Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Hobbses

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
      Cpl Monahan raises some interesting ?'s. We are originally from
      Gloucestershire, but my gg grandfather, Frederick, knocked up (i.e. got
      preggers) the family maid, Jane Beard, and was forced to leave the
      ancestral 'ome. He went to London, and thence, in 1880 to South Wales
      where me g grandfather, Charles was born, just two months after the
      marriage.
      South Wales is where I wuz born, 'n lived in Deb'n from age 10 to 20,
      hence the love of scrumpy.

      The Irish connection - hate to say this to a bloke named Monahan, but me
      other ancestors went raping and pillaging across Ireland (remember
      Drogheda and Wexford?) with Cromwell after the ECW. They never became
      RCs, but remained staunch Anglicans. The gang that remained in
      Gloucester became Baptists (sorry AdC Lozon!)

      Oh, I iz confoozed. Just discovered a James Hobbs in the 41st in the
      War of 1812, born in Wiltsshire, where other parts of me family came
      from. He was hospitalized in Ancaster after the disaster at
      Moraviantown.

      So, we never worked in the peat bog - we owned it! End of story. As for
      haggis - God forbid, we prefer faggots and peas. 'Tis an acquired
      taste.

      Sergeant 'Obbs
      41st Regiment of Foot

      petemonahan@... wrote:

      > Hobbses? Hobbs's? Hobbies? Hobbits?
      >
      > Are we to understand then, from Sergeant Hobbes' account, that his
      > "seedbed"
      > were "invited" ( manners deny that we use a stronger term) to leave
      > not one
      > but TWO great nations - first England , then Ireland? Or are we to
      > believe
      > that first England's then Ireland's "lose" is Kent County's gain?
      > Sounds
      > veddy suspicious to me!
      >
      > Peter Monahan, Corporal, RNR

      > THOUSANDS of square miles...

    • PEGGY MATHEWS
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
        >Hobbses? Hobbs's? Hobbies?! Hobbits?!!

        Bagginssssssssssssssssss, we hates them forever! Gollum!

        (Sorry, trailers for "The Two Towers" getting more common) ;-)

        Bye,

        M.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
          From: "MICHAEL MATHEWS" <ciefranche21e@...>

          Hobbses? Hobbs's? Hobbies?! Hobbits?!!

          Bagginssssssssssssssssss, we hates them forever! Gollum!

          (Sorry, trailers for "The Two Towers" getting more common) ;-)

          'n that spells "COMFORT" :^)

          signed

          THORAN OAKENSHIELD
          (damn I love that name!)