The Battle of Longwoods Event

    Message 1 of 19 , May 11, 2002
      From: <easeufe@...>

      > > Provincial Marines
      > >
      > Huh!
      >
      > Shouldn't it have been Provincial Marine (singular)?

      ______________

      Yes Edward, and that was my point, I received a list and read it.

      But, in fact there were three Provincial Marine Gun Crews
      so that could be construed as "Marines" ............ :^)
    • dancingbobd@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 19 , May 11, 2002
        Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
        given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the easiest
        job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing get off
        of the planned action.

        Regards,

        Bob Dorian
        USA
      • gord_1812
        Message 3 of 19 , May 11, 2002
          > From: "gord_1812" <gord1812@n...>
          >
          > Wouldn't the anouncer be on duty and have to
          > wear issue head dress?
          >
          > Gord,
          > Documentation tells us that the 1st
          Regiment Kent
          > Militia
          > were allotted green wool, but receipt of uniforms cannot be
          documented.
          > The 41st transferred Officers and NCOs to the Kents, and as well
          during
          > the capture of Detroit some were issued cast off 41st's coats. Thus
          the
          > Kents went into battle with a mish-mash of civilian and military
          kit. My kit
          > was a civilian hat (documented from 1779-1816) Upper Canada Militia
          > Sergeant's coat, 41st Regt. sash, grey wool trousers, grey wool
          gaiters,
          > buckled shoes-straight last. Which agrees with documentation on the
          Kents.

          Thanks for the update.

          > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
          Warrant?

          Sure anytime...You bring the beer.

          Gord
        • cplwattie
          Message 4 of 19 , May 11, 2002
            Point is, he did not ... some units are introduced as they march past
            the crowd, some are not. Is doing it for all if its done for one such
            a difficult concept?

            > Hey folks, give Larry a break! He told you that he reads what he is
            > given. Is that such a hard concept to grasp. His is not the
            easiest
            > job, having to describe what is happening, especially when thing
            get off
            > of the planned action.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Bob Dorian
            > USA
          • cplwattie
            Message 5 of 19 , May 11, 2002
              > Now good, Sir, shall we inspect your kit to whether it meats the
              Warrant?
              Say what you will about Cpl. Mitchell, there's never any meat on his
              kit. He devours almost all of it, and what few scraps are left over
              his lapdog Tetley snaps up.
              There's certainly none left over for any Warrant Officers.
              Cpl. Wattie
              (Bronze Medallist, Iron Loyalist Comp. '02)
            • davebevca
              Message 6 of 19 , May 12, 2002
                I find it unfortunate that some members of this list have nothing
                better to do than criticize another reenactor's efforts at
                Longwoods. Mr. Lozon cannot be expected to know the name of every
                fly-by-night re-enactment group that appears at an event. Nor can he
                be expected to know that the initials IMUC stand for the Volunteer
                Battalion of Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. If the members of
                that unit wish its name read out, they should register with the
                proper name of their unit not an acronym. As for identifying the
                units as they march past, Larry almost always recognizes the Royal
                Scots, as they come first in the column, and he usually recognizes
                the 41st and the 8th and I've never heard him miss the "corps
                du sauvage".
                Personally I find that Larry does as good a job as the announcer as
                any reasonable person could expect Larry to do.

                Dave.