Kingdom of Canada

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
      From: "Calvin Arnt" <arnt@...>

      " ... we were SUPPOSED to be called the Kingdom of Canada ..

      ___________

      Calvin

      I have not found "Kingdom" but I did find this

      "Did you know.....that before 1982 Canada Day had been known as Dominion
      Day, First of July, Confederation Day, and July the First? Canada Day
      celebrates the events that occurred on July 1, 1867, when the British North
      America Act created the Canadian federal government. The BNA Act proclaimed
      "one Dominion under the name of Canada," hence the original title of the
      holiday, "Dominion Day." Dominion Day was officially renamed "Canada Day" by
      an Act of Parliament on October 27, 1982. This change reflected the policy
      of successive governments to downplay Canada's colonial origins. Canada's
      national celebration is always observed on July 1, unless that date falls on
      a Sunday, in which case it is observed the following day."

      and

      "Influence of the American Civil War

      From 1861 to 1865 the United States was embroiled in an internal conflict
      that divided that country. This conflict also had an influence on the
      British North American colonies: continental and transatlantic trade was
      affected, and the battles taking place south of the border created tension
      across the entire continent. The following texts examine certain aspects of
      the influence of the Civil War on life in the British North American
      colonies. Because these colonies were on the verge of a political
      restructuring that would result in the creation of Canada, it is interesting
      to ask ourselves what role the American Civil War played in the process that
      led to Confederation in 1867."

      From:
      http://www.southam.com/nmc/ohcanada/news/origin.html
    • petemonahan@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
        Calvin and Larry

        And the term "Dominion", first coined for Canada and later appropriated by
        our cousins in Oz as well, came I believe from a Biblical quotation. I'm
        sure Ray Hobbs will know the chapterr and verse, but it says (roughly) "And
        He shall grant them dominion from sea to shining sea" - hence our motto.

        Peter Monahan
        petemonahan@...
        705-435-0953