Re: [WarOf1812] new orleans news

  • easeufe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2002
      kevin.windsor@... writes:

      > Are you planning on comming down Ed? Sounds fun.

      I think its a plot by Benton to get us to play on NPS land!

      Ed Seufert, LCpl
      1812 Royal Marines
      1st Co/2nd Batt RM

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
        From: "ebclemson" <ebclemson@...>

        larry and List,

        " ... I would prefer for the battle to be close as possible as the original.
        War of 1812 events seem to lean toward "Generic" "demonstations"
        instead of taking on the more difficult path to portraying the actual
        battle as close as possible.

        ____________

        Dave

        Having driven from Canada to the New Orleans event three times
        through snow, sleet, ice, well you get the picture ....... !

        I would rather the event be in the summer as then a whack of Canadian
        Brits may attend and change history!! :^)

        Seriously David, I have found that events in good driving weather attract
        more attendance. Notwithstanding those who won't drive more than fifty
        miles to an event anyway.

        Tomorrow is a short one as the drive to Fort Henry
        http://www.parks.on.ca/fort/home.htm
        is a 3 hours, 47 minutes drive with a total distance of 350.71 km.

        Larry Lozon
      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
          Just to reassure some jitters out there.

          The idea IS to do as historically correct battle as possible, however (and I
          am a bit disappointed at having to point this out to the list) the New
          Orleans CAMPAIGN had more than one battle in it! The idea is to try to create
          the night battle of the 23rd December 1814, lots of troop movement and
          confusion with the actual outcome being something of a draw.

          Hopefully lots of fun all round and we will begin to pry the door open for
          2015 when we can do all 4 battles, of course that will entail everyone
          spending Christmas and New Year in New Orleans. Better book now!

        • ebclemson
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
            Tim,

            That is good new that it will be historically correct as possible, exactly what I was hoping for.

            Of course I am fully aware that there were more than one battle.

            What is a more proper term than stating "The Battle of New Orleans" ?

            Would "The New Orleans Campaign" be more proper? I suppose that "the battle of New Orleans" pops out of the mouth a little more easier, though we know there were more than one battle.

            Looking forward to saying Hello again at Mississinewa.

            Sincerely, Dave Bennett 1st US Infy & Missouri Rangers.

          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
              In a message dated 9/5/2002 10:19:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
              ebclemson@... writes:

              > What is a more proper term than stating "The Battle of New Orleans" ?
              >
              > Would "The New Orleans Campaign" be more proper? I suppose that "the
              > battle of New Orleans" pops out of the mouth a little more easier, though
              > we know there were more than one battle.

              Well, when most people say 'Battle of NO' they mean the battle on the 8th not
              the campaign but personally I prefer 'campaign'. After all that's what it was.

            • davebevca
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
                Tim,

                We probably use the term "Battle of New Orleans" rather than the"New
                Orleans campaign" because of the influence of a Mr. Horton who
                presented a colourful but inaccurate version of events some years ago.
                It all happened after the war was over so it is acedemic anyway. -:)
                I am, of course, joking.
                Dave.
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 6, 2002
                  From: "ANDREW S BATEMAN" <abateman@...>

                  Recreations of actual battles are cool, but the fly in the ointment as far
                  as 1812 is concerned is numbers. You know, "1812... 18 on one side,
                  12 on the other!"

                  I must agree with Andrew, as Narrator at battles, I stand with the
                  spectators
                  and some of the historic battles recreations look real dumb! Cavalry
                  engagements
                  with no cavalry, battles that have troops climbing up a hill with musket
                  fire raining
                  down on them being recreated on a flat field, again ..... you get the
                  picture.

                  The other fly in the ointment is distance, a lot won't or can't take the
                  time off
                  work or afford to travel long distances. As I posted earlier, a two day
                  drive down,
                  a two day drive back, three days there, that's seven days and that is not
                  bringing
                  bad winter into the picture. New Orleans is 21 hours, 29 minutes being
                  2018.35 km
                  from my house. This being an hour from Toronto where the majority of the
                  "red
                  coats" are.

                  A suggestion would be to obtain corporate sponsorship, co-ordinate a 'coming
                  out'
                  event and subsidise a tour (something like Waterloo), now you will get a
                  plane
                  load of red coats and a New Orleans Festival will happen. You could even
                  plan
                  this biggie every 5 years ............!

                  I do not want to be a harbinger of doom, with the opposing lines New Orleans
                  surely will grow. But, if the numbers are low, don't try to do the Battle of
                  Waterloo!
                • badger222ca
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 6, 2002
                    > From: "ANDREW S BATEMAN" <abateman@f...>
                    >

                    > A suggestion would be to obtain corporate sponsorship

                    Here's how the ACW boys do it.
                    T.Avery

                    Ready, aim, sell: Corporate sponsors enlisted for Civil War event
                    (Corporate-Re-Enactmen)
                    Source: The Associated Press
                    Sep 5, 2002 15:18

                    ----------

                    HAGERSTOWN, Md. (AP) _ And now, the slaughter at Bloody Lane, brought
                    to you by F&M Bank.

                    Corporate sponsors and 13,000 Civil War buffs will come together next
                    week to re-enact the bloodiest day on U.S. soil, the Battle of
                    Antietam.

                    For the first time at such an event, three of the nearly 40
                    participating companies are exclusive sponsors of specific
                    skirmishes.

                    In addition to the fighting at Bloody Lane, where 5,500 men were
                    killed or wounded, spectators can watch the daybreak clash in the
                    Cornfield, sponsored by Antietam Cable, and the afternoon arrival of
                    Confederate Gen. A.P. Hill's men _ presented through the courtesy of
                    Hagerstown Trust.

                    The sponsors also include the investment bank Salomon Smith Barney,
                    PepsiCo and Allegheny Energy, a Fortune 500 company headquartered
                    near the re-enactment site, 400 privately owned hectares about 110
                    kilometres north of Washington, D.C. 16 kilometres from the real
                    battlefield.

                    Never have so many corporations been part of a Civil War re-
                    enactment, and never so visibly, though their representatives will be
                    stationed in a sponsors' tent near the entrance gate, and logos will
                    not be allowed on the battlefield.

                    Glenn LeBoeuf, Salomon Smith Barney's representative at the Sept. 13-
                    15 event, said it is an opportunity to reach prospective clients he,
                    as a former re-enactor, knows well.

                    During his 13 years playing a private in the 3rd New Jersey Volunteer
                    Infantry, ``I never got a chance to talk about investment portfolios
                    while I was in camp because it was inappropriate to do so,'' LeBoeuf
                    said. He is hopeful the re-enactors won't mind talking business at
                    the corporate tent.

                    His company is paying $1,000 US to have LeBoeuf there.

                    Event organizers say sponsors' dollars and in-kind donations,
                    totalling more than $140,000, will help them stage more realistic
                    clashes and raise more money for battlefield preservation.

                    ``Our corporate sponsors understand the commemorative nature of this
                    event and its solemn and respectful nature,'' said Dennis Frye, co-
                    chairman of the organizing committee.

                    And there is no indication of any resentment on the part of the re-
                    enactors, who are such sticklers for authenticity that some have been
                    known to count the threads on their uniforms to make sure the fabric
                    is historically accurate. Some say the corporate backing is needed to
                    keep down the costs of admission: $10 to $25 for re-enactors, $17 per
                    day for adult spectators.

                    ``It's just another way for them to make money,'' said Don Harrelson,
                    of Virginia Beach, Va., who is president of the American Living
                    History Society and will portray a member of the 3rd Georgia
                    Regiment.

                    George Lomas, an organizer of next summer's 140th re-enactment of the
                    1863 Gettysburg battle _ the turning point in the Civil War _ said
                    his group is lining up big corporate sponsors, too. Milestone
                    anniversaries of key Civil War engagements are ``mega-events,''
                    requiring much more preparation than a typical annual re-enactment,
                    he said.

                    ``It's a lot more expensive, and there's a lot more exposure for the
                    corporate people who want to be sponsors, as well,'' Lomas said.

                    The Antietam event will include four major fight scenarios and 100
                    pieces of artillery with Hollywood-quality pyrotechnics.

                    The sunup-to-sundown battle waged on Sept. 17, 1862, along the banks
                    of Antietam Creek near Sharpsburg, Md., left at least 6,300 soldiers
                    dead and 17,000 more wounded or missing.

                    The marketing opportunities were revealed by the
                    135th-anniversary Antietam re-enactment in 1997, which stunned its
                    promoters by drawing 12,000 re-enactors and more than 70,000
                    spectators over three days _ numbers surpassed only by the 135th
                    Gettysburg anniversary the following July.

                    The last Antietam re-enactment before that, in 1987, attracted just
                    6,000 combatants. During the intervening years, Ken Burns' television
                    documentary The Civil War and the 1993 movie Gettysburg led to a
                    surge in interest in the Civil War.

                    For the re-enactors at Antietam, this year's battle is ``equivalent
                    to the Super Bowl or the Masters tournament,'' said Robert Arch, co-
                    chairman of the event. ``This is basically the top of the line.''

                    INDEX: BUSINESS FINANCE DEFENCE SOCIAL

                    ----------

                    Received Id 801074164 on Sep 05 2002 15:18
                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 6, 2002
                      In a message dated 05/9/02 8:39:29 PM, BritcomHMP@... writes:

                      << Well, when most people say 'Battle of NO' they mean the battle on the 8th
                      not
                      the campaign but personally I prefer 'campaign'. After all that's what it
                      was. >>

                      I've also seen it as, "Siege of New Orleans", but I agree with Tim that
                      "Campaign of" is probably closer to the mark.

                      93rd SHRoFLHU
                      THE Thin Red Line
                      www.93rdhighlanders.com