book wstill in stock

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2002
      From: <dancingbobd@...>

      The book is out of print and has been for several years.
      It would be a
      different situation of the book was still in stock.

      Brother Bob

      One may want to check with other sites.
      I believe a seen a copy of the book for sale at another
      site last summer.
      The reason I was looking is because someone wanted
      to buy my extra copy and I was checking out the retail price.

      So even out of print, some sites may still have a copy
      of this book in stock that Rene' has not received his royalties from.

      According to copyright laws it is still essential that you
      contact the publisher before copying, especially a whole
      book.

      Soooo Kevin, one for your side!
    • Annette and Lloyd
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2002
        Phil , Larry ,
        I dont know how the copywright thing works when the book is out of print .
        However [UMI ,books on demand 300 north zeeb rd po box 1346 ann arbor
        Michigan 48106 ,1 800 521 0600 ,www.umi.com ] will print books for you .
        Hard cover or soft cover ,this is where I got my copy of duanes ,and my copy
        of US uniforms 1775 1890 , and others .
        I think the copy right law has limitations ,I just dont know how it works ,
        this company dosn't seem hampered by it .
        Lloyd
        agower@...
      • spikeyj@crosslink.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2002
          On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Annette and Lloyd wrote:

          > I dont know how the copywright thing works when the book is out of print .
          > I think the copy right law has limitations ,I just dont know how it
          > works.

          Copyright lasts for the lifetime of the author *plus* 50/75/90 years
          after his death (depending on the jurisdiction you live in, but
          none are less than 50 years that I'm aware of). If the
          author is alive, or died in the last 50/75/90 years, then it is
          illegal for anyone to make a copy of the book even if the book is
          currently out of print. Doesn't stop people, but it's illegal.

          If the book is old enough that the text is out of copyright (e.g.,
          reprints of books written in the 1812 period), the *text* can be
          reproduced legally, but not necessarily the *representation* of that
          text. A facsimile edition of a 200-year-old book can be photocopied,
          but a translation of a book from another language (e.g., the memoirs
          of one of Napoleon's soldiers), or an old book with new footnotes, or
          an old book that's been reset into an easy-to-read modern typeface is
          still protected by copyright despite the death of the author more than
          a century before.

          Spike Y Jones