The reenactment in New Orleans

  • grenadier1815
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
      I am one of the reenactors from the host unit for the reenactment in
      New Orleans this year. The reenactment WILL follow a historical
      basis... it is not just a generic demonstration of period fighting.
      It will be a reenactment of the Dec. 23 battle that occured the day
      the British first landed. In that battle we see the initial
      encounter between Jackson's forces and the initial British landing
      force under the command of General Keane. This was chosend because
      we don't need a rampart or masses of cannon and it is a rather
      exciting, sharp, fast paced battle that goes back and forth and
      allows both sides to have their highpoints. The US regulars start
      the battle off by initially pushing the rather dumfounded brits
      back. Who will quickly reform and return the favor to the americans,
      the american line wil be stabalized by the advance of le Battalion
      d'Orleans (the old guard grenadier looknig fellows, and host unit)
      as well as the spanish trained free men of color unit. The more
      European trained american units that are fresh will begin a bayont
      charge but will be recalled before making contact, and the whole
      american side will start to fall back leaving a couple of militia
      behind to be captured by the Anglican hordes. Now doesn't that
      sound like fun and worth the trip guys! :-)
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
        In a message dated 9/5/2002 4:01:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
        Grenadier1815@... writes:

        > the whole
        > american side will start to fall back leaving a couple of militia
        > behind to be captured by the Anglican hordes.

        Actually a lot of the Brit rank and file were Irish Catholics! ;-)

      • HQ93rd@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
          I have always said the 23 December battle would be an excellent choice if
          only one choice can be had, and for all the reasons Grenadier1815 states
          below.

          OR -- we could do the West Bank battle of the 8 January.
          How's THAT sit with the parapet boys?
          (They ran upstream so fast the hounds couldn't catch 'em,
          Up the Mississippi to the Port of New Orleo...)
          (This is a smiley wink) --
          ;-)

          And unless someone can prophecy and produce at least a couple of three
          hundred participants on EACH side, the 8 Jan. East Bank assault would look
          (and feel) incredibly stupid.

          Be happy people, that there is FINALLY going to be something of a battle to
          be done at New Orleans! -- And unless one is going to jump up and take charge
          and GET IT DONE themselves (as Plauche's has done) I would kindly suggest to
          plug up, show up, and have a grand time!
          And this is another smiley wink --
          :-)

          In a message dated 05/9/02 2:01:23 PM, Grenadier1815@... writes:

[...]

          93rd SHRoFLHU
          THE Thin Red Line
          www.93rdhighlanders.com
        • ebclemson
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
            --- In WarOf1812@y..., HQ93rd@a... wrote:
            > I have always said the 23 December battle would be an excellent choice if
            > only one choice can be had, and for all the reasons Grenadier1815 states
            > below.

            DAVE: I agree that what Grenadier1815 states sounds good, but this was a far cry from the "Demonstration" only that was previously suggested. My point apparently agreed upon by others that portraying an actual battle, or segment of a battle is more enjoyable.

            > Be happy people, that there is FINALLY going to be something of a battle to
            > be done at New Orleans! -- And unless one is going to jump up and take charge
            > and GET IT DONE themselves (as Plauche's has done) I would kindly suggest to
            > plug up, show up, and have a grand time!

            DAVE: I disagree that just because I am not organizing an event that any thoughts or suggestions I may have are deemed worthless. "PLUG UP" ?
            :( Big sad face inserted here. If I mis-interpreted your meaning please accept my humble apology.

            My comments were not meant to attack anyone's hard work on putting on event, it was in regard to a proposed "Demonstration." As someone who organizes events every year I appreciate the efforts that units and individuals put into putting on an event. Many times it is a thankless task. As an organizer I'm always listening and asking for input from participants.

            We are hoping to bring down some Missourians this coming year to N.O.

            Adieu, Dave Bennett, 1st Infy. & Missouri Rangers.

          • HQ93rd@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2002
              In a message dated 05/9/02 7:47:07 PM, ebclemson@... writes:

              << DAVE: I disagree that just because I am not organizing an event that any
              thoughts or suggestions I may have are deemed worthless. "PLUG UP" ?
              :( Big sad face inserted here. If I mis-interpreted your meaning please
              accept my humble apology. >>

              Ya know --- I don't really know WHAT I meant by that. But it sounded good.
              Maybe associate it with a musket? Or plug of tobacco? Then it's a "period
              saying". (Bath tub plug?)
              Oh, and don't forget I added right after that, "this is a smiley wink"
              ;-)
              That's it right there, above.

              93rd SHRoFLHU
              THE Thin Red Line
              www.93rdhighlanders.com
            • ebclemson
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2002
                B.......

                Yep saw the smily face winking and winked right back!

                I've got to admit, it did have a good ring to it! Kinda catchy too.

                DB.