officer's gorget - engraved or stamped?

  • Arnt family
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2002
      As most of you know, the officer's gorget changed before the outbreak
      of war from the stamped out kind (RevWar period and beyond) to the
      engraved version that came into play before 1812. Both were valid for
      officers depending on when he got his commission. I am not sure when
      the change was made from stamped out to engraved, does anyone on this
      list know?

      The officer I portray, James Crooks, received his commission May 13,
      1807. I am not sure whether to get the stamped out kind or the
      engraved. It depends on when that switch of style was made. Anyone
      with info on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
      --
      ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ
      Fear God, Honour the King.

      F&I: James' Coy, Roger's Rangers.
      RevWar: McDonnell's Coy, Butler's Rangers.
      1812: Crooks' Coy, Lincoln Militia 1st Reg't, Flank Company.
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2002
        In a message dated 7/5/2002 10:06:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
        arnt@... writes:

        > As most of you know, the officer's gorget changed before the outbreak
        > of war from the stamped out kind (RevWar period and beyond) to the
        > engraved version that came into play before 1812. Both were valid for
        > officers depending on when he got his commission. I am not sure when
        > the change was made from stamped out to engraved, does anyone on this
        > list know?
        >
        > The officer I portray, James Crooks, received his commission May 13,
        > 1807. I am not sure whether to get the stamped out kind or the
        > engraved. It depends on when that switch of style was made. Anyone
        > with info on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

        Although there are standard patterns of gorgette there are many variants as
        almost every regiment added numbers mottos or badges of some kind. However
        the official pattern date for the 'engraved type' that you mention was 1812.
        This was a gorgette with a crowned GR surrounded by a laurel wreath, the
        earlier pattern could also be engraved but had the full Royal arms. As I
        recall the embossed repros that are available are in fact pre 1802 (with the
        French arms but without the Irish) so personally I would go for the later
        type.

        A small note on the wearing of this item. It is not a badge of rank but an
        insignia that show that the officer is on duty, therefore it should not be
        worn all the time and indeed they were rarely worn on campaign.