Corps of Drums

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 24, 2002
      From: "davebevca" <dave.bev@...>

      > The discussion of the appropriate rank for the Drum Major, i.e. Ross
      > Flowers, and the organization of the Corp of Drums persuades me that
      > I should attempt to clarify the position of the Corp of Drums within
      > the Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada (IMUC).
      > In 1812, a British battalion had drummers for each company who could
      > be assembled to for a Corp of Drums. Fifers were either drummers who
      > could fife or soldiers pulled from the line companies to add to the
      > Music. It is highly unlikely that IMUC had a Corp of Drums: However,
      > many years ago we in IMUC decided that a Corp of Drums would,
      > improve the "show" for the public and b) would allow us to
      > portray a very important part of the military life of the times.
      > Parenthetically I should also point out that IMUC's Colours did
      > not arrive in Canada until 1821.
      > Ross formed, trained, and led our Corp of Drums for a number of years
      > and then retired for an (all too long) hiatus. Ross was persuaded to
      > come back several years ago (I take some, but only some, -:) of the
      > responsibility for persuading him).
      > Since the North American Battalion has been formed, Ross takes the
      > IMUC Drums and any other musicians and forms the Battalion Corp of
      > Drums when the Battalion is formed. This allows musicians from other
      > units to join the Battalion's Drums while still remaining a part
      > of their own unit.
      > Ross is a Sergeant in the IMUC and holds the position of Drum Major.
      > If Peter wishes to give him additional rank in the Battalion, then
      > Peter will be responsible for the length of Ross's plume.-:)

      Thank you so much David.

      May I add, the green coat with red collars and cuffs is reversed facings
      of the Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. As the majority of musicians
      already have this coat, it was maintained as uniform of preference for
      the Corps of Drums.

      I request we all applaud their efforts when we next experience their
      music at Fort Erie?
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 24, 2002
        Appluaded yes, but I still think they wold look better in white faced black! The the o so talented drummer of the 89th Grenadiers. (who were allowed a fifer and a
        drummer!)

        Larry Lozon wrote:

        > As the majority of musicians
        > already have this coat, it was maintained as uniform of preference for
        > the Corps of Drums.
      • steenkinbadges
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 24, 2002
          --- In WarOf1812@y..., Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:
          > Appluaded yes, but I still think they wold look better in white
          faced black! The the o so talented drummer of the 89th Grenadiers.
          (who were allowed a fifer and a
          > drummer!)
          >
          > Larry Lozon wrote:
          >
          > > As the majority of musicians
          > > already have this coat, it was maintained as uniform of
          preference for
          > > the Corps of Drums.

          Or would these units have just had a fancier version of the
          infantryman's tunic? After all, "Reversed colours [for musicians]
          were officially discontinued in 1811, but seem to have been retained
          by some regiments for some time."
          - p.46, Haythornthwaite, Philip J., "British Infantry of the
          Napoleonic Wars", London, 1987.

          Fred C Dobbs
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 25, 2002
            From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>

            I still think they wold look better in white faced black!

            Kevin, what a great idea!

            ~ offering a change of clothes for the Corps of Drums.

            A winter project for your group methinks, the Corps could
            march in green faced red one day and the next in your unit's
            gift, white faced black coats!

            Huzzah to Kevin!!
          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 25, 2002
              In a message dated 7/24/2002 10:30:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
              steenkinbadges@... writes:

              > Or would these units have just had a fancier version of the
              > infantryman's tunic? After all, "Reversed colours [for musicians]
              > were officially discontinued in 1811, but seem to have been retained
              > by some regiments for some time."
              > - p.46, Haythornthwaite, Philip J., "British Infantry of the
              > Napoleonic Wars", London, 1987.

              The army is very traditional, it tends to hang on to things after they have
              been discontinued officially (the exception being the que) and in any case
              uniforms could always be continued until their official replacement date. Add
              to this the fact that the band uniforms are a charge to the regiment (i.e.,
              the Colonel), not the government, and it becomes plain why so many bands
              retained the old uniforms for a while.

            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 25, 2002
                Hey if I win the super 7 on Friday I will outfit the whole corp of drums in whatever uniform the good drum major wants!!

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 25, 2002
                  From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>

                  ... if I win the super 7 on Friday I will outfit the whole corp
                  of drums in whatever uniform the good drum major wants!!

                  Possibly he would choose the smashing white coats with red
                  facings of the 41st Regt. or the regal red coat with royal lace of
                  the 8th (Kings) Regt. .......
                • Paul Kelly
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 17, 2003
                    Greetings all,

                    Yesterday Ross Flowers and the Corps of Drums were invited to be part
                    of the Sunset Ceremony at Old Fort Henry in Kingston (Ontario). The
                    Fort Henry Guard and the Ceremonial Guard from Parliament Hill
                    (Ottawa) were the other two corps performing (acting as backup for
                    Ross!). The corps is made up of fifers and drummers from IMUC (7),
                    The Norfolk Militia (5), King's 8th (2), Royal Scots (1), The Yorkers
                    (1) and the 49th (1). I've added a few pictures as well in the photo
                    section.

                    Paul Kelly
                    IMUC
                  • Kevin Windsor
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 17, 2003
                      And one from the 89th! Don't forget the guy who wears the white coat! (not the one with the sleeves that tie up in the back!)

                      Paul Kelly wrote:

                      > The corps is made up of fifers and drummers from IMUC (7),
                      > The Norfolk Militia (5), King's 8th (2), Royal Scots (1), The Yorkers
                      > (1) and the 49th (1). I've added a few pictures as well in the photo
                      > section.
                      >
                      > Paul Kelly
                      > IMUC
                    • Len Heidebrecht
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 18, 2003
                        King's 8th? King's 8th? Oh, perhaps you mean to say the King's
                        Regiment or the 8th Regiment of Foot or perhaps the the King's or
                        even the 8th?
                        Stating the name of my unit in this manner is rather like
                        announcing "The BIM, Battalion of Incorporated of Upper Canada, or
                        IMUC of Upper Canada." Something the Department of Redundancy
                        Department would be proud of.
                        Thankyou for the wonderful report of the sunset ceremony. Ross and
                        his Corps of Fifes and Drums are an amazing asset.
                        Cheers,
                        Len

                        "Paul Kelly" <kellys1812@r...> wrote:
                        King's 8th (2),
                      • giiir
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 18, 2003
                          With respect, I defer to a member of The King's Regiment's sense of
                          uniqueness BUT Mr. Kelly may miss the subtle difference between this
                          regiment's name and the 4th (King's Own) in his effort to give credit
                          where credit is due. Sorry Len, but getting on such a high horse may
                          give you nose bleeds.
                          Fred

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Len Heidebrecht"
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 21, 2003
                            Hello,
                            What I was trying to communicate was that the name of the unit with
                            which I belong is not in truth that which is most commonly used. One
                            doesn't say King's Own 4th, so why use an incorrect term?
                            Thankyou Fred my friend on the matter of high horses. Having seen you
                            on many such beasts, I shall defer to your wisdom.
                            Cheers,
                            Len

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "giiir" <giiir@y...> wrote:
                            > With respect, I defer to a member of The King's Regiment's sense of
                            > uniqueness BUT Mr. Kelly may miss the subtle difference between
                            this
                            > regiment's name and the 4th (King's Own) in his effort to give
                            credit
                            > where credit is due. Sorry Len, but getting on such a high horse
                            may
                            > give you nose bleeds.
                            > Fred
                          • Kevin Windsor
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 1, 2003
                              I thought of regimental golf shirts for everyone! But then again since we are on a Niagara Parks Commission site that is NOT a golf course it might be in bad taste!