Rum Issue

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2002
      Fascinating (hic!) thread, or should I say, stream.

      I don't know how far back this goes, but in the late 19th cent. and up
      to WW1 rum was issued to the men from large ceramic containers, stamped
      'SRD', which stood for 'Special Rations Department'.

      The men had another name for this - 'Seldom Reached Destination'.

      Richard Holmes' book 'Acts of War (also published as 'Firing Line') has
      a nice section on rum issues, and its effect on soldiers. Most of the
      examples, though are post-Napoleonic.

      My dram's worth
      Ray Hobbs