Re: [WarOf1812] US Militia

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
      Wouldn't widely advertise this Phil. Very illegal and since we have a number of authors on this list and a few who speak to Rene, it's best not to admit you have taken
      royalties away from him.

    • dancingbobd@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
        Kevin,

        The book is out of print and has been for several years. Royalties are
        paid for books sold. They have all been sold and Mr. Chartrand has
        received all the royalties he can for the time being. It would be a
        different situation of the book was still in stock.

        My two cent worth.

        Bob
      • Vcohorspraetoria@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
          Plus, it was copied for private use only, and not for resale.

          Phil

        • Ted Y.
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 26, 2002
            I just heard from Pete Plunkett of Middlesex Village
            Trading Co. that he should be getting prototypes soon
            for two different patterns of U.S. Militia Cartridge
            Boxes of the 1812 period. One will be an over the
            shoulder model that's different from the standard 1808
            pattern, with a 29 hole ctg. block and an implement
            pocket. The other is a Light Infantry belly box with
            24
            holes. Both are copied off original patterns that I
            supplied him. In addition, he tells me he has a
            Napoleonic French ctg. box prototype coming. I'll let
            everyone know when these come in as he will have
            photos on his web site. He is planning a line of 1812
            American accoutrements and there may be other
            additions later on. These should be modestly priced.

            Y.H.&.O.S.

            Ted Yeatman
            1st Md. Rifle BN.
            Fells Point Rifles

            > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over
            > > the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North
            > > America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
            > > of square miles...
            > >
            > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
            > http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/

            === message truncated ===

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Ted Y.
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 26, 2002
              Actually, the whole BN. was normally deployed in
              skirmish order, not JUST the musketmen. The muskets
              were apparently issued to make up for a difficiency in
              rifles, probably some later recruits.
              The 1st NY Rifle Regt. had a mix of 1803's,
              privately made[and in most cases owned] rifles, plus
              some muskets, also. This seems to have been a typical
              arrangement, at least with units in the East. In Md.
              the militia infantry regiments were allowed one or two
              flank companies, which could be either Light Infantry
              or Rifles. In practice, the "Rifle" Companies may have
              been a mix of guns. I have uncovered another Rifle Co.
              at Bladensburg, which served with the 17th Md. Inf.,
              and was later in the fight at Indian Head vs. the
              British Navy on the Potomac.
              I was recently over in Bladensburg and it appears
              that at least some of the battlefield along the
              Anacostia, which figured in the initial fighting, is
              in a park, though most of the battle area is now
              developed. The area in the park is part of that
              occupied by the 1st Md. Bn. in their fight with the
              British Light Brigade at the opening of the battle.

              Y.H. & O.S.
              Ted Yeatman
              1st Md. Rifle Bn.
              Fells Point Rifles.

              === message truncated ===

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • PEGGY MATHEWS
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 25, 2002
                Thanks David.

                Michael

                > > 1. Did the militia drill and train according to the motivation of it's
                > > commander? Much live firing?
                >
                > I will have to retrieve my copy of the Maryland, But I do recall that MD
                > Assembly set the minimum muster schedule of at least twice a year.
                >
                > > 2. Did the militia have standing or rotating duty where this regiment or
                > > battalion would be patrolling or at least "on call"?
                >
                > > 4. Any thoughts on what might be an average muster time once the alarm
                has
                > > been given?
                >
                > The broadsheet I saw for Baltimore after the Washington, indicated ASAP
                > when the alarm was giving.
                >
                > In Service of Scotland and its history,
                > Your humble and obedient servant,
                > David S Mallinak

                square miles...

              • David S. Mallinak
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 25, 2002
                  PEGGY Mathews wrote:

                  > 1. Did the militia drill and train according to the motivation of it's
                  > commander? Much live firing?

                  I will have to retrieve my copy of the Maryland, But I do recall that MD
                  Assembly set the minimum muster schedule of at least twice a year.

                  > 2. Did the militia have standing or rotating duty where this regiment or
                  > battalion would be patrolling or at least "on call"?

                  > 4. Any thoughts on what might be an average muster time once the alarm has
                  > been given?

                  The broadsheet I saw for Baltimore after the Washington, indicated ASAP
                  when the alarm was giving.

                  In Service of Scotland and its history,
                  Your humble and obedient servant,
                  David S Mallinak
                • Brian Howard
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 26, 2002
                    Here in the Tidewater Virginia Theatre the militia was
                    called into service for 6 months of service and placed
                    in camps or forts during that time. Muster rolls
                    record units stationed from Cape Henry, at the
                    entrance to the bay in what is now Virginia Beach, to
                    Norfolk, Willoughby to be exact. Additional companies
                    were called up during times of alerts such as the
                    attacks on Craney Island and Hampton, June 22-26,
                    1813.

                    The two forts in the area were Forts Norfolk, on the
                    eastern shore of the Elizabeth River, and Fort Nelson
                    on the western shore. These were both seacoast forts
                    with only Fort Norfolk still standing.

                    Under General Orders issued by General Taylor, the
                    units were to be drilled for at least one hour each
                    day. In one order book a company of militia was
                    ordered to drill for two hours a day until profiency
                    was displayed in the manual of arms and evolutions of
                    the company. Live firing was at a minimum due to the
                    cost and availability of powder and shot.

                    Please visit the site of the 2nd Virginia Regiment,
                    1813-1815, to see information on Fort Norfolk and our
                    unit. If I can be of additional assistance please
                    contact me.

                    God Save the United States!
                    Brian Howard
                    2nd Va Regt., 1813-1815