US Uniforms & Equipment

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2002
      From: <Armchairadm@...>

      " ... A good basic source for information on ... Uniforms & equipment's
      ... is Rene' Chartrand's "Uniforms & Equipment of the United States Forces
      in the War of 1812" published by Old Ft. Niagara ..."

      Squire Bolla et al

      Osprey MEN-AT-ARMS #345
      'THE UNITED STATES ARMY 1812-1815'
      and
      Osprey MEN-AT-ARMS #352
      'THE UNITED STATES ARMY 1783-1811'

      are also good "what they should have had" sources,
      as their bibliography states original US Army
      regulations.

      I believe they are a couple of the better Osprey publications,
      but definitely not as good as

      Osprey CAMPAIGN SERIES #28
      NEW ORLEANS 1815

      Possibly good stocking stuffers for Christmas ......
    • Armchairadm@cs.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2002
        Larry;

        Haven't seen the Osprey book on New Orleans yet, but have seen the
        others. They are quite good bur concentrate mostly on US Reg. forces. I was
        referring to basic info on the State Militia originations. Chartrand's book
        gives a nice basic run down of the militia laws & regulations State by State
        as well as giving some info on the Territorial Militias, such as they were.

        Ed B.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2002
          From: <Armchairadm@...>

          " .. Chartrand's book gives a nice basic run down of the militia laws
          & regulations State by State as well as giving some info on the
          Territorial Militias, such as they were."

          Ed,

          I agree 100% with you
          Chartrand's is the better book.
          And, has the documentation to back it up.