Fw: new orleans news

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 4, 2002
      1812's

      Very interesting news has been reieved from
      NINETY3RD@...
      _____________________________

      This just in from 93rd member Kendall Lamar in New Orleans-----

      I had a conversation with a guy named Travis Senne just last night. I doubt
      you recognize his name, but he is one of the New Orleans-area reenactors
      with Plauche's Batallion, and is one of the guys responsible for their
      uniform and kit construction, most of which they have done by hand with
      minimal outside sourcing. He's the guy who showed up to our camp at
      Chalmette on occasion dressed as a member of the King's Own.

      He relayed to me how at the recent volunteer meeting at Chalmette Park
      (which I was unable to attend) more discussion was held regarding the
      possibility of a battle reenactment during the next New Orleans Anniversary
      at a site near the battlefield. It's gone beyond mere discussion, really,
      and is now apparently "in the works". The Parish and City have responded
      with excitement to the proposal and have agreed to allow use of Torres Park
      (which is adjacent to the staging area from which the shuttle buses load
      and unload visitors). They will provide security and handle logistics, plus
      they have offered to supply powder for all participants (and possibly
      bounties for units or artillery). The plan is that, during the midday hours
      on Saturday (between tourist-laden paddlewheeler visits) participants will
      march from the Battlefield to Torres Park (approx. 1 mile) and then hold
      the battle. I'm assuming that no visitor shuttles will be sent to the Park
      during this time, until participants have returned to camp. I'm also
      assuming that for any reenactors who wish not to make the march, shuttles
      will be available for transport.

      A main concern of everyone, of course, is the possible lack of a sizeable
      British force. They'd hate for it to be grossly misproportioned. (The
      planned reenactment will probably be a scripted demonstration of period
      warfare, NOT a recreation of the morning of January 8th, mainly to allow
      more opportunities for manuevering on both sides. THEY don't want to stand
      in a ditch and shoot over a dirt parapet, WE presumably don't want to march
      forward and bite it without firing some volleys).

      Battle of New Orleans Jan 10-12, 2003

      ________ FIN _______
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 4, 2002
        I was actually just saying to the wife: "I would really like to go down to New Orleans one year for their event"
        This is sweetening the pot!!
        (which by the way the Canadian Senate wants to make legal they announced today)

        Larry Lozon wrote:

        > He relayed to me how at the recent volunteer meeting at Chalmette Park
        > (which I was unable to attend) more discussion was held regarding the
        > possibility of a battle reenactment during the next New Orleans Anniversary
        > at a site near the battlefield. It's gone beyond mere discussion, really,
        > and is now apparently "in the works".
      • ebclemson
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 5, 2002
          larry and List,

          Personally, I would prefer for the battle to be close as possible as the original. War of 1812 events seem to lean toward "Generic" "demonstations" instead of taking on the more difficult path to portraying the actual battle as close as possible.

          For Myself and my unit, this would also mean obtaining a late war uniform as well as our early war uniform.

          American Civil War has for the most part, out grown the "demonstration" stage. I'm curious as to why War of 1812 has not attempted more actual battle recreations ?

          I can not imagine attending a "New Orleans Battle Reenactment" and we have a "demonstration" and since it is Sunday the British win.

          Sincerely,
          Dave Bennett 1st Infy. & Mo. Rangers

          > 1812's
          >
          > Very interesting news has been reieved from
          > NINETY3RD@a...
          > _____________________________
          >

          > This just in from 93rd member Kendall Lamar in New Orleans-----
          >
          > I had a conversation with a guy named Travis Senne just last night. I doubt
          > you recognize his name, but he is one of the New Orleans-area reenactors
          > with Plauche's Batallion, and is one of the guys responsible for their
          > uniform and kit construction, most of which they have done by hand with
          > minimal outside sourcing. He's the guy who showed up to our camp at
          > Chalmette on occasion dressed as a member of the King's Own.
          >
          > He relayed to me how at the recent volunteer meeting at Chalmette Park
          > (which I was unable to attend) more discussion was held regarding the
          > possibility of a battle reenactment during the next New Orleans Anniversary
          > at a site near the battlefield. It's gone beyond mere discussion, really,
          > and is now apparently "in the works". The Parish and City have responded
          > with excitement to the proposal and have agreed to allow use of Torres Park
          > (which is adjacent to the staging area from which the shuttle buses load
          > and unload visitors). They will provide security and handle logistics, plus
          > they have offered to supply powder for all participants (and possibly
          > bounties for units or artillery). The plan is that, during the midday hours
          > on Saturday (between tourist-laden paddlewheeler visits) participants will
          > march from the Battlefield to Torres Park (approx. 1 mile) and then hold
          > the battle. I'm assuming that no visitor shuttles will be sent to the Park
          > during this time, until participants have returned to camp. I'm also
          > assuming that for any reenactors who wish not to make the march, shuttles
          > will be available for transport.
          >
          > A main concern of everyone, of course, is the possible lack of a sizeable
          > British force. They'd hate for it to be grossly misproportioned. (The
          > planned reenactment will probably be a scripted demonstration of period
          > warfare, NOT a recreation of the morning of January 8th, mainly to allow
          > more opportunities for manuevering on both sides. THEY don't want to stand
          > in a ditch and shoot over a dirt parapet, WE presumably don't want to march
          > forward and bite it without firing some volleys).
          >
          > Battle of New Orleans Jan 10-12, 2003
          >
          > ________ FIN _______
        • PEGGY MATHEWS
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 5, 2002
            (snip)
            >American Civil War has for the most part, out grown the "demonstration" stage. I'm >curious as to why War of 1812 has not attempted more actual battle recreations ?

            I think it depends on where you are the theme of the event. At Crysler's Farm (one of the few events I've gotten to do this year) we did a fantasy battle, followed by Lundy's Lane and Crysler's Farm, complete with the maneuvers practiced and result (more or less). My experience is that events south of the border, and I'm a USAian, are more prone towards "taking turns."

            >I can not imagine attending a "New Orleans Battle Reenactment" and we have a >"demonstration" and since it is Sunday the British win.
            (snip)

            Yes, I can look back on one year at an F&I event in IL and smile. We French were horribly outnumbered that weekend, so graciously agreed to loose both days rather than create a stupid scenario. Yet the next year with the roles were surprisingly reversed, the British insisted on winning, yep, on Sunday.

            Michael

          • ANDREW S BATEMAN
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 5, 2002
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 6, 2002
                Another problem is what to do with units that were not there. If the 41st were not at a battle (although few) should you guys sit and watch? I don't think so!

              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 6, 2002
                  In a message dated 06/9/02 5:15:27 PM, kevin.windsor@... writes:

                  << Another problem is what to do with units that were not there. If the 41st
                  were not at a battle (although few) should you guys sit and watch? I don't
                  think so! >>

                  There is that, but depending on one's anality (is that a word? Well, it is
                  now!) about such things, unless one gets up close and reads belt plates and
                  buttons on most uniforms (Brit, anyways) one can't really tell too well.
                  -----OK, so us Highlanders are easy to spot and stick out like a sore thumb
                  at places no Highlanders saw. Hey -- Get one of those corporate sponsors to
                  help us all buy shakos and we can "mesh" like the rest!
                  ;-)
                  That's a smiley wink up there.

                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                  THE Thin Red Line
                  www.93rdhighlanders.com
                • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 6, 2002
                    Hi Maj. B,

                    Shakos are nice, but the skirt, OPPPPS, the kilt will still leave you
                    looking special!
                    ;>)

                    Bob Dorian
                    US Engineer
                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 7, 2002
                      In a message dated 06/9/02 10:39:17 PM, dancingbobd@... writes:

                      << Hi Maj. B,

                      Shakos are nice, but the skirt, OPPPPS, the kilt will still leave you
                      looking special!
                      ;>)

                      Bob Dorian
                      US Engineer

                      Anyone can make pants....
                      :-)

                      93rd SHRoFLHU
                      THE Thin Red Line
                      www.93rdhighlanders.com
                    • charlespk66
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 7, 2002
                        Greetings all,
                        I've been following the postings about the January New Orleans event
                        and thought I'd throw my two cents. After surviving several NPS
                        planning meetings as president of the Chalmette Living History
                        Volunteers, I've managed to stir things up a little bit.

                        Some specifics you all may be interested in.

                        -We're trying to work with the National Park's schedule so that a
                        reenactment adds to rather than takes away from the commemoration
                        held there each year.

                        -We're planning to hold the reenactment at 1pm on Saturday, January
                        11, 2003 at Torres Park in Chalmette, LA. Even though it's early in
                        the afternoon, the idea is to recreate the night battle of December
                        23, 1814. It may include about a one mile march to the site. One
                        possibility is that the British forces will be shuttled over before
                        hand to take over the Villere plantation while the US forces "march
                        from the city" to attack. We plan to have a script to issue to units
                        ahead of time. We also plan to have a sound system and narrator.

                        -Due to NPS policy on reenactments, the NPS will not play a role in
                        planning or supporting the reenactment, but they have said that
                        they're glad to see one getting organized as it will draw more
                        reenactors to their event.

                        -No plans for off site period camping sites are being considered.
                        Period camping space is available at the battlefield. Local hotels
                        are another option. Also, we should be able to accomodate requests
                        for tent space and airport pick up. If you let me know ASAP, then we
                        can be prepared.

                        -"Da Parish" will provide support for the reenactment. They've
                        offered the use of a park which would have been on the far end of the
                        original battlefield. They've offered to provide a liability policy.
                        They've offered a meal to the participants. They've offered to
                        provide powder. They may provide a budget for ground charges. They
                        haven't offered unit bounties. They will allow concession stands and
                        sutlers to set up at the site of the reenactment. If they see that
                        this can draw a crowd, they've expressed interest in building a
                        rampart and purchasing artillery at the site for future use if that's
                        what we want.

                        -Anyone camping at the battlefield is not supposed to have any black
                        powder with them. Rather than issue cans of powder, local volunteers
                        will try to pre roll cartidges that will be issued at the reenactment
                        site. These will have to be used up there before returning to the NPS
                        site.

                        -Usual saftey rules will be enforced. Therefore, last minute walk ons
                        can't be allowed. Drill and weapon inspections will be held for all
                        participants at the NPS site as part of the usual demonstrations
                        taking place there. We hope to rely on unit commanders to help with
                        this.

                        I hope this answers some of your questions and that many of you are
                        able to make it down. If you have other questions, email me at:
                        cpecquet@...

                        Sincerely,
                        Charles Pecquet
                        Chef du bataillon d'Orleans
                      • klamar93rd
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 7, 2002
                          Hello to all-

                          Many thanks to Charles Pecquet for posting that update. And
                          THREE CHEERS for his leadership and determination in finally
                          making a battle reenactment at New Orleans a reality!

                          Inital news of this event on the War of 1812 YahooGroup arrived
                          with an email of mine which had been forwarded to this
                          ListServe ... Though well-intended and meant primarily to spark
                          some interest in the Living History community, my email
                          included some false information, particulary in regards to
                          specific plans for a scripted battle reenactment and the
                          involvement of local government. My apologies for any
                          miscommunication that my "Jumping the gun" might have
                          caused.

                          Fortunately I was able to meet Saturday with Charles and other
                          entusiastic members of Plauche's Batallion to gather
                          information and discuss plans for January. The current plan to
                          reenact the Night Battle of 23 December 1814 is a brilliant
                          proposal which offers many opportunities for members of both
                          sides of the conflict. Hopefully, supplementing a battle to the
                          existing NPS Living History encampment will act as an incentive
                          to draw more participants AND visitors to an event which
                          commemorates one of the most pivotal moments of US history.

                          As the ONLY enthusiast in New Orleans currently portraying a
                          Redcoat, I wholeheartedly encourage any and all War of 1812
                          reenactors to join us in January. ESPECIALLY British units! Brit
                          participation at the New Orleans anniversary is traditionally
                          limited. Your presence here would be highly appreciated. Not to
                          mention, a great time is always had by those who make the
                          journey!

                          I am committed to assisting my friends of the Bataillon d'Orleans
                          with organization and planning, to help make this event a
                          success.. Any suggestions or caveats from seasoned event
                          organizers/participants are more than welcome.

                          Looking forward to seeing you here in January!

                          Pte. Kendall Lamar
                          93rd Sutherland Highlanders

                        • HQ93rd@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 8, 2002
                            In a message dated 07/9/02 11:16:31 PM, klamar@... writes:

                            << As the ONLY enthusiast in New Orleans currently portraying a
                            Redcoat, >>

                            Woops -- Tim may have something to say about that!
                            ;-)

                            93rd SHRoFLHU
                            THE Thin Red Line
                            www.93rdhighlanders.com
                          • HQ93rd@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 8, 2002
                              In a message dated 07/9/02 7:41:17 PM, charlespk66@... writes:

                              << We plan to have a script to issue to units
                              ahead of time. We also plan to have a sound system and narrator. >>

                              I will be happy to help input any details for a script on the battle.
                              For instance, in the memoirs of a Brit 7th Reg't sergeant, he spoke of a US
                              regular unit firing "as if on parade" -- and that when the Americans came to
                              the aim/present, the veteran Brits would drop to the ground thus avoiding the
                              hail of balls, jump back up and fire -- to noticeable affect on the US troops.
                              Another -- there was an instance where the 93rd had arrived on the field and
                              one company was mistaken (somehow) by US militia to be other US forces. The
                              93rd proceeded to capture the fellows.
                              All sorts of interesting stuff going on "in the dark".
                              Oh -- and if Larry Lozon is there, he makes an excellent narrator (just have
                              to get him there!)

                              And if you guys don't hear it enough -- THANK YOU for doing all that you do
                              for this event. I was once a 9 hour drive from Chalmette, now it takes a
                              plane flight of 4 or 5 hours to get there -- in either case it was hard to
                              organize most things. It is wonderful to have folks THERE who care!

                              93rd SHRoFLHU
                              THE Thin Red Line
                              www.93rdhighlanders.com
                            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 8, 2002
                                In a message dated 9/8/2002 3:26:31 AM Central Daylight Time, HQ93rd@...
                                writes:

                                > Woops -- Tim may have something to say about that!
                                > ;-)

                                You mean about portraying a Brit at NO for the last 14 years? Well, if folk
                                haven't noticed by now that's OK.

                                Charles has done great work with 'da Parish', his being in that area has been
                                of inestimable value and I think has given people there confidence that it
                                can be their event, not just outsiders coming in when they feel like it.

                                We have been talking about the script but of course all we can do is say what
                                we would like to do. The more folk who attend the more interesting things can
                                be incorporated so now is the time to think about getting your units down
                                here. Particularly the Brits!

                              • klamar93rd
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 8, 2002
                                  HQ93rd@a... wrote
                                  > Woops -- Tim may have something to say about that!
                                  > ;-)

                                  Uh-OH!!

                                  Ummm, the key word there was ...REDcoat ! Yes, that's it...RED!
                                  (I believe General Pickles' jacket is of a more Blue-ish colour.
                                  Same goes for that New Orleans gentleman in the dashing
                                  Royal Navy uniform!)

                                  Let me rephrase: I'm the only enthusiast representing British
                                  INFANTRY in New Orleans... The Anniversary event could benefit
                                  greatly from more OR on the field (not to say that the sheer
                                  brilliance and unparalleled mannerisms of our fine Officer Corps
                                  isn't wholeheartedly appreciated by the "scum of the earth"!)

                                • JGIL1812@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 9, 2002
                                    klamar@... writes:

                                    << (not to say that the sheer
                                    brilliance and unparalleled mannerisms of our fine Officer Corps
                                    isn't wholeheartedly appreciated by the "scum of the earth"!) >>

                                    Kendall,

                                    Let me understand this.... are you saying that the daily ration isn't right?
                                    I should hope not my dear man. It is the duty of every officer who attends
                                    New Orleans to see that all of the men are taken care of.

                                    Since I am well aquatinted with all of the officers in question, I can assure
                                    the world and any of those who are thinking of attending this years event,
                                    that all of the OR's that parade at Chalmette are well plied with only the
                                    worlds finest single malt scotch on a regular basis.

                                    Huzzah!!!!

                                    JG/RE
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 9, 2002
                                      From: <HQ93rd@...>

                                      " ... if Larry Lozon is there, he makes an excellent narrator
                                      (just have to get him there!)

                                      Major B,

                                      workin' on it !