Stateside Events

  • jbwhittaker
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2002
      Greetings Group,
      There was talk at the Gunboat Weekend about very recent changes to
      the rules and regulations that should be of great concern to
      reenactors and their entry into the United States. This doesn't
      concern the recent thread about individuals having hassles at the
      border. Apparently the new rules came out last week. Does anyone know
      more about these changes? Thanks.
      J.Bruce Whittaker
      Norfolk Militia Rifle Coy.
    • Zorniak
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2002
        Bruce et al

        Please refer to the BATF web site.

        As far as I know no new regulations have come into effect recently (last week) which will affect what we do.

        Remember that "historic" arms such as Brown Besses are exempt from the regulations.

        For more information go to:

        http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/form6updatesfaqs.htm

        Always be on the safe side, so carry info about the event as in: proof that you are registered at the event, and any "advertising" regarding the event. It never hurts to
        have one of the organizers to send you a confirmation that you are attending the event to show US Customs.

        Don Zorniak
      • cfri
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 2002

          We checked with both U.S. Customs and Alcohol, Tobacco and
          Firearms following Mallorytown Landing's Gunboat Weekend
          and were told that despite the new regulations, which came into
          effect the week before the Mallorytown event, blackpowder
          weapons are still considered antiques and are NOT subject to
          the
          new rules (which includes tanks, nuclear weapons and delivery
          systems).

          Ditto for blank cartridges, since they are considered only a
          component of ammunition.

          Rest easy. We can still get into the U.S. with our Besses,
          Charlevilles, et. al.

          Regards

          Robin Morris
          Friends of Crysler's Farm

          --- In WarOf1812@y..., Zorniak <zorniak@s...> wrote:
          > Bruce et al
          >
          > Please refer to the BATF web site.
          >
          > As far as I know no new regulations have come into effect
          recently (last week) which will affect what we do.

          > Remember that "historic" arms such as Brown Besses are
          exempt from the regulations.

          > For more information go to:
          >
          > http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/form6updatesfaqs.htm
          >
          > Always be on the safe side, so carry info about the event as in:
          proof that you are registered at the event, and any "advertising"
          regarding the event. It never hurts to
          > have one of the organizers to send you a confirmation that you
          are attending the event to show US Customs.

          > Don Zorniak
        • CB ROTC
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
            i just wanted to throw my two cents in...
            The US federal government does not ypically consider any muzzle loader
            (blackpowder) to be a "firearm" (same applies to most cartridge weapons made
            before 1898). That being said, never trust the feds at their word, get it
            in writing and please note some states have different laws that apply within
            their boundries.
            ex: michigan considers muzzleloading and precussion pistols as being
            firearms and they have to be registered... you might want to look at various
            state and city laws as well just to be on the safe side.
            ex:2 its really hard to own a full auto machine gun in michigan (though
            legal by federal standards (under certain stipulations) but it is much
            easier to own a Full auto in Ohio.
            ex:3 In ohio inserting any magazine that holds more than 30 rounds
            automaticly changes the status of the weapon to a unregistered and illegal
            "machinegun" (this law is largely ignored). Doing the same in michigan is
            perfectly legal....

            CB