Re: US Militia

  • alaidh
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2002
      --- In WarOf1812@y..., "PEGGY Mathews" <ciefranche21e@m...> wrote:
      > Very interesting stuff recently on the sheer size of the possible militia=

      > musters. So how did states handle duty requirements? i.e. was there a
      > national standard, or did individual states decide? It seems that the
      > theoretical strength would make raiding operations along the coast
      > impractical at best and potentially disastrous. Yet we know otherwise. =
      So,
      > in no particular order:
      >
      > 1. Did the militia drill and train according to the motivation of it's
      > commander?

      I suspect that was the case.

      Much live firing?

      As indiviuals, yes. As a unit, I imagine that it had to do with the
      motivation of he commander. i would loke to point out however, that in
      most of the actions between British and purely militia defense forces,
      that while the militia invariably broke first they also usually
      inflicted more casualties than they took.

      > 2. Did the militia have standing or rotating duty where this regiment or =

      > battalion would be patrolling or at least "on call"?

      Certainly, in NH. I don't know about other states.

      > 3. Did they provide their own equipment and clothing *as a rule* or was
      > there a government issue?

      Usually depended upon the unit in question, circumstances, and
      availability of stores. For instance, the Boston Hussars supplied their
      own, at a cost of $1200 (1812 money), plus the cost of a blooded horse
      - you could have bought a small schooner for what it cost to outfit
      each man in that company. On the other hand, some of the Kentucky
      militia that showed up at New Orleans were in rags and were unarmed (I
      think Tim can speak on this).

      > 4. Any thoughts on what might be an average muster time once the alarm ha=
      > been given?

      Probably had to do with how spread out the population was, and where
      they were supposed to muster.

      > 5. Other interesting facts for you to provide.

      The coastal raiding was not as cut and dried as it first appears -
      except for the Chesapeake expeditions, most coastal raiding was reduced
      to chicken stealing (a landing force would pillage a few coastal farms,
      isolated from their neighbors, and then leave before the militia could
      arrive - this even happened in the Chesapeake). While the war didn't
      get too serious along the New England coast until 1814, coastal raiders
      were frequently repulsed when the got too ambitious (Hull, Covington,
      York, and Marblehead all come to mind).

      The problem for the Americans was that the coastline was so extensive,
      it was physically impossible to protect a significant portion of at one
      time, regardless of the size of forces available.

      The problem for the British was to try and figure out where there was
      something worth raiding, yet wasn't strongly defended at the moment.

      The whole issue became a guessing game, with the Royal Navy getting an
      occasional chicken dinner in between rounds.

      > Thanks all,
      >
      > Michael
      >

      > "We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we =

      > must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

      > Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!  Try MSN.
      > http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/2monthsfree.asp
    • Ted Y.
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2002
        1st Md. Rifle BN. had 3 companies also, Fells Point
        Rifles, Union Yaegers and Aisquith's Sharpshooters.
        While the bulk of the 120-180 men were actually armed
        with rifles, a hunk of perhaps as many as 45 in one
        compant were apparently issued muskets and served as
        light infantry skirmishers, the main role of the unit
        was essentially skirmishing. I hope to do some further
        research into this, but have not had the time of late
        to get to some of the records.
        As for Uniforms, the 1st Md. provided thie own.
        They were a uniformed Volunteer unit. There were other
        Enrolled Militia Companies in the boondocks and in DC
        who came in civilian clothing. Roughly half of the
        D.C. militia at Bladensburg were enrolled militia.
        Their commander was so disgusted by the appearance of
        some that he sent them home on the eve of Bladensburg,
        ordering them to bring better shoes and butcher
        knives. All of the D.C. "Rifle" units at Bladensburg
        were largely armed with muskets, though there may have
        been a smattering of privately owned rifles.

        Ted Yeatman
        1st Md. Rifle BN.
        Fells Point Rifles

        HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
        http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
      • PEGGY MATHEWS
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2002
          Thanks Ted, interesting stuff. Kind of odd that the musketmen were used as skirmishers while the rifle where kept back. Would you assume that they were proficient, or at least comfortable in a close order role? Guess that just leaves their service record if you have it. Always nice to know what the others did.

          Regards,

          Michael

        • Armchairadm@cs.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
            The equipment, organization & training of US Militia units varied
            widely from state to state. A good basic source for information on their
            Uniforms & equipment's (or at least what they were supposed to have) & to
            some extent on their organization is Rene' Chartrand's "Uniforms & Equipment
            of the United States Forces in the War of 1812" published by Old Ft. Niagara
            in 1992. Don't know if its still in print.

            Ed B.

          • Vcohorspraetoria@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
              Unfortunately, "Uniforms and Equipment of the United States Forces in the War
              of 1812" has been out of print for awhile.
              I had to get one through the inter-library loan system. And then copy off
              the whole book. It is a gold mine of information, and worth the trouble.

              Phil Holmes
              6th Regt. of United States Infantry
              Capt. Machesnay's Company

              http://www.flash.net/~dskesslr/6th_us.html

            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
                Wouldn't widely advertise this Phil. Very illegal and since we have a number of authors on this list and a few who speak to Rene, it's best not to admit you have taken
                royalties away from him.

              • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
                  Kevin,

                  The book is out of print and has been for several years. Royalties are
                  paid for books sold. They have all been sold and Mr. Chartrand has
                  received all the royalties he can for the time being. It would be a
                  different situation of the book was still in stock.

                  My two cent worth.

                  Bob
                • Vcohorspraetoria@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
                    Plus, it was copied for private use only, and not for resale.

                    Phil

                  • Ted Y.
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 26, 2002
                      I just heard from Pete Plunkett of Middlesex Village
                      Trading Co. that he should be getting prototypes soon
                      for two different patterns of U.S. Militia Cartridge
                      Boxes of the 1812 period. One will be an over the
                      shoulder model that's different from the standard 1808
                      pattern, with a 29 hole ctg. block and an implement
                      pocket. The other is a Light Infantry belly box with
                      24
                      holes. Both are copied off original patterns that I
                      supplied him. In addition, he tells me he has a
                      Napoleonic French ctg. box prototype coming. I'll let
                      everyone know when these come in as he will have
                      photos on his web site. He is planning a line of 1812
                      American accoutrements and there may be other
                      additions later on. These should be modestly priced.

                      Y.H.&.O.S.

                      Ted Yeatman
                      1st Md. Rifle BN.
                      Fells Point Rifles

                      > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over
                      > > the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North
                      > > America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
                      > > of square miles...
                      > >
                      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                      > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      > HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
                      > http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/

                      === message truncated ===

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                    • Ted Y.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 26, 2002
                        Actually, the whole BN. was normally deployed in
                        skirmish order, not JUST the musketmen. The muskets
                        were apparently issued to make up for a difficiency in
                        rifles, probably some later recruits.
                        The 1st NY Rifle Regt. had a mix of 1803's,
                        privately made[and in most cases owned] rifles, plus
                        some muskets, also. This seems to have been a typical
                        arrangement, at least with units in the East. In Md.
                        the militia infantry regiments were allowed one or two
                        flank companies, which could be either Light Infantry
                        or Rifles. In practice, the "Rifle" Companies may have
                        been a mix of guns. I have uncovered another Rifle Co.
                        at Bladensburg, which served with the 17th Md. Inf.,
                        and was later in the fight at Indian Head vs. the
                        British Navy on the Potomac.
                        I was recently over in Bladensburg and it appears
                        that at least some of the battlefield along the
                        Anacostia, which figured in the initial fighting, is
                        in a park, though most of the battle area is now
                        developed. The area in the park is part of that
                        occupied by the 1st Md. Bn. in their fight with the
                        British Light Brigade at the opening of the battle.

                        Y.H. & O.S.
                        Ted Yeatman
                        1st Md. Rifle Bn.
                        Fells Point Rifles.

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                      • PEGGY MATHEWS
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 25 8:56 PM
                          Thanks David.

                          Michael

                          > > 1. Did the militia drill and train according to the motivation of it's
                          > > commander? Much live firing?
                          >
                          > I will have to retrieve my copy of the Maryland, But I do recall that MD
                          > Assembly set the minimum muster schedule of at least twice a year.
                          >
                          > > 2. Did the militia have standing or rotating duty where this regiment or
                          > > battalion would be patrolling or at least "on call"?
                          >
                          > > 4. Any thoughts on what might be an average muster time once the alarm
                          has
                          > > been given?
                          >
                          > The broadsheet I saw for Baltimore after the Washington, indicated ASAP
                          > when the alarm was giving.
                          >
                          > In Service of Scotland and its history,
                          > Your humble and obedient servant,
                          > David S Mallinak

                          square miles...

                        • David S. Mallinak
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 25 11:43 PM
                            PEGGY Mathews wrote:

                            > 1. Did the militia drill and train according to the motivation of it's
                            > commander? Much live firing?

                            I will have to retrieve my copy of the Maryland, But I do recall that MD
                            Assembly set the minimum muster schedule of at least twice a year.

                            > 2. Did the militia have standing or rotating duty where this regiment or
                            > battalion would be patrolling or at least "on call"?

                            > 4. Any thoughts on what might be an average muster time once the alarm has
                            > been given?

                            The broadsheet I saw for Baltimore after the Washington, indicated ASAP
                            when the alarm was giving.

                            In Service of Scotland and its history,
                            Your humble and obedient servant,
                            David S Mallinak
                          • Brian Howard
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 26 12:29 PM
                              Here in the Tidewater Virginia Theatre the militia was
                              called into service for 6 months of service and placed
                              in camps or forts during that time. Muster rolls
                              record units stationed from Cape Henry, at the
                              entrance to the bay in what is now Virginia Beach, to
                              Norfolk, Willoughby to be exact. Additional companies
                              were called up during times of alerts such as the
                              attacks on Craney Island and Hampton, June 22-26,
                              1813.

                              The two forts in the area were Forts Norfolk, on the
                              eastern shore of the Elizabeth River, and Fort Nelson
                              on the western shore. These were both seacoast forts
                              with only Fort Norfolk still standing.

                              Under General Orders issued by General Taylor, the
                              units were to be drilled for at least one hour each
                              day. In one order book a company of militia was
                              ordered to drill for two hours a day until profiency
                              was displayed in the manual of arms and evolutions of
                              the company. Live firing was at a minimum due to the
                              cost and availability of powder and shot.

                              Please visit the site of the 2nd Virginia Regiment,
                              1813-1815, to see information on Fort Norfolk and our
                              unit. If I can be of additional assistance please
                              contact me.

                              God Save the United States!
                              Brian Howard
                              2nd Va Regt., 1813-1815