Re: RMA Congreves

  • nappingcrow
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2002
      You may find the following site interesting:

      http://www.rockets.org.uk/

      The author just wrote a good article for "Military Collector &
      Historian" about the corps and their uniforms during the war of 1812.
    • terry1813
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "nappingcrow" <nappingcrow@h...> wrote:
        > You may find the following site interesting:
        >
        > http://www.rockets.org.uk/
        >
        > The author just wrote a good article for "Military Collector &
        > Historian" about the corps and their uniforms during the war of
        1812.

        Great site!
        Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
        didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
        If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

        Terry
        25 US Inf
      • steenkinbadges
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
          --- In WarOf1812@y..., "terry1813" <tlubka@p...> wrote:
          > --- In WarOf1812@y..., "nappingcrow" <nappingcrow@h...> wrote:
          > > You may find the following site interesting:
          > >
          > > http://www.rockets.org.uk/
          > >
          > > The author just wrote a good article for "Military Collector &
          > > Historian" about the corps and their uniforms during the war of
          > 1812.
          >
          > Great site!
          > Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
          > didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
          > If so then why are there people doing that impression here?
          >
          > Terry
          > 25 US Inf

          To keep the time-honoured tradition of shooting off bottle rockets at
          reenactment events alive...):P

          Fred C Dobbs
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
            From: "terry1813" <tlubka@...>

            Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
            didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
            If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

            Terry,

            Was not the Rocket Corps (The Royal Horse Artillery)
            at New Orleans ?

            " a Rocket Troop of the Royal Horse Artillery"

            Osprey Campaign Series #28 "New Orleans 181"
            - Tim Pickles (an autographed copy)
          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
              In a message dated 9/3/2002 9:07:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
              tlubka@... writes:

              > Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
              > didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
              > If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

              They did at New Orleans. In fact the overall Artillery CO at New Orleans was
              RHA (Lt. Col. Alexander Dixon).

            • nappingcrow
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
                > Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
                > didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
                > If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

                Glad you liked the link.

                In "Amateurs to Arms" John Elting states that for the attack on
                Washington D.C. Major General Robert Ross had under his command a
                Royal Artillery "rocket brigade", and a Royal Marine
                Artillery "rocket corps", strength was 150 officers and men in each,
                and a total of 60 rocket launchers. I *think* the RA "rocket
                brigade" was supposed to be the mounted unit, but Elting also states
                that there were almost no horses available for Ross' command. Would
                they have served dismounted, or is there another unit I'm
                forgetting? Anyone?

                Brian S.
              • easeufe@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
                  nappingcrow@... writes:

                  > Would
                  > they have served dismounted, or is there another unit I'm
                  > forgetting? Anyone?

                  In Ross's dispatch to Earl Bathurst after the battle, he expresses his thanks
                  to a Captain Mitchell of the Royal Artillery for bringing the guns into
                  action along with Captain Deacon's rocket brigade as well as the Marine
                  Rocket Corps. He also thanks a Captain Lempriere, also Royal Artillery, for
                  mounting a small detachment of Royal Arillery drivers. In the casualty
                  report, there is no mention of Royal Horse Artillery; just Royal Artillery, 6
                  rank and file wounded, and Royal Marine Artillery, 1 rank and file killed, 1
                  Segeant wounded.

                  Rest assured there were horses at Bladensburg. In "Subaltern in America",
                  the author (Glieg?) mentions that horses for the General and staff were
                  landed but none for the artillery (though there were drivers). Ross's
                  casualty report also lists 10 horses killed: 4 from General Staff; 4 from
                  Royal Artillery; 1 from the 4th and 1 from the 85th! There were an
                  additional 8 horses wounded from the Royal Artillery.

                  If Ross was meticulous enough to list horses and a sergeant wounded from the
                  6th West India Regiment, he would have certainly mentioned the RHA had they
                  been there!

                  He even mentions Lt-Col Mullens of the 44th!

                  Ed Seufert, LCpl
                  1812 Royal Marines
                  1st Co/2nd Batt RM

                • Kevin Windsor
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 2002
                    You mean they talked about those things back then?