Re: [WarOf1812] Jeff-Patt was Fort Niagara Event

  • easeufe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002
      In a message dated 10/1/02 10:10:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      jharris@... writes:

      > Now don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful to the British Command for
      > allowing us to play on their side, but where was everyone else?

      Speaking for the Royal Marines and the 89th, we were at Jefferson Patterson
      Park in Calvert County, Maryland. This is also an exact site of several
      engagements notably the Royal Navy's attempts to dislodge an American
      Flotilla under Joshua Barney from St Leonard's Creek. The actions involved
      roughly 20 gunboats and sloops on the American side and the same amount in
      gunboats, sloops and frigates for the Royal Navy.

      Since so many small actions occurred up and down the Patuxent River during
      the preiod that the American flotilla was bottled up, we re-create British
      attempts to capture and silence American positions. Our short tacticals
      involve trying to take gun positions overlooking a beach and on a hill in
      approximately the same place original batteries were in 1814. The site also
      makes sure that the grounds that we play on are not mowed. Taking a hit
      means not being able to see the rest of the action!

      The site provides supper and a tavern night on saturday with the Ship's
      Company Chanteymen usually providing entertainment. Ask the 89th if they
      injoyed themselves!

      And it also is the last weekend in September. The actual events occurred in
      June but since summers in Maryland are notorious for their heat and humidity,
      the site moved it to September for re-enactors and visitors alike. This was
      also our 5th annual event.

      Ed Seufert, LCpl
      1812 Royal Marines
      1st Co/2nd Batt RM