RMA Congreves

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
      From: "terry1813" <tlubka@...>

      Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
      didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
      If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

      Terry,

      Was not the Rocket Corps (The Royal Horse Artillery)
      at New Orleans ?

      " a Rocket Troop of the Royal Horse Artillery"

      Osprey Campaign Series #28 "New Orleans 181"
      - Tim Pickles (an autographed copy)
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
        In a message dated 9/3/2002 9:07:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
        tlubka@... writes:

        > Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
        > didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
        > If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

        They did at New Orleans. In fact the overall Artillery CO at New Orleans was
        RHA (Lt. Col. Alexander Dixon).

      • nappingcrow
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
          > Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
          > didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
          > If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

          Glad you liked the link.

          In "Amateurs to Arms" John Elting states that for the attack on
          Washington D.C. Major General Robert Ross had under his command a
          Royal Artillery "rocket brigade", and a Royal Marine
          Artillery "rocket corps", strength was 150 officers and men in each,
          and a total of 60 rocket launchers. I *think* the RA "rocket
          brigade" was supposed to be the mounted unit, but Elting also states
          that there were almost no horses available for Ross' command. Would
          they have served dismounted, or is there another unit I'm
          forgetting? Anyone?

          Brian S.
        • easeufe@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
            nappingcrow@... writes:

            > Would
            > they have served dismounted, or is there another unit I'm
            > forgetting? Anyone?

            In Ross's dispatch to Earl Bathurst after the battle, he expresses his thanks
            to a Captain Mitchell of the Royal Artillery for bringing the guns into
            action along with Captain Deacon's rocket brigade as well as the Marine
            Rocket Corps. He also thanks a Captain Lempriere, also Royal Artillery, for
            mounting a small detachment of Royal Arillery drivers. In the casualty
            report, there is no mention of Royal Horse Artillery; just Royal Artillery, 6
            rank and file wounded, and Royal Marine Artillery, 1 rank and file killed, 1
            Segeant wounded.

            Rest assured there were horses at Bladensburg. In "Subaltern in America",
            the author (Glieg?) mentions that horses for the General and staff were
            landed but none for the artillery (though there were drivers). Ross's
            casualty report also lists 10 horses killed: 4 from General Staff; 4 from
            Royal Artillery; 1 from the 4th and 1 from the 85th! There were an
            additional 8 horses wounded from the Royal Artillery.

            If Ross was meticulous enough to list horses and a sergeant wounded from the
            6th West India Regiment, he would have certainly mentioned the RHA had they
            been there!

            He even mentions Lt-Col Mullens of the 44th!

            Ed Seufert, LCpl
            1812 Royal Marines
            1st Co/2nd Batt RM

          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2002
              You mean they talked about those things back then?