new orleans news

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2002
      From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>

      What might make it even sweeter is for tents or other accommodations
      for those of us that may be flying down.

      LL: that would be great as it is Super Bowl weekend and rooms are
      $49587847620.99 USA per person per hour!!!

      From: "Kevin Windsor"

      Roger's not on the list, but Ed is.

      LL: watch it Kev, you can't trust a Rifleman as he is a sniper
      and could just be on this list !!?? wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
    • Rich Parkinson
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2002
        From: "Larry Lozon"
        > LL: that would be great as it is Super Bowl weekend and rooms are
        > $49587847620.99 USA per person per hour!!!

        New Orleans Superbowl was actually this year so don't fear the hotel rate
        increase. Superbowl XXXVII is January 23, 2003 in San Diego.

        RP
      • easeufe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2002
          kevin.windsor@... writes:

          > Are you planning on comming down Ed? Sounds fun.

          I think its a plot by Benton to get us to play on NPS land!

          Ed Seufert, LCpl
          1812 Royal Marines
          1st Co/2nd Batt RM

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
            From: "ebclemson" <ebclemson@...>

            larry and List,

            " ... I would prefer for the battle to be close as possible as the original.
            War of 1812 events seem to lean toward "Generic" "demonstations"
            instead of taking on the more difficult path to portraying the actual
            battle as close as possible.

            ____________

            Dave

            Having driven from Canada to the New Orleans event three times
            through snow, sleet, ice, well you get the picture ....... !

            I would rather the event be in the summer as then a whack of Canadian
            Brits may attend and change history!! :^)

            Seriously David, I have found that events in good driving weather attract
            more attendance. Notwithstanding those who won't drive more than fifty
            miles to an event anyway.

            Tomorrow is a short one as the drive to Fort Henry
            http://www.parks.on.ca/fort/home.htm
            is a 3 hours, 47 minutes drive with a total distance of 350.71 km.

            Larry Lozon
          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
              Just to reassure some jitters out there.

              The idea IS to do as historically correct battle as possible, however (and I
              am a bit disappointed at having to point this out to the list) the New
              Orleans CAMPAIGN had more than one battle in it! The idea is to try to create
              the night battle of the 23rd December 1814, lots of troop movement and
              confusion with the actual outcome being something of a draw.

              Hopefully lots of fun all round and we will begin to pry the door open for
              2015 when we can do all 4 battles, of course that will entail everyone
              spending Christmas and New Year in New Orleans. Better book now!

            • ebclemson
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
                Tim,

                That is good new that it will be historically correct as possible, exactly what I was hoping for.

                Of course I am fully aware that there were more than one battle.

                What is a more proper term than stating "The Battle of New Orleans" ?

                Would "The New Orleans Campaign" be more proper? I suppose that "the battle of New Orleans" pops out of the mouth a little more easier, though we know there were more than one battle.

                Looking forward to saying Hello again at Mississinewa.

                Sincerely, Dave Bennett 1st US Infy & Missouri Rangers.

              • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
                  In a message dated 9/5/2002 10:19:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  ebclemson@... writes:

                  > What is a more proper term than stating "The Battle of New Orleans" ?
                  >
                  > Would "The New Orleans Campaign" be more proper? I suppose that "the
                  > battle of New Orleans" pops out of the mouth a little more easier, though
                  > we know there were more than one battle.

                  Well, when most people say 'Battle of NO' they mean the battle on the 8th not
                  the campaign but personally I prefer 'campaign'. After all that's what it was.

                • davebevca
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
                    Tim,

                    We probably use the term "Battle of New Orleans" rather than the"New
                    Orleans campaign" because of the influence of a Mr. Horton who
                    presented a colourful but inaccurate version of events some years ago.
                    It all happened after the war was over so it is acedemic anyway. -:)
                    I am, of course, joking.
                    Dave.
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 6, 2002
                      From: "ANDREW S BATEMAN" <abateman@...>

                      Recreations of actual battles are cool, but the fly in the ointment as far
                      as 1812 is concerned is numbers. You know, "1812... 18 on one side,
                      12 on the other!"

                      I must agree with Andrew, as Narrator at battles, I stand with the
                      spectators
                      and some of the historic battles recreations look real dumb! Cavalry
                      engagements
                      with no cavalry, battles that have troops climbing up a hill with musket
                      fire raining
                      down on them being recreated on a flat field, again ..... you get the
                      picture.

                      The other fly in the ointment is distance, a lot won't or can't take the
                      time off
                      work or afford to travel long distances. As I posted earlier, a two day
                      drive down,
                      a two day drive back, three days there, that's seven days and that is not
                      bringing
                      bad winter into the picture. New Orleans is 21 hours, 29 minutes being
                      2018.35 km
                      from my house. This being an hour from Toronto where the majority of the
                      "red
                      coats" are.

                      A suggestion would be to obtain corporate sponsorship, co-ordinate a 'coming
                      out'
                      event and subsidise a tour (something like Waterloo), now you will get a
                      plane
                      load of red coats and a New Orleans Festival will happen. You could even
                      plan
                      this biggie every 5 years ............!

                      I do not want to be a harbinger of doom, with the opposing lines New Orleans
                      surely will grow. But, if the numbers are low, don't try to do the Battle of
                      Waterloo!
                    • badger222ca
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 6, 2002
                        > From: "ANDREW S BATEMAN" <abateman@f...>
                        >

                        > A suggestion would be to obtain corporate sponsorship

                        Here's how the ACW boys do it.
                        T.Avery

                        Ready, aim, sell: Corporate sponsors enlisted for Civil War event
                        (Corporate-Re-Enactmen)
                        Source: The Associated Press
                        Sep 5, 2002 15:18

                        ----------

                        HAGERSTOWN, Md. (AP) _ And now, the slaughter at Bloody Lane, brought
                        to you by F&M Bank.

                        Corporate sponsors and 13,000 Civil War buffs will come together next
                        week to re-enact the bloodiest day on U.S. soil, the Battle of
                        Antietam.

                        For the first time at such an event, three of the nearly 40
                        participating companies are exclusive sponsors of specific
                        skirmishes.

                        In addition to the fighting at Bloody Lane, where 5,500 men were
                        killed or wounded, spectators can watch the daybreak clash in the
                        Cornfield, sponsored by Antietam Cable, and the afternoon arrival of
                        Confederate Gen. A.P. Hill's men _ presented through the courtesy of
                        Hagerstown Trust.

                        The sponsors also include the investment bank Salomon Smith Barney,
                        PepsiCo and Allegheny Energy, a Fortune 500 company headquartered
                        near the re-enactment site, 400 privately owned hectares about 110
                        kilometres north of Washington, D.C. 16 kilometres from the real
                        battlefield.

                        Never have so many corporations been part of a Civil War re-
                        enactment, and never so visibly, though their representatives will be
                        stationed in a sponsors' tent near the entrance gate, and logos will
                        not be allowed on the battlefield.

                        Glenn LeBoeuf, Salomon Smith Barney's representative at the Sept. 13-
                        15 event, said it is an opportunity to reach prospective clients he,
                        as a former re-enactor, knows well.

                        During his 13 years playing a private in the 3rd New Jersey Volunteer
                        Infantry, ``I never got a chance to talk about investment portfolios
                        while I was in camp because it was inappropriate to do so,'' LeBoeuf
                        said. He is hopeful the re-enactors won't mind talking business at
                        the corporate tent.

                        His company is paying $1,000 US to have LeBoeuf there.

                        Event organizers say sponsors' dollars and in-kind donations,
                        totalling more than $140,000, will help them stage more realistic
                        clashes and raise more money for battlefield preservation.

                        ``Our corporate sponsors understand the commemorative nature of this
                        event and its solemn and respectful nature,'' said Dennis Frye, co-
                        chairman of the organizing committee.

                        And there is no indication of any resentment on the part of the re-
                        enactors, who are such sticklers for authenticity that some have been
                        known to count the threads on their uniforms to make sure the fabric
                        is historically accurate. Some say the corporate backing is needed to
                        keep down the costs of admission: $10 to $25 for re-enactors, $17 per
                        day for adult spectators.

                        ``It's just another way for them to make money,'' said Don Harrelson,
                        of Virginia Beach, Va., who is president of the American Living
                        History Society and will portray a member of the 3rd Georgia
                        Regiment.

                        George Lomas, an organizer of next summer's 140th re-enactment of the
                        1863 Gettysburg battle _ the turning point in the Civil War _ said
                        his group is lining up big corporate sponsors, too. Milestone
                        anniversaries of key Civil War engagements are ``mega-events,''
                        requiring much more preparation than a typical annual re-enactment,
                        he said.

                        ``It's a lot more expensive, and there's a lot more exposure for the
                        corporate people who want to be sponsors, as well,'' Lomas said.

                        The Antietam event will include four major fight scenarios and 100
                        pieces of artillery with Hollywood-quality pyrotechnics.

                        The sunup-to-sundown battle waged on Sept. 17, 1862, along the banks
                        of Antietam Creek near Sharpsburg, Md., left at least 6,300 soldiers
                        dead and 17,000 more wounded or missing.

                        The marketing opportunities were revealed by the
                        135th-anniversary Antietam re-enactment in 1997, which stunned its
                        promoters by drawing 12,000 re-enactors and more than 70,000
                        spectators over three days _ numbers surpassed only by the 135th
                        Gettysburg anniversary the following July.

                        The last Antietam re-enactment before that, in 1987, attracted just
                        6,000 combatants. During the intervening years, Ken Burns' television
                        documentary The Civil War and the 1993 movie Gettysburg led to a
                        surge in interest in the Civil War.

                        For the re-enactors at Antietam, this year's battle is ``equivalent
                        to the Super Bowl or the Masters tournament,'' said Robert Arch, co-
                        chairman of the event. ``This is basically the top of the line.''

                        INDEX: BUSINESS FINANCE DEFENCE SOCIAL

                        ----------

                        Received Id 801074164 on Sep 05 2002 15:18
                      • HQ93rd@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 6, 2002
                          In a message dated 05/9/02 8:39:29 PM, BritcomHMP@... writes:

                          << Well, when most people say 'Battle of NO' they mean the battle on the 8th
                          not
                          the campaign but personally I prefer 'campaign'. After all that's what it
                          was. >>

                          I've also seen it as, "Siege of New Orleans", but I agree with Tim that
                          "Campaign of" is probably closer to the mark.

                          93rd SHRoFLHU
                          THE Thin Red Line
                          www.93rdhighlanders.com