Re: new orleans news

  • ebclemson
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 5 7:57 PM
      Tim,

      That is good new that it will be historically correct as possible, exactly what I was hoping for.

      Of course I am fully aware that there were more than one battle.

      What is a more proper term than stating "The Battle of New Orleans" ?

      Would "The New Orleans Campaign" be more proper? I suppose that "the battle of New Orleans" pops out of the mouth a little more easier, though we know there were more than one battle.

      Looking forward to saying Hello again at Mississinewa.

      Sincerely, Dave Bennett 1st US Infy & Missouri Rangers.

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 5 8:38 PM
        In a message dated 9/5/2002 10:19:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
        ebclemson@... writes:

        > What is a more proper term than stating "The Battle of New Orleans" ?
        >
        > Would "The New Orleans Campaign" be more proper? I suppose that "the
        > battle of New Orleans" pops out of the mouth a little more easier, though
        > we know there were more than one battle.

        Well, when most people say 'Battle of NO' they mean the battle on the 8th not
        the campaign but personally I prefer 'campaign'. After all that's what it was.

      • davebevca
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 5 11:10 PM
          Tim,

          We probably use the term "Battle of New Orleans" rather than the"New
          Orleans campaign" because of the influence of a Mr. Horton who
          presented a colourful but inaccurate version of events some years ago.
          It all happened after the war was over so it is acedemic anyway. -:)
          I am, of course, joking.
          Dave.
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 6 7:54 AM
            From: "ANDREW S BATEMAN" <abateman@...>

            Recreations of actual battles are cool, but the fly in the ointment as far
            as 1812 is concerned is numbers. You know, "1812... 18 on one side,
            12 on the other!"

            I must agree with Andrew, as Narrator at battles, I stand with the
            spectators
            and some of the historic battles recreations look real dumb! Cavalry
            engagements
            with no cavalry, battles that have troops climbing up a hill with musket
            fire raining
            down on them being recreated on a flat field, again ..... you get the
            picture.

            The other fly in the ointment is distance, a lot won't or can't take the
            time off
            work or afford to travel long distances. As I posted earlier, a two day
            drive down,
            a two day drive back, three days there, that's seven days and that is not
            bringing
            bad winter into the picture. New Orleans is 21 hours, 29 minutes being
            2018.35 km
            from my house. This being an hour from Toronto where the majority of the
            "red
            coats" are.

            A suggestion would be to obtain corporate sponsorship, co-ordinate a 'coming
            out'
            event and subsidise a tour (something like Waterloo), now you will get a
            plane
            load of red coats and a New Orleans Festival will happen. You could even
            plan
            this biggie every 5 years ............!

            I do not want to be a harbinger of doom, with the opposing lines New Orleans
            surely will grow. But, if the numbers are low, don't try to do the Battle of
            Waterloo!
          • badger222ca
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 6 10:25 AM
              > From: "ANDREW S BATEMAN" <abateman@f...>
              >

              > A suggestion would be to obtain corporate sponsorship

              Here's how the ACW boys do it.
              T.Avery

              Ready, aim, sell: Corporate sponsors enlisted for Civil War event
              (Corporate-Re-Enactmen)
              Source: The Associated Press
              Sep 5, 2002 15:18

              ----------

              HAGERSTOWN, Md. (AP) _ And now, the slaughter at Bloody Lane, brought
              to you by F&M Bank.

              Corporate sponsors and 13,000 Civil War buffs will come together next
              week to re-enact the bloodiest day on U.S. soil, the Battle of
              Antietam.

              For the first time at such an event, three of the nearly 40
              participating companies are exclusive sponsors of specific
              skirmishes.

              In addition to the fighting at Bloody Lane, where 5,500 men were
              killed or wounded, spectators can watch the daybreak clash in the
              Cornfield, sponsored by Antietam Cable, and the afternoon arrival of
              Confederate Gen. A.P. Hill's men _ presented through the courtesy of
              Hagerstown Trust.

              The sponsors also include the investment bank Salomon Smith Barney,
              PepsiCo and Allegheny Energy, a Fortune 500 company headquartered
              near the re-enactment site, 400 privately owned hectares about 110
              kilometres north of Washington, D.C. 16 kilometres from the real
              battlefield.

              Never have so many corporations been part of a Civil War re-
              enactment, and never so visibly, though their representatives will be
              stationed in a sponsors' tent near the entrance gate, and logos will
              not be allowed on the battlefield.

              Glenn LeBoeuf, Salomon Smith Barney's representative at the Sept. 13-
              15 event, said it is an opportunity to reach prospective clients he,
              as a former re-enactor, knows well.

              During his 13 years playing a private in the 3rd New Jersey Volunteer
              Infantry, ``I never got a chance to talk about investment portfolios
              while I was in camp because it was inappropriate to do so,'' LeBoeuf
              said. He is hopeful the re-enactors won't mind talking business at
              the corporate tent.

              His company is paying $1,000 US to have LeBoeuf there.

              Event organizers say sponsors' dollars and in-kind donations,
              totalling more than $140,000, will help them stage more realistic
              clashes and raise more money for battlefield preservation.

              ``Our corporate sponsors understand the commemorative nature of this
              event and its solemn and respectful nature,'' said Dennis Frye, co-
              chairman of the organizing committee.

              And there is no indication of any resentment on the part of the re-
              enactors, who are such sticklers for authenticity that some have been
              known to count the threads on their uniforms to make sure the fabric
              is historically accurate. Some say the corporate backing is needed to
              keep down the costs of admission: $10 to $25 for re-enactors, $17 per
              day for adult spectators.

              ``It's just another way for them to make money,'' said Don Harrelson,
              of Virginia Beach, Va., who is president of the American Living
              History Society and will portray a member of the 3rd Georgia
              Regiment.

              George Lomas, an organizer of next summer's 140th re-enactment of the
              1863 Gettysburg battle _ the turning point in the Civil War _ said
              his group is lining up big corporate sponsors, too. Milestone
              anniversaries of key Civil War engagements are ``mega-events,''
              requiring much more preparation than a typical annual re-enactment,
              he said.

              ``It's a lot more expensive, and there's a lot more exposure for the
              corporate people who want to be sponsors, as well,'' Lomas said.

              The Antietam event will include four major fight scenarios and 100
              pieces of artillery with Hollywood-quality pyrotechnics.

              The sunup-to-sundown battle waged on Sept. 17, 1862, along the banks
              of Antietam Creek near Sharpsburg, Md., left at least 6,300 soldiers
              dead and 17,000 more wounded or missing.

              The marketing opportunities were revealed by the
              135th-anniversary Antietam re-enactment in 1997, which stunned its
              promoters by drawing 12,000 re-enactors and more than 70,000
              spectators over three days _ numbers surpassed only by the 135th
              Gettysburg anniversary the following July.

              The last Antietam re-enactment before that, in 1987, attracted just
              6,000 combatants. During the intervening years, Ken Burns' television
              documentary The Civil War and the 1993 movie Gettysburg led to a
              surge in interest in the Civil War.

              For the re-enactors at Antietam, this year's battle is ``equivalent
              to the Super Bowl or the Masters tournament,'' said Robert Arch, co-
              chairman of the event. ``This is basically the top of the line.''

              INDEX: BUSINESS FINANCE DEFENCE SOCIAL

              ----------

              Received Id 801074164 on Sep 05 2002 15:18
            • HQ93rd@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 6 5:39 PM
                In a message dated 05/9/02 8:39:29 PM, BritcomHMP@... writes:

                << Well, when most people say 'Battle of NO' they mean the battle on the 8th
                not
                the campaign but personally I prefer 'campaign'. After all that's what it
                was. >>

                I've also seen it as, "Siege of New Orleans", but I agree with Tim that
                "Campaign of" is probably closer to the mark.

                93rd SHRoFLHU
                THE Thin Red Line
                www.93rdhighlanders.com