Stoney Creek Weekend

  • R Feltoe
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2002
      For those going to the Stoney Creek event this weekend, I just wanted to
      give everyone a heads- up on some of the changes that will be in place this
      year.

      CAMP LAYOUT
      As in the past, I have been asked to take on the job of laying out the
      various camplines and in direct response to comments and requests I hope to
      be able to provide those individuals wishing to undertake a more
      first-person, campaign, or historically specific interpretation with a venue
      whereby they will not have to be located alongside those reenactors who
      incorporate additional (and sometimes anachronistic) camp equipage.

      To this end, the area directly to the north of the main Gage House (previously
      designated the British 'regular' camp) will now be used as the 'Regulation /
      Campaign' camp area. It will be available to anyone from the British,
      Canadian, and American, forces that wishes to establish an encampment based
      on a campaign style or official regulations format.

      There will be an 'American" camp and "British" camp area on the lawn to the north of the house, while 'campaigners' will occupy the treed areas on the east side of the lawn. It will be up to the respective commanders to determine and
      enforce what will be considered appropriate 'regulation' equipage in this
      area.

      All those wishing to make use of additional equipage, tentage, awnings and
      other camp paraphernalia will be accommodated in the 'historic' camp on the
      other side of the creek beside the food pavilion area and running down onto
      the battlefield. Regimental lines will be established, as in the past, with
      sufficient room to include these additional items. Any estimates of tentage
      numbers and general types would be greatly appreciated for me in laying out
      the individual unit encampments. (feltoe@...)

      FIREPITS
      Because of the official designation of the entire site as a historic site
      and heritage area, the organisers have been obliged to apply external
      regulations and restrictions on the use of firepits. As a result, it will
      not be possible for us to dig into the ground to create a firepit. Instead,
      sheets of metal (and I believe sand) will be available to create an
      above-ground foundation for the building of the necessary campfires.
      Consequently, the number of fires in the encampment area may have to be
      limited and all participants are requested to keep their fires restricted to
      the appropriate sheets.

      FOOD
      Due to a high level of wastage at the Saturday night dinner in the last two
      years, It has been decided to put the resources spent on providing that meal
      into other elements of the event. However, breakfast will still be provided
      on both mornings by one of the local community groups.

      For my own part, I would hope that more of those reenactors who benefit by
      these morning "perks" at events would recognize the effort put in by the
      volunteers (who get up so early in the mornings to cook for us), by offering
      a simple thank-you to these people. I say this because at one event last
      year I witnessed one reenactor (a woman) tearing a strip out of one of these
      volunteers for not having the coffee ready when she wanted some.

      That's it for now. I'll be at the encampment throughout Friday if anyone
      has any questions or needs set-up positioning. See you there.

      Richard.

    • colsjtjones2000
      Message 2 of 4 , May 28, 2002
        Having been involved in this stuff for more than 20 years, I value
        the efforts which community organizations provide in feeding us.
        When I am receiving meals, I always compliment the serving people. I
        hope it makes them feel good about their activity so that they might
        want to perform that service in the next year and beyond.

        I rememember the problem with the coffee last year. I politely
        mentioned it to the site supervisor and it was shortly corrected. I
        suppose others did the same thing.

        But I agree with Richard that it is way out of line for someone to
        castigate a community volunteer.

        Doug

        -- In WarOf1812@y..., "R Feltoe" <feltoe@r...> wrote:

        snip

        r my own part, I would hope that more of those reenactors who
        benefit by
        > these morning "perks" at events would recognize the effort put in
        by the
        > volunteers (who get up so early in the mornings to cook for us), by
        offering
        > a simple thank-you to these people. I say this because at one
        event last
        > year I witnessed one reenactor (a woman) tearing a strip out of one
        of these
        > volunteers for not having the coffee ready when she wanted some.
        >

        > Richard.

      • Tom Fournier
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2008

          What a warm weekend at Stoney Creek! Not the weather! It was the
          outstanding hospitality of the site, staff and organizing committee!

          What a delightful weekend and we were thrilled to be part of it.

          All should feel proud of their efforts as they did a wonderful job.

          On behalf of the 41st Regiment, I thank you!

          Your most humble and obedient Servant,

          Tom Fournier, Captain
          41st Regiment of Foot
        • Susan Spencer
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 9, 2008
            Tremendous thanks to everyone who turned out for Stoney Creek this past
            weekend! Tom's being his usual understated self when he describes the
            weekend as "warm" - given that we were wearing polar fleece on Wednesday
            evening when laying out the camps, the sudden snap to 30+ temperatures
            (C) and high humidity on Friday morning was a more than a bit of a shock
            to the system!

            But all in all, it was a stunning weekend. I had several opportunities
            to watch both the Crown Forces and those of the Noble Opposition on the
            march to the field, and I have to say that you looked wonderful. So
            many of you have once again made those little upgrades to your
            impression over the winter - I was very impressed, and so was the
            public. I spent a lot of time answering questions this weekend, and the
            spectators were totally jazzed on the whole event. Those who had been
            coming for years really appreciated the differences in the battle
            scenarios this year, as well as the changes and additions to the camp
            life activities. They commented particularly on how gregarious all the
            reenactors were - how friendly and forthcoming with answers to questions
            and offers of demonstrations and explanations everyone was. Thank you
            so much, everyone, for pitching in and helping with all of that!!!

            As always, we would love to hear any feedback and suggestions that you
            might have on how to make the event better next year. Please feel free
            to forward your comments to Susan Ramsay, Curator of Battlefield House,
            at battlefield@.... We will be having a post-event roundup
            meeting in the very near future and would love to include your input as
            we begin the planning for next year.

            In closing -- on a more personal note, a huge thank you to everyone who
            helped me out after my little incident on Friday, and who checked in on
            (and watched over) me over the rest of the weekend. I was very touched
            by your concern - and by all of the donations of Gatorade and water that
            appeared! Yet another demonstration of how this great community of ours
            pulls together when one of us goes down.

            And now, on down the road! I'm off to F&I for a month or so, but shall
            look forward to seeing you at Niagara!

            Cheers,
            -- Sioux