Fw: lawn

  • CRAIG WILLIAMS
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2002
      Lorinna et al,
      FYI

      I am forwarding this in reference to our earlier conversation re; lawn(e). It is from Ms. Gina Mandelli whom many on this list will remember as an avid student/researcher/cutter of period fashion.

      Craig

      Yes, lawn is a very fine linen. Quite see through actually. Gowns in the 1812 period were made from it. That is why they had that gauzey, Grecian look to them. That is also why they had a couple of layers. You can see right through it. I have seen the reference in "Textiles in America". Also, called a fine linen in Barbara Johnson's "A Lady of Fashion" and in "An Elegant Art" where it states that the fabric was used as early as the reign of Queen
      Elizabeth . A quote in 1793 states that a fine lawn is rare and one should get it whenever you can find it. As with any fabric it's use depended on fashion. Some periods it may have been used for aprons, pockets and shirts, and other times, the dresses themselves. For example, a dress would not have usually been made of lawn in the Rev War period. It is also a privileged fabric since it would not withstand the test of hard work. It was also a little more expensive.
      Hope this helps.