Re: military courtesies

  • Roger Fuller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 1999
      Tim and List, as I don't have anything in Nap/1812 in print on military
      courtesies, would the following from the AWI Brit. Army still be at all
      valid for our era? I know much of it is for the Rifle Corps, at least
      in-unit, acc. to Coote-Manningham's 1800 regs for the Rifle regts.

      Click on: www.britishbrigade.org/courtesy.htm

      Roger Fuller

    • mmathews@xxxx.xxxxxx.xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 1999
        >From: "Roger Fuller" <fullerfamily@...>
        >

        >Tim and List, as I don't have anything in Nap/1812 in print on military
        >courtesies, would the following from the AWI Brit. Army still be at all
        >valid for our era? I know much of it is for the Rifle Corps, at least
        >in-unit, acc. to Coote-Manningham's 1800 regs for the Rifle regts.
        >

        > Click on: www.britishbrigade.org/courtesy.htm
        >
        >Roger Fuller

        I took a look, and at the whole Brit Brigade site too, very nice. But for
        those of us coming from a non-Anglo background, what does it mean when it
        says "recover" in various situations? Is that short for "recover your
        firelock" where the musket on the right hip, barrel about 45 degree
        position? Is that still appropriate for the War of 1812?

        In the meaningless trivia category we French types say, "redressez vos
        armes," or "recover your weapon." Of course we have much less pomp and
        circumstance in the line, common soldats not even required to rise when
        approached by someone of higher rank unless they are alone. In other
        situations only the NCO or senior soldat stands up to greet the officer,
        though the NCO may well require them to "levez" or rise up.

        TTFN,
        Michael

        Voice: (507) 285-7585 Fax: (507) 280-5568
        "Wit is educated insolence." -- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)