Re: [WarOf1812] US Militia

  • Vcohorspraetoria@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
      Plus, it was copied for private use only, and not for resale.

      Phil

    • Ted Y.
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 26, 2002
        I just heard from Pete Plunkett of Middlesex Village
        Trading Co. that he should be getting prototypes soon
        for two different patterns of U.S. Militia Cartridge
        Boxes of the 1812 period. One will be an over the
        shoulder model that's different from the standard 1808
        pattern, with a 29 hole ctg. block and an implement
        pocket. The other is a Light Infantry belly box with
        24
        holes. Both are copied off original patterns that I
        supplied him. In addition, he tells me he has a
        Napoleonic French ctg. box prototype coming. I'll let
        everyone know when these come in as he will have
        photos on his web site. He is planning a line of 1812
        American accoutrements and there may be other
        additions later on. These should be modestly priced.

        Y.H.&.O.S.

        Ted Yeatman
        1st Md. Rifle BN.
        Fells Point Rifles

        > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over
        > > the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North
        > > America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
        > > of square miles...
        > >
        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
        > http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/

        === message truncated ===

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Ted Y.
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 26, 2002
          Actually, the whole BN. was normally deployed in
          skirmish order, not JUST the musketmen. The muskets
          were apparently issued to make up for a difficiency in
          rifles, probably some later recruits.
          The 1st NY Rifle Regt. had a mix of 1803's,
          privately made[and in most cases owned] rifles, plus
          some muskets, also. This seems to have been a typical
          arrangement, at least with units in the East. In Md.
          the militia infantry regiments were allowed one or two
          flank companies, which could be either Light Infantry
          or Rifles. In practice, the "Rifle" Companies may have
          been a mix of guns. I have uncovered another Rifle Co.
          at Bladensburg, which served with the 17th Md. Inf.,
          and was later in the fight at Indian Head vs. the
          British Navy on the Potomac.
          I was recently over in Bladensburg and it appears
          that at least some of the battlefield along the
          Anacostia, which figured in the initial fighting, is
          in a park, though most of the battle area is now
          developed. The area in the park is part of that
          occupied by the 1st Md. Bn. in their fight with the
          British Light Brigade at the opening of the battle.

          Y.H. & O.S.
          Ted Yeatman
          1st Md. Rifle Bn.
          Fells Point Rifles.

          === message truncated ===

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • PEGGY MATHEWS
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 25, 2002
            Thanks David.

            Michael

            > > 1. Did the militia drill and train according to the motivation of it's
            > > commander? Much live firing?
            >
            > I will have to retrieve my copy of the Maryland, But I do recall that MD
            > Assembly set the minimum muster schedule of at least twice a year.
            >
            > > 2. Did the militia have standing or rotating duty where this regiment or
            > > battalion would be patrolling or at least "on call"?
            >
            > > 4. Any thoughts on what might be an average muster time once the alarm
            has
            > > been given?
            >
            > The broadsheet I saw for Baltimore after the Washington, indicated ASAP
            > when the alarm was giving.
            >
            > In Service of Scotland and its history,
            > Your humble and obedient servant,
            > David S Mallinak

            square miles...

          • David S. Mallinak
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 25, 2002
              PEGGY Mathews wrote:

              > 1. Did the militia drill and train according to the motivation of it's
              > commander? Much live firing?

              I will have to retrieve my copy of the Maryland, But I do recall that MD
              Assembly set the minimum muster schedule of at least twice a year.

              > 2. Did the militia have standing or rotating duty where this regiment or
              > battalion would be patrolling or at least "on call"?

              > 4. Any thoughts on what might be an average muster time once the alarm has
              > been given?

              The broadsheet I saw for Baltimore after the Washington, indicated ASAP
              when the alarm was giving.

              In Service of Scotland and its history,
              Your humble and obedient servant,
              David S Mallinak
            • Brian Howard
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 26, 2002
                Here in the Tidewater Virginia Theatre the militia was
                called into service for 6 months of service and placed
                in camps or forts during that time. Muster rolls
                record units stationed from Cape Henry, at the
                entrance to the bay in what is now Virginia Beach, to
                Norfolk, Willoughby to be exact. Additional companies
                were called up during times of alerts such as the
                attacks on Craney Island and Hampton, June 22-26,
                1813.

                The two forts in the area were Forts Norfolk, on the
                eastern shore of the Elizabeth River, and Fort Nelson
                on the western shore. These were both seacoast forts
                with only Fort Norfolk still standing.

                Under General Orders issued by General Taylor, the
                units were to be drilled for at least one hour each
                day. In one order book a company of militia was
                ordered to drill for two hours a day until profiency
                was displayed in the manual of arms and evolutions of
                the company. Live firing was at a minimum due to the
                cost and availability of powder and shot.

                Please visit the site of the 2nd Virginia Regiment,
                1813-1815, to see information on Fort Norfolk and our
                unit. If I can be of additional assistance please
                contact me.

                God Save the United States!
                Brian Howard
                2nd Va Regt., 1813-1815