Re: [WarOf1812] US Militia

  • dancingbobd@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
      Kevin,

      The book is out of print and has been for several years. Royalties are
      paid for books sold. They have all been sold and Mr. Chartrand has
      received all the royalties he can for the time being. It would be a
      different situation of the book was still in stock.

      My two cent worth.

      Bob
    • Vcohorspraetoria@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
        Plus, it was copied for private use only, and not for resale.

        Phil

      • Ted Y.
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 26, 2002
          I just heard from Pete Plunkett of Middlesex Village
          Trading Co. that he should be getting prototypes soon
          for two different patterns of U.S. Militia Cartridge
          Boxes of the 1812 period. One will be an over the
          shoulder model that's different from the standard 1808
          pattern, with a 29 hole ctg. block and an implement
          pocket. The other is a Light Infantry belly box with
          24
          holes. Both are copied off original patterns that I
          supplied him. In addition, he tells me he has a
          Napoleonic French ctg. box prototype coming. I'll let
          everyone know when these come in as he will have
          photos on his web site. He is planning a line of 1812
          American accoutrements and there may be other
          additions later on. These should be modestly priced.

          Y.H.&.O.S.

          Ted Yeatman
          1st Md. Rifle BN.
          Fells Point Rifles

          > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over
          > > the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North
          > > America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
          > > of square miles...
          > >
          > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
          > http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/

          === message truncated ===

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Ted Y.
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 26, 2002
            Actually, the whole BN. was normally deployed in
            skirmish order, not JUST the musketmen. The muskets
            were apparently issued to make up for a difficiency in
            rifles, probably some later recruits.
            The 1st NY Rifle Regt. had a mix of 1803's,
            privately made[and in most cases owned] rifles, plus
            some muskets, also. This seems to have been a typical
            arrangement, at least with units in the East. In Md.
            the militia infantry regiments were allowed one or two
            flank companies, which could be either Light Infantry
            or Rifles. In practice, the "Rifle" Companies may have
            been a mix of guns. I have uncovered another Rifle Co.
            at Bladensburg, which served with the 17th Md. Inf.,
            and was later in the fight at Indian Head vs. the
            British Navy on the Potomac.
            I was recently over in Bladensburg and it appears
            that at least some of the battlefield along the
            Anacostia, which figured in the initial fighting, is
            in a park, though most of the battle area is now
            developed. The area in the park is part of that
            occupied by the 1st Md. Bn. in their fight with the
            British Light Brigade at the opening of the battle.

            Y.H. & O.S.
            Ted Yeatman
            1st Md. Rifle Bn.
            Fells Point Rifles.

            === message truncated ===

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • PEGGY MATHEWS
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 25, 2002
              Thanks David.

              Michael

              > > 1. Did the militia drill and train according to the motivation of it's
              > > commander? Much live firing?
              >
              > I will have to retrieve my copy of the Maryland, But I do recall that MD
              > Assembly set the minimum muster schedule of at least twice a year.
              >
              > > 2. Did the militia have standing or rotating duty where this regiment or
              > > battalion would be patrolling or at least "on call"?
              >
              > > 4. Any thoughts on what might be an average muster time once the alarm
              has
              > > been given?
              >
              > The broadsheet I saw for Baltimore after the Washington, indicated ASAP
              > when the alarm was giving.
              >
              > In Service of Scotland and its history,
              > Your humble and obedient servant,
              > David S Mallinak

              square miles...

            • David S. Mallinak
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 25, 2002
                PEGGY Mathews wrote:

                > 1. Did the militia drill and train according to the motivation of it's
                > commander? Much live firing?

                I will have to retrieve my copy of the Maryland, But I do recall that MD
                Assembly set the minimum muster schedule of at least twice a year.

                > 2. Did the militia have standing or rotating duty where this regiment or
                > battalion would be patrolling or at least "on call"?

                > 4. Any thoughts on what might be an average muster time once the alarm has
                > been given?

                The broadsheet I saw for Baltimore after the Washington, indicated ASAP
                when the alarm was giving.

                In Service of Scotland and its history,
                Your humble and obedient servant,
                David S Mallinak
              • Brian Howard
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 26, 2002
                  Here in the Tidewater Virginia Theatre the militia was
                  called into service for 6 months of service and placed
                  in camps or forts during that time. Muster rolls
                  record units stationed from Cape Henry, at the
                  entrance to the bay in what is now Virginia Beach, to
                  Norfolk, Willoughby to be exact. Additional companies
                  were called up during times of alerts such as the
                  attacks on Craney Island and Hampton, June 22-26,
                  1813.

                  The two forts in the area were Forts Norfolk, on the
                  eastern shore of the Elizabeth River, and Fort Nelson
                  on the western shore. These were both seacoast forts
                  with only Fort Norfolk still standing.

                  Under General Orders issued by General Taylor, the
                  units were to be drilled for at least one hour each
                  day. In one order book a company of militia was
                  ordered to drill for two hours a day until profiency
                  was displayed in the manual of arms and evolutions of
                  the company. Live firing was at a minimum due to the
                  cost and availability of powder and shot.

                  Please visit the site of the 2nd Virginia Regiment,
                  1813-1815, to see information on Fort Norfolk and our
                  unit. If I can be of additional assistance please
                  contact me.

                  God Save the United States!
                  Brian Howard
                  2nd Va Regt., 1813-1815