Re: [WarOf1812] Copyright

  • petemonahan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2002
      Bruce, List & All

      Canadian copyright law - the Copyright Act was amended/passed in 1985 - is
      also confusing in detail but clear in intent: if I write it, tranlate it or
      edit it, compose, film, tape, etc it, IT'S MINE and I'm entitled to get money
      for creating it, which means whenever its reproduced BY ANY MECHANICAL MEANS
      at all. It's how artists eat.

      So if you want to memorize and recite a book, go ahead, except that you
      can't charge for the recitation. There's very little case law in Canada,
      but we share with the U.S. the "fair use" concept. Broadly, one may copy up
      to 10% of a work, for review, study or personal use.

      Technically, a book's being out of print is no excuse: ask the publisher to
      re-print it and the author (or publisher) will get more money and maybe even
      publish a similar work in future. Would you work for free?

      CanCopy is a "collective" to which schools and other groups pay a flat
      royalty - fairly reasonable, I believe, maybe $3-5.00 per student in a school
      board - which in turn gives employees the right to copy for school use most
      published works by Canadians. (Exceptions are workbooks, printed tests and
      other products meant to be "consumed" by the user, as opposed to a book one
      can read repeatedly.)

      A similar system exists for school use of videos and films (though some
      legal opinions argue showing video in class is not a "public perfromance" and
      so not subject to royalites) Ray's point about publishers is an important
      one. Film distributors in Canada use the same protective measures and at
      least one school board (in Quebec) was assessed a MAJOR fine several years
      ago for not making sure teachers and others were paying the appropriate
      royalties.

      Yes, its a pain in the butt to get a used copies of out of print books, but
      if you were Rene Chartrand, for ex., spent 2-3 years researching and
      publishing a book, sold 5-8000 copies (benefit to him max. $5 a copy) and
      then found out that a few dozen or hundred people had photocopied it instead
      of buying it or lobbying for a secod printing, would you rush right out to do
      a second book? Think about killing the golden goose!

      Peter Monahan
      petemonahan@...
      705-435-0953

    • PEGGY MATHEWS
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2002
        (big snip)

        of buying it or lobbying for a second printing, would you rush right out to do
        a second book? Think about killing the golden goose!

        Me: And therein lies the key, let's get a second printing! I'd pay in advance for one if it wasn't out of sight. Maybe even then. So let's get Rene out of hibernation or whatever it takes. Who do I write to?! ;-)

        Michael