Re: RMA Congreves

  • steenkinbadges
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
      --- In WarOf1812@y..., "terry1813" <tlubka@p...> wrote:
      > --- In WarOf1812@y..., "nappingcrow" <nappingcrow@h...> wrote:
      > > You may find the following site interesting:
      > >
      > > http://www.rockets.org.uk/
      > >
      > > The author just wrote a good article for "Military Collector &
      > > Historian" about the corps and their uniforms during the war of
      > 1812.
      >
      > Great site!
      > Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
      > didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
      > If so then why are there people doing that impression here?
      >
      > Terry
      > 25 US Inf

      To keep the time-honoured tradition of shooting off bottle rockets at
      reenactment events alive...):P

      Fred C Dobbs
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
        From: "terry1813" <tlubka@...>

        Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
        didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
        If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

        Terry,

        Was not the Rocket Corps (The Royal Horse Artillery)
        at New Orleans ?

        " a Rocket Troop of the Royal Horse Artillery"

        Osprey Campaign Series #28 "New Orleans 181"
        - Tim Pickles (an autographed copy)
      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
          In a message dated 9/3/2002 9:07:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
          tlubka@... writes:

          > Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
          > didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
          > If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

          They did at New Orleans. In fact the overall Artillery CO at New Orleans was
          RHA (Lt. Col. Alexander Dixon).

        • nappingcrow
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
            > Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
            > didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
            > If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

            Glad you liked the link.

            In "Amateurs to Arms" John Elting states that for the attack on
            Washington D.C. Major General Robert Ross had under his command a
            Royal Artillery "rocket brigade", and a Royal Marine
            Artillery "rocket corps", strength was 150 officers and men in each,
            and a total of 60 rocket launchers. I *think* the RA "rocket
            brigade" was supposed to be the mounted unit, but Elting also states
            that there were almost no horses available for Ross' command. Would
            they have served dismounted, or is there another unit I'm
            forgetting? Anyone?

            Brian S.
          • easeufe@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
              nappingcrow@... writes:

              > Would
              > they have served dismounted, or is there another unit I'm
              > forgetting? Anyone?

              In Ross's dispatch to Earl Bathurst after the battle, he expresses his thanks
              to a Captain Mitchell of the Royal Artillery for bringing the guns into
              action along with Captain Deacon's rocket brigade as well as the Marine
              Rocket Corps. He also thanks a Captain Lempriere, also Royal Artillery, for
              mounting a small detachment of Royal Arillery drivers. In the casualty
              report, there is no mention of Royal Horse Artillery; just Royal Artillery, 6
              rank and file wounded, and Royal Marine Artillery, 1 rank and file killed, 1
              Segeant wounded.

              Rest assured there were horses at Bladensburg. In "Subaltern in America",
              the author (Glieg?) mentions that horses for the General and staff were
              landed but none for the artillery (though there were drivers). Ross's
              casualty report also lists 10 horses killed: 4 from General Staff; 4 from
              Royal Artillery; 1 from the 4th and 1 from the 85th! There were an
              additional 8 horses wounded from the Royal Artillery.

              If Ross was meticulous enough to list horses and a sergeant wounded from the
              6th West India Regiment, he would have certainly mentioned the RHA had they
              been there!

              He even mentions Lt-Col Mullens of the 44th!

              Ed Seufert, LCpl
              1812 Royal Marines
              1st Co/2nd Batt RM

            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2002
                You mean they talked about those things back then?