border-jumping with muskets

  • johnvs64j@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2002
      List,
      Here's the "official" word from the BATF website:

      25. Q. I am a nonimmigrant alien. Do I need a form 6 import permit to import a muzzle loading gun that is considered an antique firearm under the Gun Control Act?

      A. No. Because antique firearms are not considered firearms for purposes of the Gun Control Act, none of the import regulations apply to the importation of antique firearms. Moreover, nonimmigrant aliens may possess antique firearms, even if the alien does not fall within an exception to the nonimmigrant alien prohibition. If you are not sure if your firearm is an antique firearm as defined by the Gun Control Act, contact ATF's Firearms Technology Branch (202-927-7910).

      --John V.

    • giiir
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
        --- In WarOf1812@y..., johnvs64j@n... wrote:

        > A. No. Because antique firearms are not considered firearms for
        purposes of the Gun Control Act, none of the import regulations apply
        to the importation of antique firearms. Moreover, nonimmigrant aliens
        may possess antique firearms, even if the alien does not fall within
        an exception to the nonimmigrant alien prohibition. If you are not
        sure if your firearm is an antique firearm as defined by the Gun
        Control Act, contact ATF's Firearms Technology Branch (202-927-7910).

        > --John V.

        This is very clear, as far as it goes, but in my mind it raises the
        following two questions:

        1.- Is a modern reproduction of a period weapon an "antique firearm"
        within the meaning of the Act?

        2.- Would a flintlock pistol fall under this exemption?

        Hoping for a definitive answer,
        Iremain your H & O S,
        Fred Fishell
      • giiir
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002

          http://shopnow.netscape.com/

          http://webmail.netscape.com/
        • Armchairadm@cs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
            Reproduction Flintlock & other muzzel loaders are considered antiques and
            therefore not regulated by BATF. As to muzzel loading pistols, flitlock or
            percusion, that varies from state to state. While Customs shold not bother
            you, you may need a state carry permit.

            Ed B

          • CB ROTC
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
              for point 2. as i stated earlier, just because somthing is legal by federal
              standards, do not assume that states also allow it. In some states, all
              "pistols" are treated equally regardless of ignition system/firing
              mechanism.