RMA Congreves

  • le_coq_fou
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2002
      Does anyone know what the Royal marine Artillery Congreve crews would
      be dressed like for Napoleonic times? Would thier uniforms be similar
      to Royal Artillery or conventional Royal Marine Artillery artillery
      crews? I am looking to find information on the Congreve teams
      involved in the Niagra campaigns. Thanks alot!

      Josh
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2002
        In a message dated 9/1/2002 9:27:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
        le_coq_fou@... writes:

        > Does anyone know what the Royal marine Artillery Congreve crews would
        > be dressed like for Napoleonic times? Would thier uniforms be similar
        > to Royal Artillery or conventional Royal Marine Artillery artillery
        > crews? I am looking to find information on the Congreve teams
        > involved in the Niagra campaigns. Thanks alot!

        The only official uniform for the RM at the time was the red one. Having said
        that Marines could provide themselves with an unlaced blue jacket for gun
        exercise.

      • easeufe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2002
          In a message dated 9/1/02 11:55:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          BritcomHMP@... writes:

          > The only official uniform for the RM at the time was the red one. Having
          > said
          > that Marines could provide themselves with an unlaced blue jacket for gun
          > exercise

          Most correct Your Lordship.

          There was no difference in dress from Royal Marines and Royal Marine
          Artillery. In 1807, the RMA was allowed to differ from the authorized red
          fatigue jacket and purchase for themselves, a blue jacket which was worn
          while serving the guns or rockets. The sole purpose seems to have been to
          preserve their uniforms; blue does not show soot as much as red! It is not
          until 1816 that the RMA officially changes over to uniforms similiar to the
          Royal Artillery.

          Ed Seufert, LCpl
          1812 Royal Marines
          1st Co/2nd Batt RM

        • nappingcrow
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2002
            You may find the following site interesting:

            http://www.rockets.org.uk/

            The author just wrote a good article for "Military Collector &
            Historian" about the corps and their uniforms during the war of 1812.
          • terry1813
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
              --- In WarOf1812@y..., "nappingcrow" <nappingcrow@h...> wrote:
              > You may find the following site interesting:
              >
              > http://www.rockets.org.uk/
              >
              > The author just wrote a good article for "Military Collector &
              > Historian" about the corps and their uniforms during the war of
              1812.

              Great site!
              Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
              didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
              If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

              Terry
              25 US Inf
            • steenkinbadges
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
                --- In WarOf1812@y..., "terry1813" <tlubka@p...> wrote:
                > --- In WarOf1812@y..., "nappingcrow" <nappingcrow@h...> wrote:
                > > You may find the following site interesting:
                > >
                > > http://www.rockets.org.uk/
                > >
                > > The author just wrote a good article for "Military Collector &
                > > Historian" about the corps and their uniforms during the war of
                > 1812.
                >
                > Great site!
                > Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
                > didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
                > If so then why are there people doing that impression here?
                >
                > Terry
                > 25 US Inf

                To keep the time-honoured tradition of shooting off bottle rockets at
                reenactment events alive...):P

                Fred C Dobbs
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
                  From: "terry1813" <tlubka@...>

                  Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
                  didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
                  If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

                  Terry,

                  Was not the Rocket Corps (The Royal Horse Artillery)
                  at New Orleans ?

                  " a Rocket Troop of the Royal Horse Artillery"

                  Osprey Campaign Series #28 "New Orleans 181"
                  - Tim Pickles (an autographed copy)
                • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
                    In a message dated 9/3/2002 9:07:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
                    tlubka@... writes:

                    > Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
                    > didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
                    > If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

                    They did at New Orleans. In fact the overall Artillery CO at New Orleans was
                    RHA (Lt. Col. Alexander Dixon).

                  • nappingcrow
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
                      > Can anyone answer me this question? The Royal Horse Artillery, they
                      > didn't man the Congreave rockets here in North America right?
                      > If so then why are there people doing that impression here?

                      Glad you liked the link.

                      In "Amateurs to Arms" John Elting states that for the attack on
                      Washington D.C. Major General Robert Ross had under his command a
                      Royal Artillery "rocket brigade", and a Royal Marine
                      Artillery "rocket corps", strength was 150 officers and men in each,
                      and a total of 60 rocket launchers. I *think* the RA "rocket
                      brigade" was supposed to be the mounted unit, but Elting also states
                      that there were almost no horses available for Ross' command. Would
                      they have served dismounted, or is there another unit I'm
                      forgetting? Anyone?

                      Brian S.
                    • easeufe@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 3, 2002
                        nappingcrow@... writes:

                        > Would
                        > they have served dismounted, or is there another unit I'm
                        > forgetting? Anyone?

                        In Ross's dispatch to Earl Bathurst after the battle, he expresses his thanks
                        to a Captain Mitchell of the Royal Artillery for bringing the guns into
                        action along with Captain Deacon's rocket brigade as well as the Marine
                        Rocket Corps. He also thanks a Captain Lempriere, also Royal Artillery, for
                        mounting a small detachment of Royal Arillery drivers. In the casualty
                        report, there is no mention of Royal Horse Artillery; just Royal Artillery, 6
                        rank and file wounded, and Royal Marine Artillery, 1 rank and file killed, 1
                        Segeant wounded.

                        Rest assured there were horses at Bladensburg. In "Subaltern in America",
                        the author (Glieg?) mentions that horses for the General and staff were
                        landed but none for the artillery (though there were drivers). Ross's
                        casualty report also lists 10 horses killed: 4 from General Staff; 4 from
                        Royal Artillery; 1 from the 4th and 1 from the 85th! There were an
                        additional 8 horses wounded from the Royal Artillery.

                        If Ross was meticulous enough to list horses and a sergeant wounded from the
                        6th West India Regiment, he would have certainly mentioned the RHA had they
                        been there!

                        He even mentions Lt-Col Mullens of the 44th!

                        Ed Seufert, LCpl
                        1812 Royal Marines
                        1st Co/2nd Batt RM

                      • Kevin Windsor
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 4, 2002
                          You mean they talked about those things back then?