Re: [WarOf1812] Digest Number 1368

  • john harris
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2002
      Calvin, Re: your Plume dilemma
      The first thing you must realize is that Light's were not the only flank
      company. The light company on the left, the Grenadier Com'y on the right ,
      the centre companies in the middle. as for the Lincoln Militia, I don't know
      what their Battalion layout was, I'm sure someone out there does. They may
      have been Flank Co's. on paper only, to give them a better sense of esprite
      de corp's, but this is only a re-enactorism, ( ie: speculation ). Now as for
      doing Light's, you have to walk before you can run, I don't know you, and I
      don't think I've "shot" at you yet, but take this from a 20 + year veteran
      of this time period. Learn your Battilion drill first, then if you want,
      learn the light drill.The light company was the "smartest" per say, ( I can
      say this because I'm a Grenadier when I play Brit ), I've taught light for
      many years, to many people. The only problem anyone has ever had, is that
      they didn;t know the basics, ie: Battalion Drill.
      If you can't establish what plume to wear, either don't wear one, or just
      make one in battalion to start with, they are not hard to make. Didn't mean
      for this one to be a long one, but too many people have gone down the
      dreaded path : re-enactorism, if you are new to this, your going to want to
      do it right, or don't do it at all.My humble opinion only, you take it for
      what you will.

      Regards John Harris
      25th US
      42nd RoF
      From: "cl_1873" <arnt@...>
      Subject: Re: Officer's Plume

      Thank you for writing this Larry, but it is still limited in what it
      tells me. If we are a flank company, then we would probably act like
      Light Infantry I would guess. Therefore we need the green. Does that
      sound reasonable to you? Anyone else with an opinion?

      Calvin.