Re: Stoney Creek night battle

  • ross_watson2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2002
      Tracy -

      One explanation is that the night battle was supposed to resemble the
      original night battle at Stoney Creek. There was much confusion in
      the original so you saw reflected the kind of difficulties that can
      occur when visibility is very difficult and communications between
      bodies of troops quite challenging.

      Ross

      --- In WarOf1812@y..., "tracyforsyth2001" <tracyforsyth@h...> wrote:
      > My family went to Stoney Creek to play spectator at the evening
      > battle on Saturday Night. It seemed to be less active then other
      > battles we have been to. It seemed as the re enactors were not sure
      > of where they were suppose to be and what to do.Can anyone
      enlighten
      > me why this battle was different then the others we have seen at
      Fort
      > Erie and Fort George.Usually night battles are awsome because it is
      > cooler and the re enactors aren't nearly passing out because of the
      > heat of the woolen tunics.Why was this one different???
      >
      > Larry I enjoyed your narratation and I love the fashion history you
      > add into your narrations.Tails and current tux/tails with pockets
      was
      > really interesting .
      > Tracy Forsyth
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2002
        most re-enactors don't know what is happening at the battles. Their job is to follow orders much the same way regular soldiers back then were. The problem was for some
        reason it was unusally loud. I only had a front of 8 and it was tough for the 7 and 8 man to hear me even though I was facing the line and yelling. Also company
        commanders could hardly hear the Battalion commanders. It was strange it was the only time I ever found it that hard to hear! Maybe I am getting old!

        I am also surprised that you could understand Larry's narration with his mouth full of fruit and all!!