ATF 6

  • director
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2002
      From: jbwhittaker <ortheris@...>
      To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 3:49 PM
      Subject: [WarOf1812] Stateside Events

      > Greetings Group,
      > There was talk at the Gunboat Weekend about very recent changes to
      > the rules and regulations that should be of great concern to
      > reenactors and their entry into the United States. This doesn't
      > concern the recent thread about individuals having hassles at the
      > border. Apparently the new rules came out last week. Does anyone know
      > more about these changes? Thanks.
      > J.Bruce Whittaker
      > Norfolk Militia Rifle Coy.

      Bruce, I was at Gunboat Weekend, and yes it was a great topic of
      conversation - "it" being new ATF regulations that supposedly would hamper
      Canadians bringing muskets and powder into the US. Also at Gunboat Weekend
      was Grover Katzman of Forsyth's Rifles who also is a Customs officer on the
      US side, and he later sent me this e-mail:

      CHANGE No. 2.......

      For those of you who I told, in good faith, that anyone not a United States
      Citizen needed an form ATF-6 to bring in a black powder weapon or black
      powder itself...........

      The United States Federal Government has seen the error of its ways and
      recanted that edict......
      A non United States Citizen can, may, will be able to bring in a flint lock
      type weapon(I have no idea about caps) and powder WITH OUT applying for the
      ATF-6.

      In short..... we are like we were.

      And this e-mail from John Dixon

      Ahoy Don

      I did a little research into the new regulations ATF F6. It appears that
      re-enactors have nothing to worry about as far as bringing muskets into the
      USA. According to the GUN CONTROL ACT 90-618 section 921 - 3 , 921 - 16 B,
      Subpart B, replica flintlock, matchlock, percussion cap are considered
      antiques firearms not firearms and do not fall under form 6.
      See question #25 regarding antiques.

      Gun Control Act
      http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/gca.htm
      Section 178.115 Exempt Importation -(c) The provisions of this subpart shall
      not apply with respect to the importation into the United States of any
      antique firearm.
      Section 178.141 - General - (d) The provisions of this part shall not apply
      with respect to: The transportation, shipment, receipt, possession, or
      importation of any antique firearm.

      New regulations
      http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/022002form6updates.htm

      See question #25
      http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/form6updatesfaqs.htm

      I don't know what the situation is for cannon.
      I would suggest contacting the ATF and get a response for re-enactors
      attending historic battles or live shoots.
      They would still have to be declared and documented so one could get back
      into Canada, but that is another story.
      Hope this helps out. I will be documenting this for my own use when crossing
      the border.

      faire winds
      John

      I hope this answers your questions and concerns.........

      Don Craig, Kent-Delord House Museum, Plattsburgh, NY

      f 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of square
      miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square
      miles...