              pine board! Don't have the reference at hand but I'll dig it out.
              Anyway, this suggests that on campaign, the lads dossed down on anything
              remotely comfortable.
              Ray Hobbs
              41st

              Scott Jeznach wrote:

              I haven't seen any mention of soldiers in the US army being issued bed
              sacks/ticks as individuals which they might take with them on campaign.
              I must admit that this isfar from my area of expertise. Can anyone shed
              more light on this?

            • Raymond Hobbs
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                Thank you Pte Parkinson - just goes to show what quality there is in the
                41st.
                Incoming!!!
                Ray Hobbs
                CO 41st Regt.
                Hamilton

              • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                  Hi Larry, Scott, Tracy & all,

                  The straw in barracks is pretty common on both sides. The question that
                  comes to the fore on campaign is that most of the campaigns were in
                  rural areas, covered with farms which might well have hay and straw
                  gathered for their animals and other uses. I haven't seen any mention
                  of soldiers in the US army being issued bed sacks/ticks as individuals
                  which they might take with them on campaign. I must admit that this is
                  far from my area of expertise. Can anyone shed more light on this?

                  HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

                  Regards,

                  Bob Dorian
                  US Surgeon
                • Scott Jeznach
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                    The straw in barracks is pretty common on both sides. The question that
                    comes to the fore on campaign is that most of the campaigns were in
                    rural areas, covered with farms which might well have hay and straw
                    gathered for their animals and other uses. I haven't seen any mention
                    of soldiers in the US army being issued bed sacks/ticks as individuals
                    which they might take with them on campaign. I must admit that this is
                    far from my area of expertise. Can anyone shed more light on this?

                    >The use of straw during campaigns in the field is probably "rarely happened" occurrence. It's something that just became traditional with reenactors since the Civil War Centennial and Rev War Bicentennial.

                    >Ticks in the British Army were something issued as part of the barracks equipment.

                    >Soldiers in the field improvised with local shrubbery as padding, or slept directly on the ground with a blanket. Accounts for the Royal Marines show orders given to carry a blanket roll with a change of shirt, socks, and shoe soles, and nothing else.

                    >Another account by a private in the Light Division during the Iberian campaign recalls his being billetted in a monastary, but not given a bed to sleep in. His description of sleeping arrangements include going outside, cutting a bunch of rushes, and piling them on the stone floor. He then emptied out his haversack and wore it as a sleeping cap, layed his one blanket on the rushes, tied off the sleeves of his greatcoat and pushed his legs and feet into the sleeves, pulling the greatcoat skirt up to his chin. His red jacket he wrapped around his torso, then pulled the sides of his blanket around himself.

                    Scott J.
                    Royal Marines

                  • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                      Thanks Scott! Quite interesting stuff.

                      Bob
                    • Rich Parkinson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002

                      • hm95thfoot <fullerfamily@sprintmail.com>
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Jeznach" <sjeznach@w...>
                          wrote:

                          > >Another account by a private in the Light Division during the
                          Iberian campaign recalls his being billetted in a monastary, but not
                          given a bed to sleep in. His description of sleeping arrangements
                          include going outside, cutting a bunch of rushes, and piling them on
                          the stone floor. He then emptied out his haversack and wore it as a
                          sleeping cap, layed his one blanket on the rushes, tied off the
                          sleeves of his greatcoat and pushed his legs and feet into the
                          sleeves, pulling the greatcoat skirt up to his chin. His red jacket
                          he wrapped around his torso, then pulled the sides of his blanket
                          around himself.

                          > Scott J.
                          > Royal Marines

                          And that would be, and I quote:

                          "....I shall give an account of how I slept this winter. In one
                          corner of my room I have collected a quantity of dry fern, this forms
                          my bed, it being necessary to strip to keep free from vermin. Every
                          night the contents of my haversack is transferred to my knapsack.
                          This forms my pillow and at the same time secures my kit and
                          provisions from midnight marauders. The haversack is then converted
                          to a night cap. Being stripped, my legs are then thrust into the
                          sleeves of an old watch coat, carefully tied at the cuffs to
                          keep out the cold. The other part of the coat wrapped around my body
                          served for under blanket and sheet. Next my trousers are drawn on my
                          legs over the sleeves of the coat, my red jacket has the
                          distinguished place of covering my seat of honour and lastly my
                          blanket covers all. In this manner I have slept as comfortable as a
                          prince."

                          - p.74, Wheeler, William, LETTERS OF PRIVATE WHEELER, Boston, 1952,
                          Houghton Mifflin, 1st US ed. (edited and with a foreword by Captain
                          B.H. Liddell Hart.) Wheeler served in the 51st Foot (King's Own
                          Yorkshire Light Infantry) from 1809 to 1828. He served in the ill-
                          fated Walcheren expedition, then through Wellington's Peninsula
                          campaigns and also at Waterloo in 1815. He retired as a sgt.

                          RF
                        • Rich Parkinson
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 1, 2003
                              Bob << The straw in barracks is pretty common on both sides. The question
                              that
                              comes to the fore on campaign is that most of the campaigns were in
                              rural areas, covered with farms which might well have hay and straw
                              gathered for their animals and other uses. I haven't seen any mention
                              of soldiers in the US army being issued bed sacks/ticks as individuals
                              which they might take with them on campaign. I must admit that this is
                              far from my area of expertise. Can anyone shed more light on this? >>

                              I have it on good authority that Brit soldiers, at least, would skulk about
                              in the night and knock others over the head to get their straw for bedding...
                              ;-)
                              93rd SHRoFLHU
                              THE Thin Red Line
                              www.93rdhighlanders.com
                            • ebclemson <ebclemson@webtv.net>
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 1, 2003
                                Rich,

                                I agree this is a very good book with great accounts. Another description by Hanks is found on page 28: "We pitched our tents, spread hemlock boughs for our beds...."

                                In the same book is an account by an Pennsylvania Volunteer who was in Porters Brigade. On page 62, he writes:

                                " The tents arriving, we commenced our march for Lake Erie on Monday, the 4th [March 1814], and crossed the North Mountain to McConnelsburg, in Bedford County, where the tents were pitched, STRAW PROVIDED, and we began to assume a military appearance."

                                The REGULATIONS FOR THE ....INFANTRY ...also known as Smyths, published in Philadelphia 1812, can be found on page 171 under "Police of the Camp":

                                "One officer of a company will every day visit the tents, see that they are kept clean; that every utensil belonging ... ... is in proper order...and when the weather is fine, will order them (tents) to be struck about two hours at noon, and the straw and bedding well aired."

                                The MILITARY LAWS AND RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR THE ARMIES OF THE UNITED STATES, published in Washington, May 1st 1813, on page 203...."No purchases on public account, will be made by the Quartermasters department, but of the following articles----
                                1st. Of Forage
                                2nd Of Food.
                                3rd straw for soldiers' bedding
                                ...etc.

                                On page 208 of the same book is found...
                                "OF STRAW One truss of straw, weighing 36 puonds, is allowed for every two men.
                                At the expiration of 16 days, each truss is to be refreshed with 8 pounds. At the expiration of 32 days, the whole straw is to be removed, and a fresh bedding of one truss to be furnished..."

                                I also agree with Tim Pickles that if 'straw bales' are present in our camps, that they should be broken up. When the 1st, 7th, 25th, CLC (all sister units) formed a company and attended Fort Erie a few years ago, we were greeted with a "depot" of straw bales stacked at the edge of our camp. As soon as the suggestion was made.....the bales were gone, and nothing but a pile of straw left. Bales or no bales, the men still found the way to used this "mound" to their benifit while eating their meals.

                                If a site wants to use hay bales for the public to sit on ...that is great, but in a camp that we are attempting to make as authentic as possible (without people dying or getting sick,etc.) then modern straw bales should not be allowed in camp.

                                The subject came up that there were not baling machines yet....so....how did they produce "Cotton Bales" ?

                                Adiu,

                                Dave Bennett 1st U.States Infy. & Missouri Rangers.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 1, 2003
                                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Raymond Hobbs <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
                                  > Scott et al.
                                  > I recall reading the journal of one US soldier who said that after a few
                                  > months of campaign he had gotten used to sleeping on the soft side of a
                                  > pine board! Don't have the reference at hand but I'll dig it out.
                                  > Anyway, this suggests that on campaign, the lads dossed down on anything
                                  > remotely comfortable.
                                  > Ray Hobbs
                                  > 41st
                                  >
                                  > Scott Jeznach wrote:
                                  >
                                  > I haven't seen any mention of soldiers in the US army being issued bed
                                  > sacks/ticks as individuals which they might take with them on campaign.
                                  > I must admit that this isfar from my area of expertise. Can anyone shed
                                  > more light on this?

                                  Scott, the only records I have found where bedsacks were issued in the U.States Army was in regards to Hospital stores. I can't find my papers on this right now, but believe that sheets and bed sacks were issued to garrison hospitals.

                                  Dave B.
                                • nappingcrow <nappingcrow@hotmail.com>
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 1, 2003
                                    > Scott, the only records I have found where bedsacks were issued in
                                    the U.States Army was in regards to Hospital stores. I can't find
                                    my papers on this right now, but believe that sheets and bed sacks
                                    were issued to garrison hospitals.

                                    > Dave B.

                                    In "These Relics of Barbarism: A History of Furniture in Barracks and
                                    Guardhouses of the United States Army, 1800-1880" the author (D. A.
                                    Clary) quotes Henry Dearborn (April 28th, 1801) as follows:
                                    "One truss of straw weighing thirty-six pounds, is allowed for each
                                    palliass for two men," and states that this appeared in the 1808
                                    regulations.

                                    I realize this isn't a receipt or orderly book, but wouldn't this
                                    seem to imply that bedsacks or bed-ticks were generally expected in
                                    winter quarters when the campaigning had settled down?

                                    Thanks,
                                    Brian S.
                                  • David S. Mallinak
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 1, 2003
                                      > The use of straw during campaigns in the field is probably
                                      > "rarely happened" occurrence. It's something that just became
                                      > traditional with reenactors since the Civil War Centennial and
                                      > Rev War Bicentennial.

                                      For use of straw in the Rev war period. It was part of the Von Stueben
                                      procedures in the American Rev War army to have the pioneers to mark out
                                      the camp and drop off tool to cut the grass. The troops doing the cutting
                                      for bedding. Von Stueben also recommends that if the Army is going to be in
                                      the same place for several days, that on sunny days, that the camp tents be
                                      taken down, to air out/turn over the straw/bedding.

                                      The use of straw (defined as dried field grasses) would depend on the time
                                      of year and the state of the field in which the army was camping.

                                      HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

                                      Your humble and obedient servant,
                                      David S Mallinak
                                    • ebclemson <ebclemson@webtv.net>
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 1, 2003
                                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "nappingcrow <nappingcrow@h...>" <nappingcrow@h...> wrote:
                                        > > Scott, the only records I have found where bedsacks were issued in
                                        > the U.States Army was in regards to Hospital stores. I can't find
                                        > my papers on this right now, but believe that sheets and bed sacks
                                        > were issued to garrison hospitals.
                                        > >
                                        > > Dave B.
                                        >
                                        > In "These Relics of Barbarism: A History of Furniture in Barracks and
                                        > Guardhouses of the United States Army, 1800-1880" the author (D. A.
                                        > Clary) quotes Henry Dearborn (April 28th, 1801) as follows:
                                        > "One truss of straw weighing thirty-six pounds, is allowed for each
                                        > palliass for two men," and states that this appeared in the 1808
                                        > regulations.
                                        >
                                        > I realize this isn't a receipt or orderly book, but wouldn't this
                                        > seem to imply that bedsacks or bed-ticks were generally expected in
                                        > winter quarters when the campaigning had settled down?
                                        >
                                        > Thanks,
                                        > Brian S.

                                        Brian,

                                        I already quoted the regulation allowing a "truss of straw" in one of my previous notes. That information came out of my original 1813 regulations.

                                        What does "Pilliass" mean?

                                        No, I do not believe that the issue of straw indicates that bedsacks were necessarily issued. Barracks appears to had bed sacks issued to, but again, I have never seen bed sacks issued to individual soldiers. It appears that in garrisons, and "barracks" that bedsacks were purchased or made by company tailors and probably staid with that location, and not with the soldiers.

                                        In my previous post, I quoted the regulations on inspecting the straw while the army is moving and in camp. Straw was issued, but this does not imply that every man was running around with his own little bedsack.

                                        My wife has come across first hand accounts of Officers wives writing about traveling with the army. At least two of them indicated they slept on bear skins. Apparently, even American officers did not always use bedsacks on a march.

                                        Adiu, Dave Bennett. 1st U.States Infy.
                                      • Mark Dickerson
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 1, 2003
                                          In modern terms "dried field grasses" would be hay. Straw is the left over stems of harvested wheat, rye, beans, etc.
                                          Mark D
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 2, 2003
                                            Hi Dave,

                                            Palliasses (From French word for straw, variants palliasse,
                                            paillasse, etc.) were sacks or mattresses filled with straw, and seem
                                            to have a history in the British army predating the American
                                            Revolution, and also seem to have been inherited by the American
                                            army.

                                            I didn't mean to imply I thought bedsacks were issued/used on the
                                            march, but rather that I was wondering whether they were expected in
                                            winter quarters - when the army had theoretically settled down in
                                            huts. (My use of "huts" here following Clary's, and different from
                                            the more permanent "barracks".) As quoted, they'd have been used for
                                            two men rather than one to each.

                                            I also have a copy of the 1813 regulations, and they omit the
                                            word "palliass" which was used in 1808. Whether this is because they
                                            weren't used, or because they were assumed/implied as routine items I
                                            do not know. I haven't seen a first hand account of them, so I'm
                                            curious about what others think.

                                            I haven't seen much on what campaign life was like for officer's
                                            wives in the American army of the time - when's your wife going to
                                            publish? :-)

                                            If you can track down a copy of "These Relics of Barbarism" it's
                                            worth it.

                                            Thanks, and Happy New Year
                                            Brian S.
                                          • Brian Howard
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 2, 2003
                                              A note from the Southern theatre. In an order book of
                                              the 5th Va militia dated May, 1814 to Nov, 1814, the
                                              use of boards for tent floors was preferred over
                                              straw. Straw cost company funds and the boards lasted
                                              much longer than the staw. This was for the units
                                              camped around the Norfolk and Portsmouth area of
                                              Virginia.

                                              Brian
                                              2nd Va Regiment, 1813-1815

                                              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                            • ebclemson <ebclemson@webtv.net>
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 2, 2003
                                                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "nappingcrow <nappingcrow@h...>" <nappingcrow@h...> wrote:

                                                Hi Brian,

                                                Great information thanks. Yes, I'll track down the book you mentioned. I saw that Feltoe had also mentioned "Palliasses" in British issues.

                                                I've seen "huts" used more than "barracks".... I may be wrong here, but from the American records I've read...it appears huts were single story and barracks were two story? But, Hay <g>.....I'm guessing.

                                                This has been a great thread on HAY and STRAW. Every thing you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask.

                                                By the way, "MAKE HAY WHILE THE SUN SHINES"....is a great period phrase. Col. Jacob Kingsbury, 1st Infantry used this in a letter before the War.

                                                As far as the accounts of women ...1) Lydia's Bacon's account is good one. Her husband was in the 4th U.States Infantry.
                                                2) My wife publish? Actually, she has but not this particular subject though she has given presentations on this subject.

                                                3) Norman Caldwell wrote some very fine
                                                articles on Civilians during the war era.

                                                Dave B.