Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Chatham

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2002
      If it comes to mud pies at forty yards, Drum Major. I'll be your
      second. Talbot had connections with County Ofally, Ireland, where the
      little village of Birr was situated. Among some of his earliest
      immigrants came the Hobbses of County Ofally, and they settled north of
      London, Ontario, changed the name of the hamlet of Hughesville, to
      Birr. Check the graveyard - there are over thirty Hobbs graves there.
      These Hobbses came to Ireland in the 17th century from the Gloucester
      and Wiltshire region of England - same seedbed as my ancestors.
      James Hobbs owned half the county.
      Richard Hobbs, of Bleak House, Middlesex County, Ontario was a
      gentleman.
      'haggis-bashing serfs' my *%$#! Oh, the horror, the horror!
      Raymond Hobbs
      41st Regt.

      Ross Flowers wrote:

      > " haggis-bashing serfs."
      >
      > If you were a gentleman, I'd make you eat grass!
      >
      > Ross
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > THOUSANDS of square miles...

    • badger222ca
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2002
        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Chewie" <bkba21788@b...> wrote:
        > Well aint that just the trouble with a good name . everybody ends
        up using it .

        > Chewie
        > unit commander
        > 50th West Kent Regiment Re Enactment Unit
        > " not a good looking bunch , but devilish steady"

        >Ho, ho, most satirical.
        It reminds me of when I took a course at the University of Western
        Ontario, in London, Canada. The lecturer was Gerald S. Graham, naval
        historian at the University of London, England.
        He declared London, Ontario, the most Imperial city he had ever seen.
        Every street, he said, seemed to have its Old London counterpart. It
        made for a lot of confusion when he was communicating with his
        colleagues back home. You really must see it for yourself. Why not
        bring your mob over for a visit to one of our events. Longwoods is
        right outside London and next year they are planning a big
        extravaganza in the London area for the bicentennial of the Talbot
        settlement by that old rogue Col. Thomas Talbot and his bogtrotting
        and haggis-bashing serfs.

        Pte. Timothy Avery
        Volunteer Battalion, Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
        `The Redcoat Ploughboys'

      • Ross Flowers
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2002
          " haggis-bashing serfs."

          If you were a gentleman, I'd make you eat grass!

          Ross
        • Chewie

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1, 2002
              --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Chewie" <bkba21788@b...> wrote:
              > Thanks for the kind invite , I do not know as yet about the other
              members , will ask at our AGM , this coming weekend .
              > I however will be unable to attend , as my heart is set on moving
              to Spain early next year with a new job to boot .

              > Chewie
              > unit commander
              > 50th West Kent Regiment Re Enactment Unit
              > " not a good looking bunch , but devilish steady"

              Probably a wise decision, moving to Spain. You can see what a hostile
              and threatening lot these Celts are. :-)
              I guess I'd better carry me blackthorn with me next time I go to one
              of these re-enacting dos, eh?
              This ere `obbs character is a right bloodthirsty Wurzel, I always
              thought `e were a Welshman.
              I reckon `e be Wurzel and Welsh, same as me.
              So, Scrumpy's on me, next time we meet Mr. Hobbs.
              Churz!
              Pte. Wurzel Avery
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1, 2002
                From: "Chewie" <bkba21788@...>

                I however will be unable to attend, as ...moving to Spain

                Sir Chewie

                I checked it out there are planes flying from Spain to Canada
                maybe even right into London Ontario Canada ...:-)
              • Five Rivers
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 2, 2002
                  To any of you who were expecting to see Gary and I (Five Rivers
                  Chapmanry) at Faire at the Forks in Chatham this weekend, I'm going to have
                  to disappoint you. Gary has severely injured his back today, to the point
                  the poor man can barely walk. We're going up to the hospital this evening,
                  hopefully, to have it looked it.

                  Having said that, with me so arthritic, and now with Gary down for the
                  count, it is going to be impossible for us to pack the 2000 pounds of
                  equipment for our encampment, let alone think about unloading, setting up,
                  working all weekend, and then packing up just to bring it all home and
                  unload and unpack. Not going to happen.

                  So, apologies all. I'm hoping this thing isn't severe, or chronic.

                  And my double apologies for taking up band-width with personal items.

                  Regards
                  Lorina
                  supplies
                  (519) 799-5577, fax (519) 799-5418 http://www.5rivers.org email:
                  info@...
                • peter monahan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 3, 2004
                    Greetings (Canadian) listoids

                    Sorry for a personal post here but my e-dress book got fried last
                    month!

                    My apologies to any who may have missed me at Chatham. And a big
                    raspberry to those who didn't! :) "The best laid plans gang aft
                    agley", as that Scots guy said: all set to pack my chariot when real
                    life intruded.

                    If I owe you money or shoe work, please contact me off list and I'll
                    recitify the matter a.s.a.p. (Except Uncle Larry! I'm not talking
                    to you until I get my frock coat back!)

                    A slight chance I'll be at Missinewa, otherwise, winter well and I
                    hope to see you in the spring. Alwats willing to winter work on
                    boots: drop off in Alliston,T.O. (the center of the universe)or the
                    Christmas show in Hamilton.

                    Awra best!
                    Peter Monahan, RNR
                    705-435-0953 / petemonahan@...