Re: [WarOf1812] new orleans news

  • Rich Parkinson
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2002
      From: "Larry Lozon"
      > LL: that would be great as it is Super Bowl weekend and rooms are
      > $49587847620.99 USA per person per hour!!!

      New Orleans Superbowl was actually this year so don't fear the hotel rate
      increase. Superbowl XXXVII is January 23, 2003 in San Diego.

      RP
    • easeufe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2002
        kevin.windsor@... writes:

        > Are you planning on comming down Ed? Sounds fun.

        I think its a plot by Benton to get us to play on NPS land!

        Ed Seufert, LCpl
        1812 Royal Marines
        1st Co/2nd Batt RM

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
          From: "ebclemson" <ebclemson@...>

          larry and List,

          " ... I would prefer for the battle to be close as possible as the original.
          War of 1812 events seem to lean toward "Generic" "demonstations"
          instead of taking on the more difficult path to portraying the actual
          battle as close as possible.

          ____________

          Dave

          Having driven from Canada to the New Orleans event three times
          through snow, sleet, ice, well you get the picture ....... !

          I would rather the event be in the summer as then a whack of Canadian
          Brits may attend and change history!! :^)

          Seriously David, I have found that events in good driving weather attract
          more attendance. Notwithstanding those who won't drive more than fifty
          miles to an event anyway.

          Tomorrow is a short one as the drive to Fort Henry
          http://www.parks.on.ca/fort/home.htm
          is a 3 hours, 47 minutes drive with a total distance of 350.71 km.

          Larry Lozon
        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
            Just to reassure some jitters out there.

            The idea IS to do as historically correct battle as possible, however (and I
            am a bit disappointed at having to point this out to the list) the New
            Orleans CAMPAIGN had more than one battle in it! The idea is to try to create
            the night battle of the 23rd December 1814, lots of troop movement and
            confusion with the actual outcome being something of a draw.

            Hopefully lots of fun all round and we will begin to pry the door open for
            2015 when we can do all 4 battles, of course that will entail everyone
            spending Christmas and New Year in New Orleans. Better book now!

          • ebclemson
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
              Tim,

              That is good new that it will be historically correct as possible, exactly what I was hoping for.

              Of course I am fully aware that there were more than one battle.

              What is a more proper term than stating "The Battle of New Orleans" ?

              Would "The New Orleans Campaign" be more proper? I suppose that "the battle of New Orleans" pops out of the mouth a little more easier, though we know there were more than one battle.

              Looking forward to saying Hello again at Mississinewa.

              Sincerely, Dave Bennett 1st US Infy & Missouri Rangers.

            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
                In a message dated 9/5/2002 10:19:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
                ebclemson@... writes:

                > What is a more proper term than stating "The Battle of New Orleans" ?
                >
                > Would "The New Orleans Campaign" be more proper? I suppose that "the
                > battle of New Orleans" pops out of the mouth a little more easier, though
                > we know there were more than one battle.

                Well, when most people say 'Battle of NO' they mean the battle on the 8th not
                the campaign but personally I prefer 'campaign'. After all that's what it was.

              • davebevca
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
                  Tim,

                  We probably use the term "Battle of New Orleans" rather than the"New
                  Orleans campaign" because of the influence of a Mr. Horton who
                  presented a colourful but inaccurate version of events some years ago.
                  It all happened after the war was over so it is acedemic anyway. -:)
                  I am, of course, joking.
                  Dave.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 6, 2002
                    From: "ANDREW S BATEMAN" <abateman@...>

                    Recreations of actual battles are cool, but the fly in the ointment as far
                    as 1812 is concerned is numbers. You know, "1812... 18 on one side,
                    12 on the other!"

                    I must agree with Andrew, as Narrator at battles, I stand with the
                    spectators
                    and some of the historic battles recreations look real dumb! Cavalry
                    engagements
                    with no cavalry, battles that have troops climbing up a hill with musket
                    fire raining
                    down on them being recreated on a flat field, again ..... you get the
                    picture.

                    The other fly in the ointment is distance, a lot won't or can't take the
                    time off
                    work or afford to travel long distances. As I posted earlier, a two day
                    drive down,
                    a two day drive back, three days there, that's seven days and that is not
                    bringing
                    bad winter into the picture. New Orleans is 21 hours, 29 minutes being
                    2018.35 km
                    from my house. This being an hour from Toronto where the majority of the
                    "red
                    coats" are.

                    A suggestion would be to obtain corporate sponsorship, co-ordinate a 'coming
                    out'
                    event and subsidise a tour (something like Waterloo), now you will get a
                    plane
                    load of red coats and a New Orleans Festival will happen. You could even
                    plan
                    this biggie every 5 years ............!

                    I do not want to be a harbinger of doom, with the opposing lines New Orleans
                    surely will grow. But, if the numbers are low, don't try to do the Battle of
                    Waterloo!
                  • badger222ca
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 6, 2002
                      > From: "ANDREW S BATEMAN" <abateman@f...>
                      >

                      > A suggestion would be to obtain corporate sponsorship

                      Here's how the ACW boys do it.
                      T.Avery

                      Ready, aim, sell: Corporate sponsors enlisted for Civil War event
                      (Corporate-Re-Enactmen)
                      Source: The Associated Press
                      Sep 5, 2002 15:18

                      ----------

                      HAGERSTOWN, Md. (AP) _ And now, the slaughter at Bloody Lane, brought
                      to you by F&M Bank.

                      Corporate sponsors and 13,000 Civil War buffs will come together next
                      week to re-enact the bloodiest day on U.S. soil, the Battle of
                      Antietam.

                      For the first time at such an event, three of the nearly 40
                      participating companies are exclusive sponsors of specific
                      skirmishes.

                      In addition to the fighting at Bloody Lane, where 5,500 men were
                      killed or wounded, spectators can watch the daybreak clash in the
                      Cornfield, sponsored by Antietam Cable, and the afternoon arrival of
                      Confederate Gen. A.P. Hill's men _ presented through the courtesy of
                      Hagerstown Trust.

                      The sponsors also include the investment bank Salomon Smith Barney,
                      PepsiCo and Allegheny Energy, a Fortune 500 company headquartered
                      near the re-enactment site, 400 privately owned hectares about 110
                      kilometres north of Washington, D.C. 16 kilometres from the real
                      battlefield.

                      Never have so many corporations been part of a Civil War re-
                      enactment, and never so visibly, though their representatives will be
                      stationed in a sponsors' tent near the entrance gate, and logos will
                      not be allowed on the battlefield.

                      Glenn LeBoeuf, Salomon Smith Barney's representative at the Sept. 13-
                      15 event, said it is an opportunity to reach prospective clients he,
                      as a former re-enactor, knows well.

                      During his 13 years playing a private in the 3rd New Jersey Volunteer
                      Infantry, ``I never got a chance to talk about investment portfolios
                      while I was in camp because it was inappropriate to do so,'' LeBoeuf
                      said. He is hopeful the re-enactors won't mind talking business at
                      the corporate tent.

                      His company is paying $1,000 US to have LeBoeuf there.

                      Event organizers say sponsors' dollars and in-kind donations,
                      totalling more than $140,000, will help them stage more realistic
                      clashes and raise more money for battlefield preservation.

                      ``Our corporate sponsors understand the commemorative nature of this
                      event and its solemn and respectful nature,'' said Dennis Frye, co-
                      chairman of the organizing committee.

                      And there is no indication of any resentment on the part of the re-
                      enactors, who are such sticklers for authenticity that some have been
                      known to count the threads on their uniforms to make sure the fabric
                      is historically accurate. Some say the corporate backing is needed to
                      keep down the costs of admission: $10 to $25 for re-enactors, $17 per
                      day for adult spectators.

                      ``It's just another way for them to make money,'' said Don Harrelson,
                      of Virginia Beach, Va., who is president of the American Living
                      History Society and will portray a member of the 3rd Georgia
                      Regiment.

                      George Lomas, an organizer of next summer's 140th re-enactment of the
                      1863 Gettysburg battle _ the turning point in the Civil War _ said
                      his group is lining up big corporate sponsors, too. Milestone
                      anniversaries of key Civil War engagements are ``mega-events,''
                      requiring much more preparation than a typical annual re-enactment,
                      he said.

                      ``It's a lot more expensive, and there's a lot more exposure for the
                      corporate people who want to be sponsors, as well,'' Lomas said.

                      The Antietam event will include four major fight scenarios and 100
                      pieces of artillery with Hollywood-quality pyrotechnics.

                      The sunup-to-sundown battle waged on Sept. 17, 1862, along the banks
                      of Antietam Creek near Sharpsburg, Md., left at least 6,300 soldiers
                      dead and 17,000 more wounded or missing.

                      The marketing opportunities were revealed by the
                      135th-anniversary Antietam re-enactment in 1997, which stunned its
                      promoters by drawing 12,000 re-enactors and more than 70,000
                      spectators over three days _ numbers surpassed only by the 135th
                      Gettysburg anniversary the following July.

                      The last Antietam re-enactment before that, in 1987, attracted just
                      6,000 combatants. During the intervening years, Ken Burns' television
                      documentary The Civil War and the 1993 movie Gettysburg led to a
                      surge in interest in the Civil War.

                      For the re-enactors at Antietam, this year's battle is ``equivalent
                      to the Super Bowl or the Masters tournament,'' said Robert Arch, co-
                      chairman of the event. ``This is basically the top of the line.''

                      INDEX: BUSINESS FINANCE DEFENCE SOCIAL

                      ----------

                      Received Id 801074164 on Sep 05 2002 15:18
                    • HQ93rd@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 6, 2002
                        In a message dated 05/9/02 8:39:29 PM, BritcomHMP@... writes:

                        << Well, when most people say 'Battle of NO' they mean the battle on the 8th
                        not
                        the campaign but personally I prefer 'campaign'. After all that's what it
                        was. >>

                        I've also seen it as, "Siege of New Orleans", but I agree with Tim that
                        "Campaign of" is probably closer to the mark.

                        93rd SHRoFLHU
                        THE Thin Red Line
                        www.93rdhighlanders.com