American Cantens

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26 3:58 PM
      From: "alaidh" <alaidh@...>

      Which one (canteen) would be historically accurate
      for American regular troops in 1814-15?

      I am led to believe that the wooden "Cheesebox" canteen
      is correct for 1812 USA troops as the tin "kidney" canteen
      was issued during the American Revolutionary War.

      Major Abolt, what does the 7th use?
    • Steve Abolt
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 27 5:13 AM
        Dear Fitz and Larry,

        Wooden canteens are correct for US use. So many were
        ordered during the War that for years afterwards the
        US Army did not contract for more until all remaining
        stocks were issued.

        The first tin issue canteen I have ever seen for
        Regular troops dates to the Mexican War 1846-48.

        All the best,
        S.

        --- Larry Lozon <lalozon@...> wrote:

        > Major Abolt, what does the 7th use?