New Pattern Releases

  • Five Rivers
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30 10:46 AM
      Finally the military coatee patterns we've been waiting for from Past
      Patterns are released. Five Rivers is carrying them; however, due to our
      website changing over as of January 1 to a more efficient and user-friendly
      system (featuring multi-currency display options), they are unavailable for
      display at the moment. Any queries that arise because of this post should be
      directed to info@....

      This shell pattern may be used for military patterns circa 1796-1809. This
      includes patterns for the Lewis and Clark bicentennial celebrations. The
      pattern is based on U.S. Army correspondence between 1803-1805 from the
      National Archives as well as garments and drafting systems.

      The pattern contains historical notes by Robert G. Stone describing the 1804
      artillery coat as well as how to adapt the pattern for use in making a Lewis
      and Clark private's coat.

      The pattern also contains illustrated instructions for hand stitches that
      are typical of early 19th century tailoring. Saundra Ros Altman has written
      and illustrated the sewing and fitting instructions.

      This pattern is available in army issue sizes 1 [35], 2 [37] and 3 [39] and
      modern sizes 4 [41], 5 [43], 6 [45], 7 [47], 8 [49], 9 [51], 10 [53], 11
      [55], 12 [57]. Sizes 1 through 3 require 2 Yds.; sizes 4 through 6 require
      2-1/4 Yds. of 54 inch wide fabric. $33.00CDN.

      Also from Past Patterns is the Lewis and Clark Era Front Closing Gown,
      $41.25CDN.

      This pattern was pulled, with permission, from the extant garment in the
      Wayne County Historical Museum in Richmond, Indiana. The gown has no
      history. It is a house dress. The threads are hand spun and the fabric is
      hand woven of linen warp and cotton weft. The background is white,
      interrupted every 7/8 inch by alternate threads of madder red and indigo
      blue. Unlike today's fabric, the stripes are at a right angle to the
      salvage. The two lining fabrics were probably cut from scraps. The thread
      count is approximately 50 warp and 44 weft.

      Illustrated instructions for sewing the garment by hand are included,
      however, this is an easy garment to sew by machine.

      The empire style bodice is cut conservative yet it has the fashionable small
      back of the period. As a result of the small back the sleeves form the
      shoulders, creating a very comfortable fit. A casing with drawstrings ties
      to fit at center front. The bodice is lined. The front lining is loose from
      the armholes to center front. It crosses over and fastens at center front
      with straight pins. This front lining does not support the bust. It is to
      help hold the front closed. A corset is worn with this garment.

      The pleated skirt is fullest in the back and flat in the front. A 1-1/2 inch
      tuck at center front raises the skirt over the toes.

      This pattern is sized 8-14, 16-20, 22-26 in B, C and D cups. Sizes 8 through
      14 require 4-1/2 Yds.; sizes 16 through 20 require 5 Yds. and sizes 22
      through 26 require 5-1/2 Yds. of 45 inch wide fabric.

      This pattern is copyrighted and is for personal non-commercial use only.
      Dressmakers and other commercial users contact Past Patterns.

      Another great new pattern release is from Country Wives, $15.00CDN!

      Caps for the Upper Crust features a series of four historically accurate,
      well-engineered delightful caps, suitable for middle to upper class
      interpretations from 1790 to 1820.

      Any queries, direct them to me.

      Regards
      Lorina
      supplies
      (519) 799-5577, fax (519) 799-5418 http://www.5rivers.org email:
      info@...
    • Ed Seufert <LCpl_RM@comcast.net>
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Five Rivers" <lgsteph@g...> wrote:
        > Finally the military coatee patterns we've been waiting for from
        Past Patterns are released. Five Rivers is carrying them;

        > This shell pattern may be used for military patterns circa 1796-
        1809. This includes patterns for the Lewis and Clark bicentennial
        celebrations. The pattern is based on U.S. Army correspondence
        between 1803-1805 from the National Archives as well as garments and
        drafting systems.

        > The pattern contains historical notes by Robert G. Stone describing
        the 1804 artillery coat as well as how to adapt the pattern for use
        in making a Lewis and Clark private's coat.

        Lorina,

        I was researching the archives and the Military pattern originally
        announced to be available was for a British Coatee supposedly
        developed by Jim Kochan. (July 2001)

        The pattern as described by your email seems to be American. Can you
        give any further information on the British Coatee and if one will be
        available?

        Ed Seufert
        1812 Royal Marines