Re: [WarOf1812] RMA Congreves

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2002
      In a message dated 9/1/2002 9:27:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
      le_coq_fou@... writes:

      > Does anyone know what the Royal marine Artillery Congreve crews would
      > be dressed like for Napoleonic times? Would thier uniforms be similar
      > to Royal Artillery or conventional Royal Marine Artillery artillery
      > crews? I am looking to find information on the Congreve teams
      > involved in the Niagra campaigns. Thanks alot!

      The only official uniform for the RM at the time was the red one. Having said
      that Marines could provide themselves with an unlaced blue jacket for gun
      exercise.

    • easeufe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2002
        In a message dated 9/1/02 11:55:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        BritcomHMP@... writes:

        > The only official uniform for the RM at the time was the red one. Having
        > said
        > that Marines could provide themselves with an unlaced blue jacket for gun
        > exercise

        Most correct Your Lordship.

        There was no difference in dress from Royal Marines and Royal Marine
        Artillery. In 1807, the RMA was allowed to differ from the authorized red
        fatigue jacket and purchase for themselves, a blue jacket which was worn
        while serving the guns or rockets. The sole purpose seems to have been to
        preserve their uniforms; blue does not show soot as much as red! It is not
        until 1816 that the RMA officially changes over to uniforms similiar to the
        Royal Artillery.

        Ed Seufert, LCpl
        1812 Royal Marines
        1st Co/2nd Batt RM

      • nappingcrow
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2002
          You may find the following site interesting:

          http://www.rockets.org.uk/

          The author just wrote a good article for "Military Collector &
          Historian" about the corps and their uniforms during the war of 1812.
        • terry1813
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
            --- In WarOf1812@y..., "nappingcrow" <nappingcrow@h...> wrote:
            > You may find the following site interesting:
            >
            > http://www.rockets.org.uk/
            >
            > The author just wrote a good article for "Military Collector &
            > Historian" about the corps and their uniforms during the war of
            1812.

            Great site!
            Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
            didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
            If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

            Terry
            25 US Inf
          • steenkinbadges
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
              --- In WarOf1812@y..., "terry1813" <tlubka@p...> wrote:
              > --- In WarOf1812@y..., "nappingcrow" <nappingcrow@h...> wrote:
              > > You may find the following site interesting:
              > >
              > > http://www.rockets.org.uk/
              > >
              > > The author just wrote a good article for "Military Collector &
              > > Historian" about the corps and their uniforms during the war of
              > 1812.
              >
              > Great site!
              > Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
              > didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
              > If so then why are there people doing that impression here?
              >
              > Terry
              > 25 US Inf

              To keep the time-honoured tradition of shooting off bottle rockets at
              reenactment events alive...):P

              Fred C Dobbs
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
                From: "terry1813" <tlubka@...>

                Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
                didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
                If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

                Terry,

                Was not the Rocket Corps (The Royal Horse Artillery)
                at New Orleans ?

                " a Rocket Troop of the Royal Horse Artillery"

                Osprey Campaign Series #28 "New Orleans 181"
                - Tim Pickles (an autographed copy)
              • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
                  In a message dated 9/3/2002 9:07:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
                  tlubka@... writes:

                  > Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
                  > didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
                  > If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

                  They did at New Orleans. In fact the overall Artillery CO at New Orleans was
                  RHA (Lt. Col. Alexander Dixon).

                • nappingcrow
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
                    > Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
                    > didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
                    > If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

                    Glad you liked the link.

                    In "Amateurs to Arms" John Elting states that for the attack on
                    Washington D.C. Major General Robert Ross had under his command a
                    Royal Artillery "rocket brigade", and a Royal Marine
                    Artillery "rocket corps", strength was 150 officers and men in each,
                    and a total of 60 rocket launchers. I *think* the RA "rocket
                    brigade" was supposed to be the mounted unit, but Elting also states
                    that there were almost no horses available for Ross' command. Would
                    they have served dismounted, or is there another unit I'm
                    forgetting? Anyone?

                    Brian S.
                  • easeufe@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
                      nappingcrow@... writes:

                      > Would
                      > they have served dismounted, or is there another unit I'm
                      > forgetting? Anyone?

                      In Ross's dispatch to Earl Bathurst after the battle, he expresses his thanks
                      to a Captain Mitchell of the Royal Artillery for bringing the guns into
                      action along with Captain Deacon's rocket brigade as well as the Marine
                      Rocket Corps. He also thanks a Captain Lempriere, also Royal Artillery, for
                      mounting a small detachment of Royal Arillery drivers. In the casualty
                      report, there is no mention of Royal Horse Artillery; just Royal Artillery, 6
                      rank and file wounded, and Royal Marine Artillery, 1 rank and file killed, 1
                      Segeant wounded.

                      Rest assured there were horses at Bladensburg. In "Subaltern in America",
                      the author (Glieg?) mentions that horses for the General and staff were
                      landed but none for the artillery (though there were drivers). Ross's
                      casualty report also lists 10 horses killed: 4 from General Staff; 4 from
                      Royal Artillery; 1 from the 4th and 1 from the 85th! There were an
                      additional 8 horses wounded from the Royal Artillery.

                      If Ross was meticulous enough to list horses and a sergeant wounded from the
                      6th West India Regiment, he would have certainly mentioned the RHA had they
                      been there!

                      He even mentions Lt-Col Mullens of the 44th!

                      Ed Seufert, LCpl
                      1812 Royal Marines
                      1st Co/2nd Batt RM

                    • Kevin Windsor
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 4, 2002
                        You mean they talked about those things back then?