Re: RMA Congreves

  • nappingcrow
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
      > Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
      > didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
      > If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

      Glad you liked the link.

      In "Amateurs to Arms" John Elting states that for the attack on
      Washington D.C. Major General Robert Ross had under his command a
      Royal Artillery "rocket brigade", and a Royal Marine
      Artillery "rocket corps", strength was 150 officers and men in each,
      and a total of 60 rocket launchers. I *think* the RA "rocket
      brigade" was supposed to be the mounted unit, but Elting also states
      that there were almost no horses available for Ross' command. Would
      they have served dismounted, or is there another unit I'm
      forgetting? Anyone?

      Brian S.
    • easeufe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
        nappingcrow@... writes:

        > Would
        > they have served dismounted, or is there another unit I'm
        > forgetting? Anyone?

        In Ross's dispatch to Earl Bathurst after the battle, he expresses his thanks
        to a Captain Mitchell of the Royal Artillery for bringing the guns into
        action along with Captain Deacon's rocket brigade as well as the Marine
        Rocket Corps. He also thanks a Captain Lempriere, also Royal Artillery, for
        mounting a small detachment of Royal Arillery drivers. In the casualty
        report, there is no mention of Royal Horse Artillery; just Royal Artillery, 6
        rank and file wounded, and Royal Marine Artillery, 1 rank and file killed, 1
        Segeant wounded.

        Rest assured there were horses at Bladensburg. In "Subaltern in America",
        the author (Glieg?) mentions that horses for the General and staff were
        landed but none for the artillery (though there were drivers). Ross's
        casualty report also lists 10 horses killed: 4 from General Staff; 4 from
        Royal Artillery; 1 from the 4th and 1 from the 85th! There were an
        additional 8 horses wounded from the Royal Artillery.

        If Ross was meticulous enough to list horses and a sergeant wounded from the
        6th West India Regiment, he would have certainly mentioned the RHA had they
        been there!

        He even mentions Lt-Col Mullens of the 44th!

        Ed Seufert, LCpl
        1812 Royal Marines
        1st Co/2nd Batt RM

      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2002
          You mean they talked about those things back then?