Re: Brown Bess debate

  • militaryheritage
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2002
      Dear Mr Whittaker,

      Just a message to clear up some points.

      There was an enfield barrel made in India that broke in England. The
      barrel broke past the second band and not in the breech area. A
      ballistics expert friend assumed an obstruction in the barrel caused
      it to bust or a second explosion inside.

      The barrel had been proofed and a company selling Euroarms suggested
      Indian barrels weakened over time. (using that logic if I construct
      something out of 4150 steel in India and 4150 steel in Europe, the
      object made of 4150 steel in India will weaken quicker? No they are
      both made of same steel).

      Just as in Canada and the United States there are many people in
      India making flintlock muskets. They range in quality from guys
      making them in the backyard out of waterpipe to real manufacturing
      companies following industry standards.

      Guess where most of the India Pattern Muskets where being made?
      Well... India. It is amazing on how many people don't realize that!

      All our muskets are made in a factory from seamless case-hardened
      steel with threaded breeches. The barrel wall thickness is greater
      than that of Pedersoli. Numerous reenactment groups and historic
      sites (Parks Canada and National Parks Service included) use some of
      our muskets in their demonstrations.

      We have sold hundreds of these muskets and our manufacturer has
      supplied thousands to Europe and the UK with the barrels going
      through their proofing houses. All without a single incident.

      In North America there is no proofing standards therefore a musket
      made in North America is not proofed. Today's quality of steel has
      made it no longer necessary. But you have to use good steel and not
      mild steel. Indeed the proofing process in Europe can be considered
      far from definitive. There often one barrel is selected from a lot
      of barrels, tested, and the rest of the barrels of the lot are
      approved.

      We suggest any new musket be test fired with ball for peace of mind.
      Peace of mind assists in developing confidence and as everyone knows
      most accidents are caused by someone who is not properly trained
      and/or lacks confidence in the safe use of his/her firearm.

      I hope this information is useful in the debate. In addition we are
      the manufacturer's sole distributor in Canada. Any other company
      selling the India Pattern Musket is selling copy made from another
      manufacturer and we have no idea as to its quality.

      Sincerely,

      Robert Henderson

      http://www.militaryheritage.com/

      --- In WarOf1812@y..., "jbwhittaker" <ortheris@r...> wrote:
      > Greetings,
      > I find I must agree with Mr.Harris regarding a musket that has not
      > been proofed. I would be wary of such a musket and would consider
      it
      > a "wall hanger". There was a dicussion on another site previously
      > regarding muskets made in India that displayed dangerous weakness
      > after a number of firings? Perhaps we should hear from someone in
      the
      > group who has purchased one of these muskets from The
      Discriminating