Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: new orleans news

  • ANDREW S BATEMAN
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 5 7:55 PM
      From: "ebclemson" <ebclemson@...>

      > American Civil War has for the most part, out grown the "demonstration"
      stage. I'm curious as to why War of 1812 has not attempted more actual
      battle recreations ?

      Recreations of actual battles are cool, but the fly in the ointment as far
      as 1812 is concerned is numbers. You know, "1812... 18 on one side, 12 on
      the other!" Even at a "big" event with a couple of hundred muskets, you
      would need to manage the field properly, perhaps only showing part of the
      action, for a recreation of a major battle to be convincing. Or do a
      recreation of a smaller skirmish.

      Even in ACW the only chance you get to show a full-sized battle is at major
      "national" events such as the 140th anniversary series that is going on from
      2001-2005. (Sharpsburg is coming up the weekend after next - can't wait!)
      At 135th Gettysburg in '98 they had perhaps 18,000 muskets on the field -
      only 10% of the original numbers but enough to do Pickett's Charge on a 1:1
      scale with 15,000 Rebs charging and 3,000 Yanks on "Cemetery Ridge" putting
      out a convincing amount of musket smoke. The whole rest of the
      mile-and-a-half front was, of course, left to the imagination. At smaller
      events you can show smaller actions (two detached companies capturing the
      shoe warehouse at Burgsville!), but at micro-events you just do a generic
      "tactical". Attempting something like a reenactment of Gettysburg with a
      company representing Pickett's Division would look absurd, but you could do
      some obscure skirmish that happened at a local town with small numbers.

      I'd love to do the skirmish at the River Canard someday - the opening shots
      on the Detroit frontier, and it could be managed with small numbers of
      troops.

      Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 6 4:29 PM
        Another problem is what to do with units that were not there. If the 41st were not at a battle (although few) should you guys sit and watch? I don't think so!

      • HQ93rd@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 6 5:48 PM
          In a message dated 06/9/02 5:15:27 PM, kevin.windsor@... writes:

          << Another problem is what to do with units that were not there. If the 41st
          were not at a battle (although few) should you guys sit and watch? I don't
          think so! >>

          There is that, but depending on one's anality (is that a word? Well, it is
          now!) about such things, unless one gets up close and reads belt plates and
          buttons on most uniforms (Brit, anyways) one can't really tell too well.
          -----OK, so us Highlanders are easy to spot and stick out like a sore thumb
          at places no Highlanders saw. Hey -- Get one of those corporate sponsors to
          help us all buy shakos and we can "mesh" like the rest!
          ;-)
          That's a smiley wink up there.

          93rd SHRoFLHU
          THE Thin Red Line
          www.93rdhighlanders.com
        • dancingbobd@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 6 10:38 PM
            Hi Maj. B,

            Shakos are nice, but the skirt, OPPPPS, the kilt will still leave you
            looking special!
            ;>)

            Bob Dorian
            US Engineer
          • HQ93rd@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 7 2:01 AM
              In a message dated 06/9/02 10:39:17 PM, dancingbobd@... writes:

              << Hi Maj. B,

              Shakos are nice, but the skirt, OPPPPS, the kilt will still leave you
              looking special!
              ;>)

              Bob Dorian
              US Engineer

              Anyone can make pants....
              :-)

              93rd SHRoFLHU
              THE Thin Red Line
              www.93rdhighlanders.com
            • charlespk66
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 7 7:33 PM
                Greetings all,
                I've been following the postings about the January New Orleans event
                and thought I'd throw my two cents. After surviving several NPS
                planning meetings as president of the Chalmette Living History
                Volunteers, I've managed to stir things up a little bit.

                Some specifics you all may be interested in.

                -We're trying to work with the National Park's schedule so that a
                reenactment adds to rather than takes away from the commemoration
                held there each year.

                -We're planning to hold the reenactment at 1pm on Saturday, January
                11, 2003 at Torres Park in Chalmette, LA. Even though it's early in
                the afternoon, the idea is to recreate the night battle of December
                23, 1814. It may include about a one mile march to the site. One
                possibility is that the British forces will be shuttled over before
                hand to take over the Villere plantation while the US forces "march
                from the city" to attack. We plan to have a script to issue to units
                ahead of time. We also plan to have a sound system and narrator.

                -Due to NPS policy on reenactments, the NPS will not play a role in
                planning or supporting the reenactment, but they have said that
                they're glad to see one getting organized as it will draw more
                reenactors to their event.

                -No plans for off site period camping sites are being considered.
                Period camping space is available at the battlefield. Local hotels
                are another option. Also, we should be able to accomodate requests
                for tent space and airport pick up. If you let me know ASAP, then we
                can be prepared.

                -"Da Parish" will provide support for the reenactment. They've
                offered the use of a park which would have been on the far end of the
                original battlefield. They've offered to provide a liability policy.
                They've offered a meal to the participants. They've offered to
                provide powder. They may provide a budget for ground charges. They
                haven't offered unit bounties. They will allow concession stands and
                sutlers to set up at the site of the reenactment. If they see that
                this can draw a crowd, they've expressed interest in building a
                rampart and purchasing artillery at the site for future use if that's
                what we want.

                -Anyone camping at the battlefield is not supposed to have any black
                powder with them. Rather than issue cans of powder, local volunteers
                will try to pre roll cartidges that will be issued at the reenactment
                site. These will have to be used up there before returning to the NPS
                site.

                -Usual saftey rules will be enforced. Therefore, last minute walk ons
                can't be allowed. Drill and weapon inspections will be held for all
                participants at the NPS site as part of the usual demonstrations
                taking place there. We hope to rely on unit commanders to help with
                this.

                I hope this answers some of your questions and that many of you are
                able to make it down. If you have other questions, email me at:
                cpecquet@...

                Sincerely,
                Charles Pecquet
                Chef du bataillon d'Orleans
              • klamar93rd
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 7 11:16 PM
                  Hello to all-

                  Many thanks to Charles Pecquet for posting that update. And
                  THREE CHEERS for his leadership and determination in finally
                  making a battle reenactment at New Orleans a reality!

                  Inital news of this event on the War of 1812 YahooGroup arrived
                  with an email of mine which had been forwarded to this
                  ListServe ... Though well-intended and meant primarily to spark
                  some interest in the Living History community, my email
                  included some false information, particulary in regards to
                  specific plans for a scripted battle reenactment and the
                  involvement of local government. My apologies for any
                  miscommunication that my "Jumping the gun" might have
                  caused.

                  Fortunately I was able to meet Saturday with Charles and other
                  entusiastic members of Plauche's Batallion to gather
                  information and discuss plans for January. The current plan to
                  reenact the Night Battle of 23 December 1814 is a brilliant
                  proposal which offers many opportunities for members of both
                  sides of the conflict. Hopefully, supplementing a battle to the
                  existing NPS Living History encampment will act as an incentive
                  to draw more participants AND visitors to an event which
                  commemorates one of the most pivotal moments of US history.

                  As the ONLY enthusiast in New Orleans currently portraying a
                  Redcoat, I wholeheartedly encourage any and all War of 1812
                  reenactors to join us in January. ESPECIALLY British units! Brit
                  participation at the New Orleans anniversary is traditionally
                  limited. Your presence here would be highly appreciated. Not to
                  mention, a great time is always had by those who make the
                  journey!

                  I am committed to assisting my friends of the Bataillon d'Orleans
                  with organization and planning, to help make this event a
                  success.. Any suggestions or caveats from seasoned event
                  organizers/participants are more than welcome.

                  Looking forward to seeing you here in January!

                  Pte. Kendall Lamar
                  93rd Sutherland Highlanders

                • HQ93rd@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 8 1:26 AM
                    In a message dated 07/9/02 11:16:31 PM, klamar@... writes:

                    << As the ONLY enthusiast in New Orleans currently portraying a
                    Redcoat, >>

                    Woops -- Tim may have something to say about that!
                    ;-)

                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                    THE Thin Red Line
                    www.93rdhighlanders.com
                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 8 1:29 AM
                      In a message dated 07/9/02 7:41:17 PM, charlespk66@... writes:

                      << We plan to have a script to issue to units
                      ahead of time. We also plan to have a sound system and narrator. >>

                      I will be happy to help input any details for a script on the battle.
                      For instance, in the memoirs of a Brit 7th Reg't sergeant, he spoke of a US
                      regular unit firing "as if on parade" -- and that when the Americans came to
                      the aim/present, the veteran Brits would drop to the ground thus avoiding the
                      hail of balls, jump back up and fire -- to noticeable affect on the US troops.
                      Another -- there was an instance where the 93rd had arrived on the field and
                      one company was mistaken (somehow) by US militia to be other US forces. The
                      93rd proceeded to capture the fellows.
                      All sorts of interesting stuff going on "in the dark".
                      Oh -- and if Larry Lozon is there, he makes an excellent narrator (just have
                      to get him there!)

                      And if you guys don't hear it enough -- THANK YOU for doing all that you do
                      for this event. I was once a 9 hour drive from Chalmette, now it takes a
                      plane flight of 4 or 5 hours to get there -- in either case it was hard to
                      organize most things. It is wonderful to have folks THERE who care!

                      93rd SHRoFLHU
                      THE Thin Red Line
                      www.93rdhighlanders.com
                    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 8 7:17 AM
                        In a message dated 9/8/2002 3:26:31 AM Central Daylight Time, HQ93rd@...
                        writes:

                        > Woops -- Tim may have something to say about that!
                        > ;-)

                        You mean about portraying a Brit at NO for the last 14 years? Well, if folk
                        haven't noticed by now that's OK.

                        Charles has done great work with 'da Parish', his being in that area has been
                        of inestimable value and I think has given people there confidence that it
                        can be their event, not just outsiders coming in when they feel like it.

                        We have been talking about the script but of course all we can do is say what
                        we would like to do. The more folk who attend the more interesting things can
                        be incorporated so now is the time to think about getting your units down
                        here. Particularly the Brits!

                      • klamar93rd
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 8 7:40 PM
                          HQ93rd@a... wrote
                          > Woops -- Tim may have something to say about that!
                          > ;-)

                          Uh-OH!!

                          Ummm, the key word there was ...REDcoat ! Yes, that's it...RED!
                          (I believe General Pickles' jacket is of a more Blue-ish colour.
                          Same goes for that New Orleans gentleman in the dashing
                          Royal Navy uniform!)

                          Let me rephrase: I'm the only enthusiast representing British
                          INFANTRY in New Orleans... The Anniversary event could benefit
                          greatly from more OR on the field (not to say that the sheer
                          brilliance and unparalleled mannerisms of our fine Officer Corps
                          isn't wholeheartedly appreciated by the "scum of the earth"!)

                        • JGIL1812@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 9 2:14 AM
                            klamar@... writes:

                            << (not to say that the sheer
                            brilliance and unparalleled mannerisms of our fine Officer Corps
                            isn't wholeheartedly appreciated by the "scum of the earth"!) >>

                            Kendall,

                            Let me understand this.... are you saying that the daily ration isn't right?
                            I should hope not my dear man. It is the duty of every officer who attends
                            New Orleans to see that all of the men are taken care of.

                            Since I am well aquatinted with all of the officers in question, I can assure
                            the world and any of those who are thinking of attending this years event,
                            that all of the OR's that parade at Chalmette are well plied with only the
                            worlds finest single malt scotch on a regular basis.

                            Huzzah!!!!

                            JG/RE
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 9 9:39 AM
                              From: <HQ93rd@...>

                              " ... if Larry Lozon is there, he makes an excellent narrator
                              (just have to get him there!)

                              Major B,

                              workin' on it !