Re: [WarOf1812] book wstill in stock

  • Annette and Lloyd
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2002
      Phil , Larry ,
      I dont know how the copywright thing works when the book is out of print .
      However [UMI ,books on demand 300 north zeeb rd po box 1346 ann arbor
      Michigan 48106 ,1 800 521 0600 ,www.umi.com ] will print books for you .
      Hard cover or soft cover ,this is where I got my copy of duanes ,and my copy
      of US uniforms 1775 1890 , and others .
      I think the copy right law has limitations ,I just dont know how it works ,
      this company dosn't seem hampered by it .
      Lloyd
      agower@...
    • spikeyj@crosslink.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2002
        On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Annette and Lloyd wrote:

        > I dont know how the copywright thing works when the book is out of print .
        > I think the copy right law has limitations ,I just dont know how it
        > works.

        Copyright lasts for the lifetime of the author *plus* 50/75/90 years
        after his death (depending on the jurisdiction you live in, but
        none are less than 50 years that I'm aware of). If the
        author is alive, or died in the last 50/75/90 years, then it is
        illegal for anyone to make a copy of the book even if the book is
        currently out of print. Doesn't stop people, but it's illegal.

        If the book is old enough that the text is out of copyright (e.g.,
        reprints of books written in the 1812 period), the *text* can be
        reproduced legally, but not necessarily the *representation* of that
        text. A facsimile edition of a 200-year-old book can be photocopied,
        but a translation of a book from another language (e.g., the memoirs
        of one of Napoleon's soldiers), or an old book with new footnotes, or
        an old book that's been reset into an easy-to-read modern typeface is
        still protected by copyright despite the death of the author more than
        a century before.

        Spike Y Jones