INCOMING !!

  • john harris
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2002
      > From: Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: Militia Flank Companies
      >
      > I have no doubt that most if not all militia flank companies were trained
      in light infantry tactics. They were locals (for the most part) knew the
      land they were fighting on, and they were too independant of mind to fight
      like regulars. This probably explains
      > why there were so many irregulars like rifle companies, cavalry companies,
      Kevin's Ballistic Missle corp of Yankee fighters etc. Or it could be like
      us re-enactors most want to be something different and not regular. (DUCK!)

      > For heavens sake lets get rid of this idiotic idea that Lt. infantry and
      > rifles is for those who are unwilling or unable to do simple infantry
      drill!!!

      > Cheers
      >
      > Tim

      BRAVO TIM !!! As a 20+ year veteran of this game , I too get sick and
      tired of the mentality that light troops don't do line and militia doesn't
      drill!! I have done line and light on both sides, from pvt to officer, it's
      not hard to at least learn basic drill ! I thought we had already hashed
      this out before! If people would just drop the Victorian romanticism about
      the "stalwart defender of Upper Canada" aka "militia man", pick up a drill
      manual , and read it, not just the parts you want to do, but the entire
      manual, you will find that it's not that difficult to do. In the manual you
      will find that battalion drill comes before any light drill .
      The troops that bore the brunt of the fighting on both sides were the
      regulars! Yes, the militia's did their part, but don't be fooled by the
      "independent attitude". Military law applied to the militia also! Yes, the
      couldn't be flogged, but they could be shot!
      This is not an attack on anyone, just a very annoying idea!
      Regards
      John Harris
      42nd Reg't
      25th US