Re: border-jumping with muskets

  • giiir
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
      --- In WarOf1812@y..., johnvs64j@n... wrote:

      > A. No. Because antique firearms are not considered firearms for
      purposes of the Gun Control Act, none of the import regulations apply
      to the importation of antique firearms. Moreover, nonimmigrant aliens
      may possess antique firearms, even if the alien does not fall within
      an exception to the nonimmigrant alien prohibition. If you are not
      sure if your firearm is an antique firearm as defined by the Gun
      Control Act, contact ATF's Firearms Technology Branch (202-927-7910).

      > --John V.

      This is very clear, as far as it goes, but in my mind it raises the
      following two questions:

      1.- Is a modern reproduction of a period weapon an "antique firearm"
      within the meaning of the Act?

      2.- Would a flintlock pistol fall under this exemption?

      Hoping for a definitive answer,
      Iremain your H & O S,
      Fred Fishell
    • giiir
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
        --- In WarOf1812@y..., johnvs64j@n... wrote:
        > List,
        > Here's the "official" word from the BATF website:
        >
        > 25. Q. I am a nonimmigrant alien. Do I need a form 6 import permit
        to import a muzzle loading gun that is considered an antique firearm
        under the Gun Control Act?

        http://shopnow.netscape.com/

        http://webmail.netscape.com/
      • Armchairadm@cs.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
          Reproduction Flintlock & other muzzel loaders are considered antiques and
          therefore not regulated by BATF. As to muzzel loading pistols, flitlock or
          percusion, that varies from state to state. While Customs shold not bother
          you, you may need a state carry permit.

          Ed B

        • CB ROTC
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
            for point 2. as i stated earlier, just because somthing is legal by federal
            standards, do not assume that states also allow it. In some states, all
            "pistols" are treated equally regardless of ignition system/firing
            mechanism.