Re: [WarOf1812] Re:Real Bread

  • petemonahan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2002
      Andrew

      I'll have to try Josiah Ben';ts product, but in the meantime, here's how you get the "layers and bubbled..." effect in home-baked.
      British army biscuit
      6 round biscuits, or maybe 8 - don't have source with me - to a pound of flour
      pricked with in a pattern - the initial letter of the place of baking (Y for York, etc)
      rolled into thin layers, then folded over, not just hand-moulded into the shape. apparently there were supposed to be seven layers, but the best I've ever had the patience to do was five. Makes it far easier to break up/eat & gives the layerrs you spoke of.
      As you say, white with a faint hint of brown/gold

      Br. Army later (1840's?) went to octagonal biscuits when they mechanized the process (Also introduced more weevils from contamination in the machinery!)

      Still tastes the same though!

      --
      P Monahan
      petemonahan@... / pmonahan@...