Re: Let the wind blow free...

  • Gareth Newfield
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2002
      While amusing, how then do we account for the eventual order for
      the de-kilting (and in some cases adoption of an entirely English
      uniform) of the 71st, 72nd, 73rd, 74th, 75th, 76th(?) and 94th, all
      nominally Scottish units, who had by and large worn full highland
      dress for at least a few years after their raising? Wellington's
      Highlanders (Osprey, bless'em) has an interesting passage on the
      matter.

      Gareth Newfield
      Crown Forces Drums & new poster.

      Raymond Hobbs <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
      > List members, and especially Scottish reenactors:
      >
      > An amusing military tale from our period.
      >
      > The 79th (Cameron) Highlanders were one of the most distinguished
      > regiments in the British Army at the end of the `18th and into the
      19th
      > century. In 1804 the British Government decided, in its infinite
      > wisdom, to abolish the wearing of the kilt for Scottish Regiments.
      Here
      > is part of the response of Col. Alan Cameron, CO of the Regiment.
      > Cameron defended the kilt and its:
      >
      > ìfree congenial circulation of pure wholesome air (an exhilarating
      > native bracer) which has hitherto so peculiarly benefitted the
      > Highlander for ëactivityí, and all the other necessary qualities of
      > soldier, whether for hardship upon scanty fare, readiness in
      accoutring,
      > or making forced marches & c., besides the ex;clusive advantage,
      when
      > halted, of drenching his kilt & c., in the next brook, as well as
      > washing his limbs, and drying both, as it were, by constant fanning,
      > without injury to either, but on the contrary feeling clean and
      > comfortable.î
      >
      > Cameron ended his protest with words...
      >
      > ìI sincerely hope His Royal Highness will never acquiesce in so
      painful
      > and degrading an idea (come from whatever quarter it may) to strip
      us of
      > our native garb...and to stuff us in breeches.î
      >
      > All Scotsmen, real or imaginary, on the list will be pleased to know
      > that the War Office dropped the idea.
      >
      > Source: Arthur Herman, The Scottish Enlightenment, London: 4th
      Estate,