Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Militia

  • Armchairadm@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2002
      Nice to see that Canadians have there own version of "Minute Man Myth"
      to deal with. A friend of mine was once read the riot act by a Junior High
      history teacher after doing a school program on the PA Continental & the Rev
      War in which he attempted to dispel this particular piece of historical
      claptrap.

      Ed B.

      "I'd rather be Historically Accurate
      than Politically Correct"

    • alaidh
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2002
        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "PEGGY MATHEWS" <ciefranche21e@m...> wrote:
        > Agh, not this discussion again. Let's keep it civil folks, my clothes are
        > still smoldering from the last one. ;-)
        >
        > As a US citizen I'm as desperate as any for victories on land in the War of
        > 1812, but.. Whatever the situation on the field at the (temporary) close
        > of action, *as a result of the battle* the US forces withdrew and retreated
        > all the way back to their jump off point in Canada. Tactically it was
        > probably best qualified as a draw with all honors even, maybe a marginal US
        > victory (ever heard the term Pyrrhic Victory?). But *strategically* it
        > represented a defeat as the invasion was over.

        I'm sure Drummond would have been relieved to hear that, after
        retreating from Ft. Erie to Chippewa and laagering down in town for a
        last stand...<g>

        > Now whether it was a missed opportunity, or full of "could of" and "should
        > of" is irrelevant. The facts are with their leadership in chaos and the
        > army battered by two bloody battles in short order, our army left. To me
        > that makes it pretty clear who failed to win the campaign.

        Wasn't talking about a campaign...just one battle. I seem to remember
        reading in every account of the battle that the battered americans had
        no difficulty in moving to Ft Erie a day or so later, while it took a
        week for Drummond to re-energize his forces

        > As for the other battle comparisons, those are too silly to comment upon.

        Okay, lets try this one - same period.

        Side A is attacked by Side B, beats them off after a prolongued fight
        for a prominant piece of terrain on which Side A has placed guns. Side
        B returns the next day to discover that Side A has left in retreat,
        accidently left a few guns behind. Side B claims victory, because Side
        A has split.

        Lundy's Lane?

        Nope - Corunna...Side A were the British. From their point of view,
        "Twas a famous Victory".

        Just like Lundy's Lane was.