new orleans news

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2002
      From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>

      "I would really like to go down to New Orleans

      ------------------------

      So Kev,
      do you think this will get more Canucks or
      'Kosher Canucks' like Rifleman Fuller or Sgt Seufert
      to go to Nawlins as well this year?!?
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2002
        The idea of bounty or powder brings in people, and I think it would fly. What might make it even sweeter is for tents or other accommodations for those of us that may be
        flying down. Perhaps even a site person to meet us at the airport?
        Roger's not on the list, but Ed is. Are you planning on comming down Ed? Sounds fun......as long as no one breaks out into Johnny Horton tunes!

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2002
          From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>

          What might make it even sweeter is for tents or other accommodations
          for those of us that may be flying down.

          LL: that would be great as it is Super Bowl weekend and rooms are
          $49587847620.99 USA per person per hour!!!

          From: "Kevin Windsor"

          Roger's not on the list, but Ed is.

          LL: watch it Kev, you can't trust a Rifleman as he is a sniper
          and could just be on this list !!?? wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
        • Rich Parkinson
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2002
            From: "Larry Lozon"
            > LL: that would be great as it is Super Bowl weekend and rooms are
            > $49587847620.99 USA per person per hour!!!

            New Orleans Superbowl was actually this year so don't fear the hotel rate
            increase. Superbowl XXXVII is January 23, 2003 in San Diego.

            RP
          • easeufe@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2002
              kevin.windsor@... writes:

              > Are you planning on comming down Ed? Sounds fun.

              I think its a plot by Benton to get us to play on NPS land!

              Ed Seufert, LCpl
              1812 Royal Marines
              1st Co/2nd Batt RM

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
                From: "ebclemson" <ebclemson@...>

                larry and List,

                " ... I would prefer for the battle to be close as possible as the original.
                War of 1812 events seem to lean toward "Generic" "demonstations"
                instead of taking on the more difficult path to portraying the actual
                battle as close as possible.

                ____________

                Dave

                Having driven from Canada to the New Orleans event three times
                through snow, sleet, ice, well you get the picture ....... !

                I would rather the event be in the summer as then a whack of Canadian
                Brits may attend and change history!! :^)

                Seriously David, I have found that events in good driving weather attract
                more attendance. Notwithstanding those who won't drive more than fifty
                miles to an event anyway.

                Tomorrow is a short one as the drive to Fort Henry
                http://www.parks.on.ca/fort/home.htm
                is a 3 hours, 47 minutes drive with a total distance of 350.71 km.

                Larry Lozon
              • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
                  Just to reassure some jitters out there.

                  The idea IS to do as historically correct battle as possible, however (and I
                  am a bit disappointed at having to point this out to the list) the New
                  Orleans CAMPAIGN had more than one battle in it! The idea is to try to create
                  the night battle of the 23rd December 1814, lots of troop movement and
                  confusion with the actual outcome being something of a draw.

                  Hopefully lots of fun all round and we will begin to pry the door open for
                  2015 when we can do all 4 battles, of course that will entail everyone
                  spending Christmas and New Year in New Orleans. Better book now!

                • ebclemson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
                    Tim,

                    That is good new that it will be historically correct as possible, exactly what I was hoping for.

                    Of course I am fully aware that there were more than one battle.

                    What is a more proper term than stating "The Battle of New Orleans" ?

                    Would "The New Orleans Campaign" be more proper? I suppose that "the battle of New Orleans" pops out of the mouth a little more easier, though we know there were more than one battle.

                    Looking forward to saying Hello again at Mississinewa.

                    Sincerely, Dave Bennett 1st US Infy & Missouri Rangers.

                  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
                      In a message dated 9/5/2002 10:19:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
                      ebclemson@... writes:

                      > What is a more proper term than stating "The Battle of New Orleans" ?
                      >
                      > Would "The New Orleans Campaign" be more proper? I suppose that "the
                      > battle of New Orleans" pops out of the mouth a little more easier, though
                      > we know there were more than one battle.

                      Well, when most people say 'Battle of NO' they mean the battle on the 8th not
                      the campaign but personally I prefer 'campaign'. After all that's what it was.

                    • davebevca
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
                        Tim,

                        We probably use the term "Battle of New Orleans" rather than the"New
                        Orleans campaign" because of the influence of a Mr. Horton who
                        presented a colourful but inaccurate version of events some years ago.
                        It all happened after the war was over so it is acedemic anyway. -:)
                        I am, of course, joking.
                        Dave.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 6, 2002
                          From: "ANDREW S BATEMAN" <abateman@...>

                          Recreations of actual battles are cool, but the fly in the ointment as far
                          as 1812 is concerned is numbers. You know, "1812... 18 on one side,
                          12 on the other!"

                          I must agree with Andrew, as Narrator at battles, I stand with the
                          spectators
                          and some of the historic battles recreations look real dumb! Cavalry
                          engagements
                          with no cavalry, battles that have troops climbing up a hill with musket
                          fire raining
                          down on them being recreated on a flat field, again ..... you get the
                          picture.

                          The other fly in the ointment is distance, a lot won't or can't take the
                          time off
                          work or afford to travel long distances. As I posted earlier, a two day
                          drive down,
                          a two day drive back, three days there, that's seven days and that is not
                          bringing
                          bad winter into the picture. New Orleans is 21 hours, 29 minutes being
                          2018.35 km
                          from my house. This being an hour from Toronto where the majority of the
                          "red
                          coats" are.

                          A suggestion would be to obtain corporate sponsorship, co-ordinate a 'coming
                          out'
                          event and subsidise a tour (something like Waterloo), now you will get a
                          plane
                          load of red coats and a New Orleans Festival will happen. You could even
                          plan
                          this biggie every 5 years ............!

                          I do not want to be a harbinger of doom, with the opposing lines New Orleans
                          surely will grow. But, if the numbers are low, don't try to do the Battle of
                          Waterloo!
                        • badger222ca
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 6, 2002
                            > From: "ANDREW S BATEMAN" <abateman@f...>
                            >

                            > A suggestion would be to obtain corporate sponsorship

                            Here's how the ACW boys do it.
                            T.Avery

                            Ready, aim, sell: Corporate sponsors enlisted for Civil War event
                            (Corporate-Re-Enactmen)
                            Source: The Associated Press
                            Sep 5, 2002 15:18

                            ----------

                            HAGERSTOWN, Md. (AP) _ And now, the slaughter at Bloody Lane, brought
                            to you by F&M Bank.

                            Corporate sponsors and 13,000 Civil War buffs will come together next
                            week to re-enact the bloodiest day on U.S. soil, the Battle of
                            Antietam.

                            For the first time at such an event, three of the nearly 40
                            participating companies are exclusive sponsors of specific
                            skirmishes.

                            In addition to the fighting at Bloody Lane, where 5,500 men were
                            killed or wounded, spectators can watch the daybreak clash in the
                            Cornfield, sponsored by Antietam Cable, and the afternoon arrival of
                            Confederate Gen. A.P. Hill's men _ presented through the courtesy of
                            Hagerstown Trust.

                            The sponsors also include the investment bank Salomon Smith Barney,
                            PepsiCo and Allegheny Energy, a Fortune 500 company headquartered
                            near the re-enactment site, 400 privately owned hectares about 110
                            kilometres north of Washington, D.C. 16 kilometres from the real
                            battlefield.

                            Never have so many corporations been part of a Civil War re-
                            enactment, and never so visibly, though their representatives will be
                            stationed in a sponsors' tent near the entrance gate, and logos will
                            not be allowed on the battlefield.

                            Glenn LeBoeuf, Salomon Smith Barney's representative at the Sept. 13-
                            15 event, said it is an opportunity to reach prospective clients he,
                            as a former re-enactor, knows well.

                            During his 13 years playing a private in the 3rd New Jersey Volunteer
                            Infantry, ``I never got a chance to talk about investment portfolios
                            while I was in camp because it was inappropriate to do so,'' LeBoeuf
                            said. He is hopeful the re-enactors won't mind talking business at
                            the corporate tent.

                            His company is paying $1,000 US to have LeBoeuf there.

                            Event organizers say sponsors' dollars and in-kind donations,
                            totalling more than $140,000, will help them stage more realistic
                            clashes and raise more money for battlefield preservation.

                            ``Our corporate sponsors understand the commemorative nature of this
                            event and its solemn and respectful nature,'' said Dennis Frye, co-
                            chairman of the organizing committee.

                            And there is no indication of any resentment on the part of the re-
                            enactors, who are such sticklers for authenticity that some have been
                            known to count the threads on their uniforms to make sure the fabric
                            is historically accurate. Some say the corporate backing is needed to
                            keep down the costs of admission: $10 to $25 for re-enactors, $17 per
                            day for adult spectators.

                            ``It's just another way for them to make money,'' said Don Harrelson,
                            of Virginia Beach, Va., who is president of the American Living
                            History Society and will portray a member of the 3rd Georgia
                            Regiment.

                            George Lomas, an organizer of next summer's 140th re-enactment of the
                            1863 Gettysburg battle _ the turning point in the Civil War _ said
                            his group is lining up big corporate sponsors, too. Milestone
                            anniversaries of key Civil War engagements are ``mega-events,''
                            requiring much more preparation than a typical annual re-enactment,
                            he said.

                            ``It's a lot more expensive, and there's a lot more exposure for the
                            corporate people who want to be sponsors, as well,'' Lomas said.

                            The Antietam event will include four major fight scenarios and 100
                            pieces of artillery with Hollywood-quality pyrotechnics.

                            The sunup-to-sundown battle waged on Sept. 17, 1862, along the banks
                            of Antietam Creek near Sharpsburg, Md., left at least 6,300 soldiers
                            dead and 17,000 more wounded or missing.

                            The marketing opportunities were revealed by the
                            135th-anniversary Antietam re-enactment in 1997, which stunned its
                            promoters by drawing 12,000 re-enactors and more than 70,000
                            spectators over three days _ numbers surpassed only by the 135th
                            Gettysburg anniversary the following July.

                            The last Antietam re-enactment before that, in 1987, attracted just
                            6,000 combatants. During the intervening years, Ken Burns' television
                            documentary The Civil War and the 1993 movie Gettysburg led to a
                            surge in interest in the Civil War.

                            For the re-enactors at Antietam, this year's battle is ``equivalent
                            to the Super Bowl or the Masters tournament,'' said Robert Arch, co-
                            chairman of the event. ``This is basically the top of the line.''

                            INDEX: BUSINESS FINANCE DEFENCE SOCIAL

                            ----------

                            Received Id 801074164 on Sep 05 2002 15:18
                          • HQ93rd@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 6, 2002
                              In a message dated 05/9/02 8:39:29 PM, BritcomHMP@... writes:

                              << Well, when most people say 'Battle of NO' they mean the battle on the 8th
                              not
                              the campaign but personally I prefer 'campaign'. After all that's what it
                              was. >>

                              I've also seen it as, "Siege of New Orleans", but I agree with Tim that
                              "Campaign of" is probably closer to the mark.

                              93rd SHRoFLHU
                              THE Thin Red Line
                              www.93rdhighlanders.com