US Militia

  • PEGGY Mathews
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2002
      Very interesting stuff recently on the sheer size of the possible militia
      musters. So how did states handle duty requirements? i.e. was there a
      national standard, or did individual states decide? It seems that the
      theoretical strength would make raiding operations along the coast
      impractical at best and potentially disastrous. Yet we know otherwise. So,
      in no particular order:

      1. Did the militia drill and train according to the motivation of it's
      commander? Much live firing?

      2. Did the militia have standing or rotating duty where this regiment or
      battalion would be patrolling or at least "on call"?

      3. Did they provide their own equipment and clothing *as a rule* or was
      there a government issue?

      4. Any thoughts on what might be an average muster time once the alarm has
      been given?

      5. Other interesting facts for you to provide.

      Thanks all,

      Michael

      "We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we
      must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

      Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!� Try MSN.
    • alaidh
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2002
        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "PEGGY Mathews" <ciefranche21e@m...> wrote:
        > Very interesting stuff recently on the sheer size of the possible militia=

        > musters. So how did states handle duty requirements? i.e. was there a
        > national standard, or did individual states decide? It seems that the
        > theoretical strength would make raiding operations along the coast
        > impractical at best and potentially disastrous. Yet we know otherwise. =
        So,
        > in no particular order:
        >
        > 1. Did the militia drill and train according to the motivation of it's
        > commander?

        I suspect that was the case.

        Much live firing?

        As indiviuals, yes. As a unit, I imagine that it had to do with the
        motivation of he commander. i would loke to point out however, that in
        most of the actions between British and purely militia defense forces,
        that while the militia invariably broke first they also usually
        inflicted more casualties than they took.

        > 2. Did the militia have standing or rotating duty where this regiment or =

        > battalion would be patrolling or at least "on call"?

        Certainly, in NH. I don't know about other states.

        > 3. Did they provide their own equipment and clothing *as a rule* or was
        > there a government issue?

        Usually depended upon the unit in question, circumstances, and
        availability of stores. For instance, the Boston Hussars supplied their
        own, at a cost of $1200 (1812 money), plus the cost of a blooded horse
        - you could have bought a small schooner for what it cost to outfit
        each man in that company. On the other hand, some of the Kentucky
        militia that showed up at New Orleans were in rags and were unarmed (I
        think Tim can speak on this).

        > 4. Any thoughts on what might be an average muster time once the alarm ha=
        > been given?

        Probably had to do with how spread out the population was, and where
        they were supposed to muster.

        > 5. Other interesting facts for you to provide.

        The coastal raiding was not as cut and dried as it first appears -
        except for the Chesapeake expeditions, most coastal raiding was reduced
        to chicken stealing (a landing force would pillage a few coastal farms,
        isolated from their neighbors, and then leave before the militia could
        arrive - this even happened in the Chesapeake). While the war didn't
        get too serious along the New England coast until 1814, coastal raiders
        were frequently repulsed when the got too ambitious (Hull, Covington,
        York, and Marblehead all come to mind).

        The problem for the Americans was that the coastline was so extensive,
        it was physically impossible to protect a significant portion of at one
        time, regardless of the size of forces available.

        The problem for the British was to try and figure out where there was
        something worth raiding, yet wasn't strongly defended at the moment.

        The whole issue became a guessing game, with the Royal Navy getting an
        occasional chicken dinner in between rounds.

        > Thanks all,
        >
        > Michael
        >

        > "We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we =

        > must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

        > Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!  Try MSN.
        > http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/2monthsfree.asp
      • Ted Y.
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2002
          1st Md. Rifle BN. had 3 companies also, Fells Point
          Rifles, Union Yaegers and Aisquith's Sharpshooters.
          While the bulk of the 120-180 men were actually armed
          with rifles, a hunk of perhaps as many as 45 in one
          compant were apparently issued muskets and served as
          light infantry skirmishers, the main role of the unit
          was essentially skirmishing. I hope to do some further
          research into this, but have not had the time of late
          to get to some of the records.
          As for Uniforms, the 1st Md. provided thie own.
          They were a uniformed Volunteer unit. There were other
          Enrolled Militia Companies in the boondocks and in DC
          who came in civilian clothing. Roughly half of the
          D.C. militia at Bladensburg were enrolled militia.
          Their commander was so disgusted by the appearance of
          some that he sent them home on the eve of Bladensburg,
          ordering them to bring better shoes and butcher
          knives. All of the D.C. "Rifle" units at Bladensburg
          were largely armed with muskets, though there may have
          been a smattering of privately owned rifles.

          Ted Yeatman
          1st Md. Rifle BN.
          Fells Point Rifles

          HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
          http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
        • PEGGY MATHEWS
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2002
            Thanks Ted, interesting stuff. Kind of odd that the musketmen were used as skirmishers while the rifle where kept back. Would you assume that they were proficient, or at least comfortable in a close order role? Guess that just leaves their service record if you have it. Always nice to know what the others did.

            Regards,

            Michael

          • Armchairadm@cs.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
              The equipment, organization & training of US Militia units varied
              widely from state to state. A good basic source for information on their
              Uniforms & equipment's (or at least what they were supposed to have) & to
              some extent on their organization is Rene' Chartrand's "Uniforms & Equipment
              of the United States Forces in the War of 1812" published by Old Ft. Niagara
              in 1992. Don't know if its still in print.

              Ed B.

            • Vcohorspraetoria@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
                Unfortunately, "Uniforms and Equipment of the United States Forces in the War
                of 1812" has been out of print for awhile.
                I had to get one through the inter-library loan system. And then copy off
                the whole book. It is a gold mine of information, and worth the trouble.

                Phil Holmes
                6th Regt. of United States Infantry
                Capt. Machesnay's Company

                http://www.flash.net/~dskesslr/6th_us.html

              • Kevin Windsor
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
                  Wouldn't widely advertise this Phil. Very illegal and since we have a number of authors on this list and a few who speak to Rene, it's best not to admit you have taken
                  royalties away from him.

                • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
                    Kevin,

                    The book is out of print and has been for several years. Royalties are
                    paid for books sold. They have all been sold and Mr. Chartrand has
                    received all the royalties he can for the time being. It would be a
                    different situation of the book was still in stock.

                    My two cent worth.

                    Bob
                  • Vcohorspraetoria@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
                      Plus, it was copied for private use only, and not for resale.

                      Phil

                    • Ted Y.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 26, 2002
                        I just heard from Pete Plunkett of Middlesex Village
                        Trading Co. that he should be getting prototypes soon
                        for two different patterns of U.S. Militia Cartridge
                        Boxes of the 1812 period. One will be an over the
                        shoulder model that's different from the standard 1808
                        pattern, with a 29 hole ctg. block and an implement
                        pocket. The other is a Light Infantry belly box with
                        24
                        holes. Both are copied off original patterns that I
                        supplied him. In addition, he tells me he has a
                        Napoleonic French ctg. box prototype coming. I'll let
                        everyone know when these come in as he will have
                        photos on his web site. He is planning a line of 1812
                        American accoutrements and there may be other
                        additions later on. These should be modestly priced.

                        Y.H.&.O.S.

                        Ted Yeatman
                        1st Md. Rifle BN.
                        Fells Point Rifles

                        > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over
                        > > the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North
                        > > America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
                        > > of square miles...
                        > >
                        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        > HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
                        > http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                      • Ted Y.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 26, 2002
                          Actually, the whole BN. was normally deployed in
                          skirmish order, not JUST the musketmen. The muskets
                          were apparently issued to make up for a difficiency in
                          rifles, probably some later recruits.
                          The 1st NY Rifle Regt. had a mix of 1803's,
                          privately made[and in most cases owned] rifles, plus
                          some muskets, also. This seems to have been a typical
                          arrangement, at least with units in the East. In Md.
                          the militia infantry regiments were allowed one or two
                          flank companies, which could be either Light Infantry
                          or Rifles. In practice, the "Rifle" Companies may have
                          been a mix of guns. I have uncovered another Rifle Co.
                          at Bladensburg, which served with the 17th Md. Inf.,
                          and was later in the fight at Indian Head vs. the
                          British Navy on the Potomac.
                          I was recently over in Bladensburg and it appears
                          that at least some of the battlefield along the
                          Anacostia, which figured in the initial fighting, is
                          in a park, though most of the battle area is now
                          developed. The area in the park is part of that
                          occupied by the 1st Md. Bn. in their fight with the
                          British Light Brigade at the opening of the battle.

                          Y.H. & O.S.
                          Ted Yeatman
                          1st Md. Rifle Bn.
                          Fells Point Rifles.

                          === message truncated ===

                          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                        • PEGGY MATHEWS
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 25, 2002
                            Thanks David.

                            Michael

                            > > 1. Did the militia drill and train according to the motivation of it's
                            > > commander? Much live firing?
                            >
                            > I will have to retrieve my copy of the Maryland, But I do recall that MD
                            > Assembly set the minimum muster schedule of at least twice a year.
                            >
                            > > 2. Did the militia have standing or rotating duty where this regiment or
                            > > battalion would be patrolling or at least "on call"?
                            >
                            > > 4. Any thoughts on what might be an average muster time once the alarm
                            has
                            > > been given?
                            >
                            > The broadsheet I saw for Baltimore after the Washington, indicated ASAP
                            > when the alarm was giving.
                            >
                            > In Service of Scotland and its history,
                            > Your humble and obedient servant,
                            > David S Mallinak

                            square miles...

                          • David S. Mallinak
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 25, 2002
                              PEGGY Mathews wrote:

                              > 1. Did the militia drill and train according to the motivation of it's
                              > commander? Much live firing?

                              I will have to retrieve my copy of the Maryland, But I do recall that MD
                              Assembly set the minimum muster schedule of at least twice a year.

                              > 2. Did the militia have standing or rotating duty where this regiment or
                              > battalion would be patrolling or at least "on call"?

                              > 4. Any thoughts on what might be an average muster time once the alarm has
                              > been given?

                              The broadsheet I saw for Baltimore after the Washington, indicated ASAP
                              when the alarm was giving.

                              In Service of Scotland and its history,
                              Your humble and obedient servant,
                              David S Mallinak
                            • Brian Howard
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 26, 2002
                                Here in the Tidewater Virginia Theatre the militia was
                                called into service for 6 months of service and placed
                                in camps or forts during that time. Muster rolls
                                record units stationed from Cape Henry, at the
                                entrance to the bay in what is now Virginia Beach, to
                                Norfolk, Willoughby to be exact. Additional companies
                                were called up during times of alerts such as the
                                attacks on Craney Island and Hampton, June 22-26,
                                1813.

                                The two forts in the area were Forts Norfolk, on the
                                eastern shore of the Elizabeth River, and Fort Nelson
                                on the western shore. These were both seacoast forts
                                with only Fort Norfolk still standing.

                                Under General Orders issued by General Taylor, the
                                units were to be drilled for at least one hour each
                                day. In one order book a company of militia was
                                ordered to drill for two hours a day until profiency
                                was displayed in the manual of arms and evolutions of
                                the company. Live firing was at a minimum due to the
                                cost and availability of powder and shot.

                                Please visit the site of the 2nd Virginia Regiment,
                                1813-1815, to see information on Fort Norfolk and our
                                unit. If I can be of additional assistance please
                                contact me.

                                God Save the United States!
                                Brian Howard
                                2nd Va Regt., 1813-1815