Officer's Plume

  • Arnt family
    Message 1 of 15 , May 30, 2002
      Dear Listmembers.

      I am ordering a round hat for myself as Captain in Lincoln Militia. I
      am wondering what colour plume to put on it. We are a Flank Company.
      I'm not sure what militia flank companies would have worn for a
      plume. One person told me all green. I'm not sure if that's right.
      The normal plume I believe is white over red, and other companys had
      all red. Does anyone know what the proper colour would have been for
      a militia flank company? Thanks,

      Calvin Arnt.
      Lincoln Militia.
      --
      ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ‰ƒ
      Fear God, Honour the King.

      F&I: James' Coy, Roger's Rangers.
      RevWar: McDonnell's Coy, Butler's Rangers.
      1812: Crooks' Coy, Lincoln Militia 1st Reg't, Flank Company.
      Message 2 of 15 , May 30, 2002
        From: "Arnt family" <arnt@...>

        I am ordering a round hat for myself as Captain in Lincoln Militia. I
        am wondering what colour plume to put on it. We are a Flank Company.
        I'm not sure what militia flank companies would have worn for a
        plume. One person told me all green. I'm not sure if that's right.
        The normal plume I believe is white over red, and other companys had
        all red. Does anyone know what the proper colour would have been for
        a militia flank company? Thanks,
        ___________________

        Grenadier Company 'white'
        Light Company 'green'
        Line Company 'red and white'
      • HQ93rd@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , May 31, 2002
          In a message dated 5/30/02 5:48:17 PM, arnt@... writes:

          << I am ordering a round hat for myself as Captain in Lincoln Militia. I

          am wondering what colour plume to put on it. >>

          Bright hot pink!
          Woo hoo!

          93rd SHRoFLHU
          THE Thin Red Line
          www.93rdhighlanders.com
        • cl_1873
          Message 4 of 15 , May 31, 2002
            Thank you for writing this Larry, but it is still limited in what it
            tells me. If we are a flank company, then we would probably act like
            Light Infantry I would guess. Therefore we need the green. Does that
            sound reasonable to you? Anyone else with an opinion?

            Calvin.

            > Grenadier Company 'white'
            > Light Company 'green'
            > Line Company 'red and white'
          • cplwattie
            Message 5 of 15 , May 31, 2002
              Would militia have had formal flank companies? I know IMUC didn't,
              and
              it seems a bit odd that the "élite" of the Upper Canadian militia
              wouldn't have had flank coys, but the local militia would have.
              Also I had the impression that the flankers from the embodied militia
              were pulled together in 1813 to form the Inc. Militia of Upper Canada

              > Thank you for writing this Larry, but it is still limited in what
              it
              > tells me. If we are a flank company, then we would probably act
              like
              > Light Infantry I would guess. Therefore we need the green. Does
              that
              > sound reasonable to you? Anyone else with an opinion?
              >
              > Calvin.
              >
              > --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
              > > Grenadier Company 'white'
              > > Light Company 'green'
              > > Line Company 'red and white'
            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 15 , May 31, 2002
                You are correct Chris, the flank coy went the way of Brock at about the time of Brock. Well it was Sheaffe that did it.
                I haven't found any contemporary stuff in my Lincoln Militia stuff. I have a hackle, but nothing above it. My assumption since they were militia is only white over red,
                but I will check before I pronounce any final judgement! ;-)
                Kevin
                (who has a large collection of Lincoln Militia stuff in his museum)

                Message 7 of 15 , May 31, 2002
                  For this question I can say to all of the "primary sources only"
                  people that I have seen original records, only a month ago, which
                  state that at least the Lincoln Militia had two flank companies in
                  each regiment. The first Lincolns even had artillery. We do James
                  Crooks' company of 1st Lincoln Militia, and his was a flank company.
                  We chose to do flank because out of all the militia, at least at the
                  start before IMUC, they would have been called up first rather than
                  the sedentaries because they were the most trusted. They were the
                  last militia dismissed. We also chose them because, as flankers, they
                  would have done more of the woods fighting and light infantry style
                  stuff which is what I like. I could never be a line fire soldier and
                  be happy!

                  When IMUC came along, men were taken from all the militias including
                  the Lincolns, but not ALL the men were taken. I have seen muster
                  rolls into 1814, and James Crooks' company of first Lincolns is still
                  active and on the pay roll.

                  Calvin Arnt.
                  Lincoln Militia, 1 Reg't, Flank Company (Crooks' Coy).

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 31, 2002
                    Kevin, pls call me about this. What do you think about the info I
                    gave in my last post? Like I say, I have seen the muster rolls
                    showing those who would be paid in James Crooks' Coy, which was a
                    flanking company. (905) 685-0020. Or you can email I guess. Whatever
                    you choose. Cheers.

                    Calvin.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 3, 2002
                      From: "cl_1873" <arnt@...>

                      Thank you for writing this Larry, but it is still limited in what it
                      tells me. If we are a flank company, then we would probably act like
                      Light Infantry I would guess. Therefore we need the green. Does that
                      sound reasonable to you? Anyone else with an opinion?

                      Calvin,

                      You state. " ... probably act like Light Infantry I would guess.."
                      and " ...Does that sound reasonable to you? "

                      This is where your research comes in,

                      -what company are you doing?

                      -what was the company?

                      -was it a 'Light Company'?

                      - Check documents, go to the Canadian War Museum
                      and start reading ...

                      In your case, I would not wear any plume until I could
                      document what the company was. I only stated what
                      colours the Royal Warrant called for.

                      In my humble opinion.
                    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 3, 2002
                        In a message dated 6/3/2002 9:24:55 AM Central Daylight Time,
                        lalozon@... writes:

                        > Thank you for writing this Larry, but it is still limited in what it
                        > tells me. If we are a flank company, then we would probably act like
                        > Light Infantry I would guess. Therefore we need the green. Does that
                        > sound reasonable to you? Anyone else with an opinion?

                        Why light infantry and not heavy? After all there are two flank companies one
                        lights, one grenadiers I suppose there is at least as much chance that they
                        would behave as heavies. As I am completely unaware of any unit just being
                        designated as a 'flank' unit without either of these other designation I
                        suppose all one would have to do is decide weather you wish to learn the
                        extra drill to be lights and weather you prefer a green or white plume in
                        your hats!
                        Be assured if the original reference merely refers to the units' flank
                        companies it is referring to both lights and grens.

                      • HQ93rd@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 5, 2002
                          In a message dated 6/3/02 7:24:48 AM, lalozon@... writes:

                          << Therefore we need the green. Does that
                          sound reasonable to you? Anyone else with an opinion?

                          Hot bright pink!

                          93rd SHRoFLHU
                          THE Thin Red Line
                          www.93rdhighlanders.com
                        • CRAIG WILLIAMS
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 5, 2002
                            > << Therefore we need the green. Does that
                            > sound reasonable to you? Anyone else with an opinion?
                            > >>

                            > Hot bright pink!

                            > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                            > THE Thin Red Line
                            > www.93rdhighlanders.com

                            square miles...

                          • CRAIG WILLIAMS
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 5, 2002
                              OOPs!!! I hit the send button by mistake...heres my second attempt ,

                              > > << Therefore we need the green. Does that
                              > > sound reasonable to you? Anyone else with an opinion?
                              > > >>

                              > > Hot bright pink!

                              Or fuchia, you kilt wearing Ho!

                              Craig
                            • HQ93rd@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 6, 2002
                                In a message dated 6/5/02 6:05:25 PM, sgtwarner@... writes:

                                << > > << Therefore we need the green. Does that
                                > > sound reasonable to you? Anyone else with an opinion?
                                > > >>

                                > > Hot bright pink!

                                Or fuchia, you kilt wearing Ho!

                                Craig >>

                                Oh yeah?